German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three weeks ago I became the owner of a nearly 11 year old rescued German Shepherd named Sable. She is doing well and her coat is in absolutely wonderful condition. My challenge is this - I have pretty severe carpal tunnel syndrome and using a Furminator, undercoat rake and/or fine toothed comb causes my right hand to go in to spasms. Can anyone recommend a coat grooming tool or device that will remove her undercoat without causing me so much difficulty? Sable is learning to tolerate grooming sessions too, so we are making progress. It is apparent that she was probably never fully and appropriately groomed with an emphasis on removing her undercoat. She loves being brushed with a variety of brushes, however, they don't get the undercoat out.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Shannon

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Some dogs will tolerate being vacuumed. Another option is to ask a neighbor child to do it for you. My neighbor girl children think I'm doing them a favor by "letting" them brush my dogs.

·
Registered
31,597 Posts
Try the Zoom Groom. You don't need to press down on it to get the hair. I use that because my dogs hate the furminator and rakes.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I feel your pain, literally! I have the same problem as carpal tunnel but its in my elbows.

How about a slicker brush? The movement is much more subtle than using a furminator or comb. It gets the undercoat out, and if you were using that alone you could just do a couple short brushing sessions a day.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
coat grooming

Lin:
Thanks, I have been using a slicker brush. It does not get as much undercoat out as the fine toothed comb, but it is better than nothing. Sable's coat is so dense that, if I don't get the undercoat, she looks even fluffier than she truly is :blush:. Six months of virtually no exercise and lots of good salmon-based kibble, has made her "fluffy". If I get some of the undercoat out, she looks better. Exercise and weight reduction kibble are helping too.

Shannon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts