German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the funny walk and clumsiness just part of being a German Shepherd pup? I just bought a 15 week old pup from a breeder that walks clumsy and has a very low profile to his rear. He isn't in pain and gets around fine, just clumsy. She had two other dogs from that same litter that she is keeping for herself that walked exactly the same. It's almost funny like. He has a good background according to the AKC pedigree and she gave me a written guarantee. She was also a recommend breeder by a few other breeders. Also he has very big feet and is all out of proportion.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I wondered that with my male pup as well. His rear end looked askew and when he walked his back legs were wobbly. Got him checked at the vet and his hips seemed fine, that was when he was about 3 months old. He's now 7 months and his legs have come right now. He also has massive paws and is going to be a rather big boy when fully grown.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Some pups are definitely very loose and clumsy as puppies. You can always post a video of your pup walking and running for us to look at.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I think he is just in an Awkward stage. He has huge legs, huge paws, a long body and huge ears. He looks like a kangaroo right now. :) Like I said his siblings looked and walked just as funny. We are just nervous. I spent a lot for him and so far he is a really good dog. I did some research and calling around to other breeders and this breeders was recommended by others. She also seemed very sincere about shepherds when talking with her. He is also a "show" type breed. So he has that really low rear end that I notice some shepherds don't have. Might also have something to do with his walk.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I think he is just in an Awkward stage. He has huge legs, huge paws, a long body and huge ears. He looks like a kangaroo right now. :).

My mum claimed that all puppies went through a stage she called 'the uglies'. Slash puppy walked around for months looking like a coyote.

Jelpy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll try and get a video of him in the next day or two. Then the experts can give me a their feedback.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a video of him. Not the best video but some video. He seems to do better outside then inside on the hard floor. I have noticed some improvement in his walk and energy now that he has settled in to our home.

Winston - YouTube

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
American show lines? Pretty typical of puppies from those lines to be all loosey-goosy like that. I think that is just normal puppy ackwardness and will grow out of it.
Though you can find clumsy, ackward puppies in all the lines

Hard to see from the video, but maybe his pasterns are down? Can you post a picture of him from the side, standing? I'd be more concerned with him having down pasterns than his rear legs, from what I saw, though being down in the pasterns is fixable and he may outgrow it - so no need to panic!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, He was bred to be a show dog. Right now his legs and paws are huge compared to the rest of his body. They are as big as the legs and feet on my 12 year old Golden Retriever. He is going into the Vet on Thursday for a checkup and I will have them look at his walk also. I"m just hoping it's an awkward stage and he grows out of it.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Hard to see from the video, but maybe his pasterns are down? Can you post a picture of him from the side, standing? I'd be more concerned with him having down pasterns than his rear legs, from what I saw, though being down in the pasterns is fixable and he may outgrow it - so no need to panic!
That's what I was thinking too. He looks like he's walking on his hocks.

Could you post a better video of him closer up?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll try and get better video for you to look at. Puppies don't cooperate very much. :) Every time I get close to him he wants to start bouncing around or he lays down.

·
Super Moderator
5,898 Posts
Yep, pasterns and hocks are down. Keep in touch with your breeder to see what they recommend you do (or don't do) to get those to pop back up. Apparently not uncommon in American showlines. I saw a puppy last month who was really down in her pasterns, and they just came up overnight.

Pretty puppy, btw! Love his name.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the feedback. I'm a little nervous now. :(
He is such a good pup. I'm hoping he snaps out of it. We haven't had him even a full week yet but it Seems to have gotten better. Until later in the day when he gets tired. I'll talk with the vet tomorrow at his appointment and after that consult with the breeder. Although I asked her about it once already and she told me it was a stage he would grow out of. Her other pups walked the same way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've just started reading about foods, exercise and supplements. Has anyone out there had any experience trying to improve a dog with this condition? Right now he is on Nutrena Loyall Puppy Food 31/20. 2 cups in the morning and 2 at night. (although he doesn't always eat it all) He was raised in more of a kennel type atmosphere and now he is free to run in a huge grassy / hilly yard with the kids. I'm hoping the extra exercise will help.

·
Super Moderator
5,898 Posts
Some evidence that a lower protein food helps with the down pasterns. And the running on the grass is good. :) Don't get panicky.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
I was picturing far worse than the video showed .

not so impressed with the food "
Ingredients

Chicken by-product meal, brewers rice, ground whole wheat, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), corn gluten meal, ground whole corn, dried plain beet pulp, natural chicken flavor, menhaden fish meal, whole flaxseed, vegetable oil, dried egg product, extracted hydrolyzed citric acid fermentation presscake dehydrated, bentonite, potassium chloride, salt, propionic acid (preservative), vitamins: (vitamin E supplement, niacin supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin A supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity)), minerals: (zinc amino acid complex, ferrous sulfate, iron amino acid complex, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, manganese amino acid complex, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, ethylenediamine dihydroiodide), brewers dried yeast, yucca schidigera extract, mixed tocopherols (preservative), citric acid (preservative), rosemary extract"

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What does everyone else feed their GSD? The loyall Puppy food he is getting now is 31% protein 20% fat. That is what the breeder sent him home with.

What % of Protein and Fat would be better for a dog with Pastern and Hock issues?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My Golden Retriever is on Diamond Chicken and Rice. He has done well with that. Has anyone used the Diamond Large Puppy Lamb and Rice?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts