German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you feed with your kibble? If so, how much, how often?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
My puppy has a raw egg in her food daily, MSM powder as well. I have never given her coconut oil, but I have added fish oil on occassion.

Reactions: Nscullin

·
Super Moderator
9,217 Posts
I give both... whenever I have them on hand. Daily, weekly, monthly - I don’t really think about it. I also rotate oils (again, what I have on hand but usually avocado, fish, coconut).... if it’s new to your dog I would start off with a small chunk, maybe, a garbanzo bean size and work up to a teaspoon scoop. I don’t measure the other oils, just eye it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do you feed with your kibble? If so, how much, how often?

We have our own chickens and I will give Daphne my GSD one egg every other day. Sometimes raw, sometimes cooked. Now the coconut oil, I haven't given to her but I have used some in her fur during the winter when her coat gets dry.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I give both... whenever I have them on hand. Daily, weekly, monthly - I don’t really think about it. I also rotate oils (again, what I have on hand but usually avocado, fish, coconut).... if it’s new to your dog I would start off with a small chunk, maybe, a garbanzo bean size and work up to a teaspoon scoop. I don’t measure the other oils, just eye it.
Is there a certain amount of coconut oil that’s safe vs something unsafe? I would prob
Only ever use a teaspoon. Just would not want to do anything harmful to my
Pups

·
Registered
32,588 Posts
I feed raw so they get 1 egg per day. But I think the coconut oil is just hype. If I want extra fat in the summer when they are training regularly, I find an oil high in O3 to reduce inflammation. Instead of fish oil, I add sardines and mackerel to their diet.

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
I also add butter. I believe animal fat is more bioavailable to them than oil.
Coconut oil, I use externally on Hans. Rub a bit on my palms and apply to his coat. Gives a great shine, and isn’t greasy. The little one is able to eat a fantastic raw diet, so he doesn’t need this.

Reactions: Nscullin

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I feed raw so they get 1 egg per day. But I think the coconut oil is just hype. If I want extra fat in the summer when they are training regularly, I find an oil high in O3 to reduce inflammation. Instead of fish oil, I add sardines and mackerel to their diet.
Canned sardines?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup. usually in water. I just rinse them to get some of the salt out. Sometimes I use the ones in oil if I can find them NOT in soybean oil.
Thanks! Figured but just wanted to double check.

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
You can also find sardines in water with no salt at Amazon and Trader Joe.

Reactions: car2ner

·
Super Moderator
5,365 Posts
My two get a boiled egg each morning as part of their breakfast. They get fish oil chewies at the end of the day. I like to use the Coconut oil on my own skin and once in a while my dogs get a dab of it from my finger tips, but not very often. Mine get sardines a couple of times a month. A local store sells them very inexpensively.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
My dogs get eggs a few times a week. Out of the oils fish and olive oil are better choices then Coconut. I do like to use coconut oil on my feet in winter time paired with socks lol! Coconut butter taste good anyway, I also add various topping -egg,plain yogurt , goats milk meat dehydrated beef, been wanting to pick up sardines for the dry winter as I do feed kibble to make meal times exciting and more nutritious. I like to do raw but it is mostly once a week. They love raw food. I was baking turkey burgers (for myself) and I swear they both thought I was cooking their frozen raw patties lol! No joke!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts