German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,470 Posts
You’d have to use the search function to really dig into it. There are many posts. In short, I think Healthy Paws and Trupanion generally come out on top.... but it ultimately comes down to specifics within each policy that appeal to your individual preferences.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Brindle does not exist in the German Shepherd breed. It was a dominant color, like sable, and was bred out.
Hopefully Embark will help find out more regarding their true origin. The results will be at the very least interesting, as for myself I don't truly care if they turn out to be a mix. They are a family dog, and in their short time with us have been exceptional as family dogs. The vibe here has started to slide towards hostile, perhaps its just my interpretation. I don't mean your comment necessarily it was just the one I happened to be replying to when I got others. For yours: that may be the case, I have no idea, what genes are left. I have read that genes cannot simple cease to be carried any longer but rather will just become rare. The accuracy of that I also have no idea. However in the regards to brindle "Brindle is one of the recessive genes on the K locus. There are three K locus genes - K (dominant black, sometimes written as KB), kbr (brindle) and k (non-solid black - allows A locus to be expressed). K is the top dominant and k is the bottom recessive."
doggenetics.co.uk › brindle Are they reliable either, you guessed it I don't know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You’d have to use the search function to really dig into it. There are many posts. In short, I think Healthy Paws and Trupanion generally come out on top.... but it ultimately comes down to specifics within each policy that appeal to your individual preferences.
Thank you, Ill give those two a look, I started looking into others as well.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
They are cool looking dogs, and it would be nice to see what they grow into. I'm certainly not trying to be hostile. I sincerely hope the dogs have long and happy lives with you.
I do not like breeders breeding deliberately for off standard dogs, it is just an ethics thing for me. I suspected a connection there as I said, it was the only breeder I have knowledge of having a brindle stud.
Can't help with the insurance thing, I'm in Canada. But there are a ton of threads on the topic, and it's a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
6,470 Posts
Nah, no hostility from me either. You seem legitimately open and honest and interested and learning, that’ll go a long way. But with breed enthusiast... there is going to be a certain level of passion that you encounter on this board. Tone and intent can be hard to interpret via text. In a perfect world everyone would research the breed extensively prior to getting their first GSD and would only support reputable breeders but the truth is, we all started somewhere. I do hope that you’ll stick around....and better yet, start a welcome post letting us know a bit more about yourself, your pups names, more photos, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks for your help. You certainly weren’t hostile, it was just a cumulative vibe at the time. I got a bit defensive. They may be new members but they are still our pups.

·
Registered
30,884 Posts
Hopefully Embark will help find out more regarding their true origin. The results will be at the very least interesting, as for myself I don't truly care if they turn out to be a mix. They are a family dog, and in their short time with us have been exceptional as family dogs. The vibe here has started to slide towards hostile, perhaps its just my interpretation. I don't mean your comment necessarily it was just the one I happened to be replying to when I got others. For yours: that may be the case, I have no idea, what genes are left. I have read that genes cannot simple cease to be carried any longer but rather will just become rare. The accuracy of that I also have no idea. However in the regards to brindle "Brindle is one of the recessive genes on the K locus. There are three K locus genes - K (dominant black, sometimes written as KB), kbr (brindle) and k (non-solid black - allows A locus to be expressed). K is the top dominant and k is the bottom recessive."
doggenetics.co.uk › brindle Are they reliable either, you guessed it I don't know.

Hostile? I wasn't hostile or even personal.

The information I have is that the brindle gene was dominant, as the sable gene is. Which means, one parent has to be a sable in order for the puppy to be sable. If the puppy has the sable gene then it WILL be a sable. So the brindle was easily bred out by not breeding brindles. Look at the WGSL for example. They only have red and black saddle backs. Now, there is a dominant black that is coming out of an eastern European country and I can tell you that line looks exactly like a black WGSL but I would like to see the DNA on those dogs. A friend of mine imported one for a stud. He does throw black with dogs that by pedigree have zero black in the line. So is the dominant black a mutation like the Panda gene? Or did someone with a lax registry system slide a black dog from a similar type dog in there? Because I don't buy that it was always there and just suddenly showed up.

Since there hasn't been a brindle colored German Shepherd in any line for 100 years, I would think it's gone. If it were recessive, it could be hiding and pop up with 2 parents have it, like a liver or a blue does. It's possible the parent has a mutated color but I would hope in that case they had his/her DNA checked like they did when a Panda popped up.

Be careful using sites like that K9 Pines as reference. I question how legit they are with their breeding stock.

Personally, I think your dogs are a mix. Their heads scream Shepherd but their bodies are heavier than a GSD. They are going to be really stunning as adults. I hope you come back and tell us what the embark panel says.

Health Insurance : I have Healthy Paws and am really happy with them. Have had them for years, filed claims and only had one problem that after I refiled it and included a letter of 'what are you people doing?" with the information, it was paid within days. You'll hear good and bad on any product, if you are happy with the AKC insurance then no reason to switch.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Beautiful dogs, if you’re happy, then that’s all that matters. I do not support breeding outside of the accepted colors, however, you did not make that decision. The puppies are here now and they need a good home. I’m glad that you were able to provide them with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wondering if you got your DNA test sent off? Very interesting looking dogs and am curious of the test results. Hope you come back and give us an update.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Wondering if you got your DNA test sent off? Very interesting looking dogs and am curious of the test results. Hope you come back and give us an update.
Yes, I sent it off yesterday and got an email today from Embark that it is on its way to them. Not sure how they know that, maybe because they pay postage.

·
Registered
710 Posts
They certainly are striking. Honestly though, If they came with AKC registration papers, I'd insist on the breeder doing an AKC DNA parentage test. As mentioned, brindle isn't usually a pattern you see in GSD.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am now interested in what the testing results say! They have an amazing color pattern for sure! They do look a little beefy for GSD pups, but I'm still learning myself :)

They are beautiful pups, and most importantly, they look HAPPY, and from your posts, it seems you are also happy with them. and THAT is what truly matters :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have Healthy Paws for Steel. They've been wonderful to deal with so far - went through his vet records when I submitted them and found more claims than I submitted for (so I got more money back)
Very interesting pups you got. Very curious what the results from Embark say.

·
Registered
15,888 Posts
Oh shoot... Boards are much like a group of dog fanatics - as they are a group of dog fanatics. Skeptical of what others are doing. The OP is a brave soul for posting the picture of his pups. They look GSD enough to me. I seem to recall (OK here is my turn at skepticism) that someone had a PB GSD genetically tested and it came back many many things. So why bother with a genetic test on your dogs? As to the "they're too fat to be GSDs" ---- uh huh. sure. Barker the Younger the first -- PB GSD from well-regarded kennel. A barrel chested tank of a bitch that was hard to keep at 90# as an adult. She wasn't necessarily "fat" - you could feel her ribs pretty easily but she was a big, barrel chested, coaty.

They look like they will be delightful. Congrats on them as new additions in what sounds like a great home. Just remember to take a "yeah, well, so what" pill when reading responses to your questions on the board. Sometimes I've found it a very hard pill to find much less swallow. Remember we are like people training dogs - the only thing two of us agree with is that the third person is doing it wrong. It would be great if we could remember that our bluntness during discussions (a product of the instant communication/respond now deal) can negatively affect other people. And yeah I am the queen of blunt.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts