German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to give coconut oil a try with the dogs and just started a few weeks ago.. going very slow with it, small amounts everyday. Up to about more than a tsp.

What I wanted to know - when will you start to notice any of the benefits? I can't tell yet.

My Lab obviously suffers from sensitive/itchy skin due to allergies either food-related and/or seasonal and she also gets ear infections that spring up out of nowhere, especially now since it's getting warmer out and the season is changing up. I was feeding fish oil before and it seemed to work for her coat, but recently stopped giving them because they are known to ruin easily with the temperature and I couldn't feed them to Sam because he was getting sick to his stomach from them. So, I switched to sardines in place of fish oil.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I would give the coconut oil for 3 months and then if I didn't see any improvement, I would stop. For the fish oil, I give the Nordic Pet Omega 3 gel caps and I haven't had any problem with spoilage or making my dog sick.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I started my dog on coconut oil for an ear infection and saw results within the week. Its now two weeks in and the ear is almost back to being 100% normal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I didn't know I could give my dogs coconut oil, I just give them half a coconut. I will definitely try this, thank you.

Can I do fish oil and coconut oil?

·
Premium Member
11,249 Posts
I've noticed that fish oil OR fish based food seems to result in a sebaceous cyst - my vet recommended Krill tabs for skin - dogs would pick them out and leave them tho...I used coconut oil for Kougar who got dandruffy as he got older, and they were great to hide his meds

I seriously doubt any small food additive is going to screw up a dogs temperament tho!

Lee

1 - 5 of 5 Posts