German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
collagen , is a major body component , including cartilage , intervertebral discs (which is why chicken necks are a good source) - ligaments / tendons (downed pasterns) , skin (fat scraped pork skin is an excellent source of collagen) , and organs , blood vessels , eyes .

A good source of protein is important . Animal sources of protein are important and the food you are feeding , by product , seems low. I had to tackle this when the Toronto Raw and Vegan festival asked me to participate reprepresenting animal care . In addition to the PETA group who felt dogs should not be owned, there were those that dedicated to sharing their dietary philosophy with their animals , dogs and "cats!" . I was there for two consecutive years . Good training , of the stand and deliver sort -- did lead to further study and inquiry.

Eggs are about as good a source of protein , including matrix builing proline , lysine , as you can get.

Collagen is helped by anthocyanidins --- and vitamin C , but the complete form which includes rutin . add antioxidants and anti inflammatory omega 3 's

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
by the way coyotes are virtual moving machines, very co-ordinated , rhythmic movement , good tight ligaments and muscle. We have so many in our "yard" acres that we recognize them as individuals -- named the undertakers, the teenager, and big sinister. Now they have their young out - no clumsiness .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So what kind of dry food does everyone else feed their GSD? I have access to Eagle, CANIDAE, Royal Canin, and Diamond.

I was thinking about switching to Canidae and found some bad reviews.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
So what kind of dry food does everyone else feed their GSD? I have access to Eagle, CANIDAE, Royal Canin, and Diamond.

I was thinking about switching to Canidae and found some bad reviews.
I wouldn't feed any of those.

Do you have Fromm available near you? If not, you can always have it shipped.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Found Fromm at a local Kennel. They stock the Fromm Adult Gold or can order other styles for me. She said it's what she feeds her own dogs. She also told me that to her knowledge they have never had recall issues unlike other brands.

Would Adult Gold be a good choice?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Ztekdesign:

You have a lovely American Show Line style GSD puppy. With a fairly high degre of certainty, I can tell you that he will grow in to his angulation as me matures. Over the years, I have heard vet after vet tell ASL puppy owners that their dogs are crippled, dysplastic, in pain, you name it - all because they are angulated and look more extreme as babies than they do as adults.

Please relax, offer him a good quality large breed puppy or adult food and just let him mature. Exercise and good food will help and time will do most of the rest.

He is beautiful and very typical of this type/style of GSD. I have been raised with them and have one myself, so I understand.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Just picked up some Fromm Gold Large Breed Puppy. A local kennel stocks it and she feeds it to her own dogs. The ingredients look really good and the company responded to my email right away with helpful tips on the right formula and proper feeding instructions. I have heard a lot of good things about them so I'm going to give it a try. He seems to like the taste better too.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I think you will be happy with the Fromm. That is exactly the formula I raised Beau on. ........nowadays the Large breed puppy foods tend to be lower in protein and in calcium than the adult foods and promote slow growth.

·
Registered
156 Posts
So Many Choices

This is an old thread. You might do better if you read or posted in “Feeding Our Puppy.”

Your GSD puppy has blue eyes?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Blue German Shepherds. ... This is not only because their eyes often stay blue even after adulthood, but because the recessive gene that causes the blue eye color can also cause the darker patches of hair on the animal to appear more blue or silver in hue rather than the usual black.

·
Registered
31,574 Posts
Blue German Shepherds. ... This is not only because their eyes often stay blue even after adulthood, but because the recessive gene that causes the blue eye color can also cause the darker patches of hair on the animal to appear more blue or silver in hue rather than the usual black.

Nothing about this is correct.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts