German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience or have heard about using coconut oil to brush your GSD's teeth? I recently saw something about this on tv where a vet was saying that you can use coconut oil mixed with a bit of baking soda on your dog's teeth. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
4,740 Posts
I think all that would do is encourage the dog to lick around his teeth and baking soda might be too much sodium, maybe. So perhaps in a pinch you could do that, but honestly, a tube of enzyme toothpaste isn't too expensive considering how long it lasts.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm sure it won't hurt if its only done occasionally. I think car2ner is right about the sodium concern and that this wouldn't be something that I'd use everyday. You could brush your teeth with baking soda alone and coconut oil safe for dogs to eat. I imagine that the coconut oil would act as a binder and be a little more effective than straight baking soda. There also MAY be some antibacterial properties to the coconut oil as well that could be beneficial to teeth, but I'm always skeptical when the next new super food comes along and people claim that it's good for EVERYTHING.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Ironically Dr Becker just posted a video about doing this on Facebook like 2 min ago (and I remembered seeing this post). Video was originally from Rodney Habib.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I dont use coconut oil at all with my dogs. IMO, it's a horrible and unhealthy new fad. Very fattening. Why not just buy a tooth paste made for dogs? Also keep in mind that plaque hardens in 48 hrs, so if you dont brush every single day then it's really not worth it to even do it. I find that a high quality food and appropriate chews have always been enough to keep my dog's teeth healthy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts