German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We recently got two new pups, a while after we lost our old Bi-color GSD. The breeder said they were brindle so I assume that is the case but doing a little digging found it difficult to pin point their coat/color type. They are 4 months old and brother and sister. Their siblings seemed to be a more traditional GSD look. I think I will be ordering an Embark test (update: test ordered) to see if I can find anything and if for nothing else a health picture. Meanwhile if anyone could shed a bit of light on the case. I do have their AKC papers. When it came to filling out their registration though there wasn't really a good description for their coat to choose from, brindle wasn't an option. (update: I will keep from calling them GSD pending the Embark test, heck after that even if its more comforting. I've recently learned after joining this group that AKC papers are meaningless in identifying a breed. Sad something so well regarded ends up being...paper. Please understand that I don't write this with ill will. I am just catching up to the reality of the situation. It is plainly clear that regardless of the potential however, these pups are at the very least greatly part German Shepherd. So hopefully I can stick around to receive future advice. Admittedly it had an air of hostility for a moment in here lol. These two are our pets they will only ever be our pets, neither will ever be breed and no body is trying to pull the wool over your eyes. I am here for help only to learn what I can.)
Elyas.JPG Birgitta.jpg Elyas getting new collar.jpg Elyas and Birgitta snow.jpg

·
Super Moderator
6,470 Posts
Since you are here, I assume these puppies are believed to be German Shepherds...

They are indeed brindle, however brindle was not an option on their registration paperwork because it is not a recognized color within the breed. Some say it’s extremely rare, some would say its extinct.

I would support an Embark test to give you insight as far as breed as well. You have papers, and you very well may have met two adult GSD on site, however a litter can have more than one sire. I suspect Akita.

These puppies, if GSD, would be considered extremely overweight... another reason to suspect another breed in the mix. Mastiff even? Farther back...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since you are here, I assume these puppies are believed to be German Shepherds...

They are indeed brindle, however brindle was not an option on their registration paperwork because it is not a recognized color within the breed. Some say it’s extremely rare, some would say its extinct.

I would support an Embark test to give you insight as far as breed as well. You have papers, and you very well may have met two adult GSD on sight, however a litter can have more than one sire. I suspect Akita.

These puppies, if GSD, would be considered extremely overweight... another reason to suspect another breed in the mix. Mastiff even? Farther back...
Thanks for the reply. I just now ordered the Embark test, should arrive Monday. The male weighed in at 39 pounds yesterday at the vet clinic, this is at 18 weeks old.

·
Super Moderator
6,470 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I just now ordered the Embark test, should arrive Monday. The male weighed in at 39 pounds yesterday at the vet clinic, this is at 18 weeks old.
Those numbers aren’t alarming... it’s more so their conformation. The male looks very thick / stocky in comparison to GSD pups of the same age, and the loose skin / roll over his thigh and flank area (sitting, collaring pic) seems excessive. In other breeds it’s not so unusual.

Either way, I’m really curious as to their results. I imagine they’ll grow up to be quite impressive and striking dogs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those numbers aren’t alarming... it’s more so their conformation. The male looks very thick / stocky in comparison to GSD pups of the same age, and the loose skin / roll over his flank area (sitting, collaring pic) seems excessive. In other breeds it’s not so unusual.

Either way, I’m really curious as to their results. I imagine they’ll grow up to be quite impressive and striking dogs.
We really like them, for us they are a family dog, so I'm interested in the Embark test results, but wont be terribly disappointed if they turn out a mix. In any case we like the results. What would be somewhat disappointing though is that would mean AKC lineage could be easily faulted. They are great pups though, we will love them regardless. Ill be sure to update the post as soon as we get the results back from Embark.

·
Super Moderator
6,470 Posts
What color were the presumed parents, out of curiosity?

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
They are stunning looking! In some pics they look like GSD's but not quite. My first thought was some funky sable stage, since sables do/can go through some odd stages, but that is really, decidedly, brindle.
Now the curiousity is killing me though! PLEASE let us know what embark comes back with, and keep posting pictures!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What color were the presumed parents, out of curiosity?
The Sir was said to be like them, and the mother typical GSD, sorry not sure what the actual term would be. I didn't see him unfortunately. In a possibly unrelated question, please excuse my ignorance on the subject but in regards to the parents on AKC papers what is all the acronyms such as: KBR, UKR, SBL? Again very ignorant of a lot of knowledge but I'm trying to dig in now to learn.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are stunning looking! In some pics they look like GSD's but not quite. My first thought was some funky sable stage, since sables do/can go through some odd stages, but that is really, decidedly, brindle.
Now the curiousity is killing me though! PLEASE let us know what embark comes back with, and keep posting pictures!
Will do, the Embark kit should arrive Monday. I only got the one, is there any advice on whether its more beneficial to test the male or the female or will it really not matter? This is the package that also covers health related information so if one or the other is advisable there either. If needed I could just order another kit too, lol.

·
Super Moderator
6,470 Posts
Interesting question... I have no idea but say go with the pup that will tolerate having it’s cheek swabbed for a minute to ensure the best collection.

I’m unfamiliar with those acronyms btw... I image some sort of working or show title if they’re listed directly after the sire or dams name.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Will do, the Embark kit should arrive Monday. I only got the one, is there any advice on whether its more beneficial to test the male or the female or will it really not matter? This is the package that also covers health related information so if one or the other is advisable there either. If needed I could just order another kit too, lol.
If your only curious about breed, test either. It should not make a difference.
I am just dying to know the answer! I simply cannot thick of any breeds that are commonly brindle that look possible. Can you post the pedigree? Lots of folks on here to help decipher them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If your only curious about breed, test either. It should not make a difference.
I am just dying to know the answer! I simply cannot thick of any breeds that are commonly brindle that look possible. Can you post the pedigree? Lots of folks on here to help decipher them.
I can once I get back home from work (2nd shift).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hold on, did you get them from K9 Pines?
I did not, I got them here in Michigan where I live, just an hour and twenty minutes north of me. I did come across K9 Pines while searching the web for brindle GSD though. Whats their story, they seem to frequently have unique dogs for sale.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
I did not, I got them here in Michigan where I live, just an hour and twenty minutes north of me. I did come across K9 Pines while searching the web for brindle GSD though. Whats their story, they seem to frequently have unique dogs for sale.
K9 Pines. Breeds for color, not a breeder I would support since they breed out of standard. I support health testing and proven work ability. Not necessarily titles, but proven working ability.
I was just curious since that was the only breeder I could come up with that has a brindle stud.

·
Registered
30,884 Posts
Brindle does not exist in the German Shepherd breed. It was a dominant color, like sable, and was bred out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
K9 Pines. Breeds for color, not a breeder I would support since they breed out of standard. I support health testing and proven work ability. Not necessarily titles, but proven working ability.
I was just curious since that was the only breeder I could come up with that has a brindle stud.
Its all coming together. I got them here in MI from a person named Dawn (Seemed a very nice person). The female was not originally available as she was going to what I thought I heard was SC. After your question I looked at K9-Pines website and read the about K9-Pines portion and found out they are out of NC. I told my wife in a text and she said she was going to look at the site too. She then sent me a a msg back with a picture. It gives a special shout out to her friend Dawn. Perhaps all coincidental but all the pieces seem to fit. I did not get them from K9-Pines, and the stud at the time was also apparently not K9-Pines but it seems they have a new brindle stud heading their way. So in a round about way they just may have connection to K9-Pines. After your comment I'm not sure that is a good thing lol, but we got them as family pets, and they have been great so far. We love them. I included the snip it my wife sent that put me thinking all this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i’d invest in heath insurance.
:) I've actually already done that (more so because my last GSD who was a rescue ended up with Addison's). I got AKC's insurance with the additional add-ons, though I've read a lot of bad things about their insurance since getting it. Any recommendations on insurance? Kinda turning into a rather negative experience getting new pups. However, they themselves have been great, and its a done deal.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts