German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a GSD who is about to turn 6 months old. We live in Florida, and he recently caught a pretty significant Upper Respiratory Infection. He’s been on a 2 week course of antibiotics and fully isolated from other dogs. Over the past two weeks, we seen deterioration of his coat. He eats Taste of the Wild- Pacific Steam puppy, and up to now has always had a shiny coat. There is no evidence of fleas/mites/parasites and the skin is not red or inflamed at all. I’m wondering if anyone has any insight as to the cause. Could it be due to the fact he’s been sick, is this just his puppy coat changing or maybe we’re getting close to fall- seasonal change?
Added pics to show how it was on Aug 1st, and how it also looks today! Thanks!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Can't tell much from the picture, but it wouldn't hurt to give a course of probiotics to counter some of the effects of the antibiotic killing off good gut bacteria.
Could also be a skin yeast infection starting - also a side effect of antibiotics. See linked article on what good vitamins
get depleted when using antibiotics.
I'm also in Florida and my young GSD is already putting out her winter coat, just in the last week or so. yours could be
putting out it's undercoat for winter. My dog doesn't seem to be doublecoated so she looks a little different. I'd still watch for any itching or scratching just to be safe. I'd also put your dog on a good multi-vitamin/mineral supplement.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts