German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I consider myself an experienced gsd owner. 4th dog. But im not a breeder and had a couple questions regarding the coat. My last girl was a west german showline with some working pedigree, but she had the classic black and red stock coat you expect with a wgsl. Lots of shedding with monster hairballs with brushing.

My current girl is a working line sable short coat. Her hair is so much thinner than my previous girl. We have the normal shedding and much smaller hairballs after brushing. Do all sables have short thinner coat. Or are there long coated sables as well?

Ive also seen some dogs unsure of lines with long hair much longer than my wgsl that i had?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
There are long coat sables. There are long coats of every accepted color, as well as some of the faulted colors as well.

I am curious for some of the others with working lines to mention their experience with shedding. Do working lines shed less than show lines in general, or does it depend on the dog?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im interested in that as well. This is my first working line. Her hair is much thinner than my wgsl. Ill post pictures of both later.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I have two working line dogs. My WGWL dog sheds seasonally. It’s not terrible. She has a tight stock coat (she’s solid black). My male is a mix of DDR/Czech/WGWL and he sheds constantly. His coat is much, much thicker than my girl’s coat. He’s sable and also a stock coat.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
My girls are a mix of lines and are shedding like crazy. I don't know if there is one line more responsible for this, but I wish they stop and give me and my vacuum a break.

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
Your girl probably has a "tight" coat. My male does. His grandmother had a very tight coat. Just like some people have thin hair, curly hair, straight hair :) It's all in the genetics.

No...he does not shed any less!

·
Super Moderator
6,270 Posts
Depends on the individual dog, climate, season, diet, health, lifestyle, grooming routine.

My long coat showline doesn’t shed more or less than my WL, he just sheds “differently”. Even still, his coat quality has changed a bit with age, diet, lifestyle (swims a lot less) and geographic location. My WL blows his coat pretty religiously twice a year.... but this past year it’s been more constant because of thyroid issues.

In all honesty, you could probably find 3 different coat lengths/types that fall under “stock coat” and another 3 that fall under “long stock coat”....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts