German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an almost 11 month old GSD. He is supposed to be a long coat.

Back story:

At about 4 months old he started itching. Vets decided it was allergies- put him on special food, meds, cyptopoint, etc etc. It got worse and he started loosing chunk of hair and uncontrolled itching. Vets (yes plural) had no clue what was going on. Finally decided we should go see a derm vet about 7ish months of age. We walked in the office and she said he had mange- tested him and positive. Got meds- cleared up and we're good to go. He was also on a bunch of antiboitics and meds for yeast infections on and bacterial infections on skin.

The last 4-6 weeks his fur seems to have stopped growing and his outer coat seemed to all fall out except for the nape of his neck. The rest if very puppy/undercoat like. Soft and fuzzy. It is a full coat. Just weird.

Anyone knowledgeable about dog coats and know if this may be because of all the trauma to his skin? Or do we have other issues going on?

·
Super Moderator
6,286 Posts
Without photos and looking at your last post, I’m wondering if the furminator is the culprit. I won’t touch my LHGSD with one! Overuse can damage the top coat by cutting the hairs and ultimately causing a “fuzzy” appearance.

Just a thought. Photos would definitely help.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Without photos and looking at your last post, I’m wondering if the furminator is the culprit. I won’t touch my LHGSD with one! Overuse can damage the top coat by cutting the hairs and causing a “fuzzy” appearance.

Just a thought. Photos would definitely help.
I've only used an undercoat rake on him and it has been awhile with that because he just hasn't had the hair to need to be brushed.

But I'll see if I can post some pictures tomorrow.

(If I posted about a furminator before it would have been for my GSD that passed away a year ago)

·
Super Moderator
6,286 Posts
(If I posted about a furminator before it would have been for my GSD that passed away a year ago)
Totally. Seeing the post just made it cross my mind.
When was the last time you had bloodwork done on your current boy?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts