German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My baby is 27 pounds...and looks AWFUL!!!! All tests have come back fine, and doc says he is "at the skinniest he wants to see him" I am to add wet canned food to his dry kibble and no more "waiting out the stubbornness". He is so scrawny looking in the belly at I was actually embarassed!!!! Doc says that he was on the verge of prescribing me dog food they give to ABUSED dogs who come in emaciated!!!!! I feel like a HORRIBLE mom and I am going to be working HARD on getting him good! We have a 10 pound weight gain goal for the next visit by next month.

Please pray I can get him looking like he should!

Other than that he loved on all the vet techs, made a very old female weimereiner shake with anxiety when he barked with his butt in the air and I was ashamed that he caused the 15 year old gal to shake so bad! And then....as he is now learning to do at every visit...he fell asleep in the exam room! LMAO!!!!

today 27.1 pounds at 12 weeks and a day. (last visit he was right at 20 pounds at 9 weeks and a day)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OH!!! And one girl who works there asked about his name and I was STOKED when she finished my sentence and said how very cool it was that I named him after the dog in Stephen King's new book "Under the Dome". :D

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Good luck with your boy. Just curious though, since a lot of people are used to seeing over weight dogs, and Clover should be entering the gangly awkward stage. Do you think you could post recent pics of your boy so we can see just how scrawny he is. lol Whenever we do weight checks. lol we need pics that look like this....these were from when I first got Dakota. You basically want one from the side. And one from above. :)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i will get pics posted in the morning....he is finally quiet in the crate downstairs! ;)

I can tell you he is WAY thinner than your boy there. :( At 15 weeks, or even 20 weeks I would get the gangly phase...but he is only 12 weeks and should NOT be this skinny. :(

I appreciate all the help though and will be sure to post pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Not a problem. :) That was at 19 months, but I understand what you mean. Looking forward to pics tomorrow. If he is underweight I know there are threads on here for dogs that need to gain weight. And has he still been having soft poop? And I'm guessing he is still not eating as well as he should?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well he has been snubbing his kibble (keep in mind that I went with the Innova after DAYS of research and even after he chose two different ones himself, I went agrainst even his wants. (he *is* the one eating it, ya know?) anyhow he *should* be eating 2-3 cups per meal 2 Xs a day....I am LUCKY if he eats 2 cups a day TOTAL! That would be the equivilant of us just eating breakfast every day...sure its going to sustain life...but we are going to look like crap doing it! (or super thin...which may be a new diet option for myself! ha!) Anyhow the doc wants me to try the richer canned foods and use 1/2 a can per meal mixed with kibble. I dont want to be roasted for following a doctor's orders, so I wont say what he is eating now...but his first meal was SCARFED down with begging for more and included 2 1/2 cups of kibble and 1/2 can of wet food. The vet likes the idea of me giving him the raw foods too (but did the usual warning against pork and chicken and salmonella with 2 small kids in the house) and wants me to continue the meaty treats too. I am thinking we may have hit pay dirt with a combo now and only 3 weeks will tell! He was a very lovable happy boy after eating such a big meal earlier...and I got all teary when he gave me kisses after finishing it all! I was so happy! I felt so bad for fretting so much over his welfare and he still was considered "maxed out skinny wise" by a vet who is awesome, and also does NOT support overweight dogs and DOES support Raw foods. (he is awesome!) I am also going to be trying the meat tenderizer tomorrow to work on the Coprophagia too. His poo has been on and off firm wise depending on the day really...and now that he is eating wet food, i know wet poo is coming...but it is all secondary to me. Right now I just want my baby boy to be healthy! :)

Thanks for letting me ramble on! :)

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
You can't tease me like that Robin... not fair. What canned do you have him on? I was going to say if he needed to have canned added, there are lots that are great for mixing in with kibble. Eagle pack Holistic select is quite..... mushy so it mixes well. I am so Glad little clover is eating. Also since he still has some tummy upset, I would still add in a tad bit of canned plain pumpkin to help his tummy settle, plus pups think its yummy!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do need to get the canned pumpkin still....thanks for reminding me as I am shopping in the morning. The canned food is very rich in nutrients, but the doc assured me the "small" amount per day is not going to have more negative effects than positive. Right now I will leave it as the same company makes both his kibble and his canned. ;)

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
2-3 cups per meal, two meals a day?

Wow.. I believe with CUllen, the TOTW serving size at his weight is like.. 1 1/2 or 2 cups per day! But then.. I only give him about.. 3/4 to a cup in the morning with a bit of wet TOTW.. and dinner he gets half of his recomended RAW....

·
2,967 Posts
Do you want to see a horrid skinny puppy? Anka at 12 weeks looked like a starvation victim. Her legs shot up and she was all kinds of awkward. She was well fed though, 3x a day as much as she would eat in a session and worm free...It was just a horrid skinny stage and she tended to be on the thin side until she started to mature. She seemed to change daily and within a week was no longer looking nearly as bad.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I lied... Not intentionally.. but .. LOL serving size is 2 1/4-3 1/2 cups per day. forgot that I factor in the canned!

I will never give them food with grains again... but I don't think I am switching ot full raw. Long story, going to post maybe... but Cullen .. I can stick my hand in his bowl and he is fine.. but when it comes to Raw.. especially bones, at 9 weeks old he snaps and growls at me, and I refuse. Between the other Shepherds I have had, and PIT BULLS all my life, this is the first instance of food aggression I have ever had!

·
2,967 Posts
I have to admit to being a little remiss in taking pictures of Anka because she was child #2...I know that she was 16.5 lbs when we brought her home at 8 weeks. You can't tell but she's a pretty tall bitch. I think she's probably about 70lbs now.
But she was this at 9 weeks...

Then you can see above what 12 weeks looked like...
And then next set of puppy shots I have are from 6 months...You can see she's still lean, but not horribly so.

And at 1.5 years she's starting to fill out nicely.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
VaBeach- I understand completely. Clover is on the Innova LB Puppy and it *has* grains....hence why I know he didnt choose this one himself. (and I am aware of how stupid that sounds, but I was desperate for an opinion other that 500 differing ones on here, lol, and his seemed important enough to a degree) I finally went against my feelings and his and went with the Innova, which was great for the first 3 days...and then slacked off...and more...and more...til it has become nibbling enough to live and nothing more.

Now I think we have it figured out and I am praying for this to work!! I love how easy going my vet was about feeding raw foods to him and I expected the worse seeing how many people here have had issues with their vets trying to talk them out of anything Raw related. I will never go 100% raw either...Kibble is too easy and is still a fine food for our dogs. I like having kibble on hand in case I get sick and cant get to the grocery store, or if money is tight he has a tupperware container of ready to eat food. :) Having a few dead deer in the freezer next year wont hurt! ;) :wild:

JKLatsky Thank you SO much for posting those pics. I feel a LOT better knowing that maybe this is partly natures way....but considering she WAY eating and Clover *isnt* still may make this case a bit different with just the same result...a very underfed lloking animal! :cry:
Either way I thank you all as usual for letting me get through this next hurdle! I am praying that we meet this goal in March!!! Lucky shamrocks is what I need! ;)

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I am going to go out on a limb and Assume you are feeding EVO!!!!! lol Which is totally cool. if he is doing better with eating his food than woo hoo. Also, from what I can tell the Ca is not as high in the canned as it is in the dry, So i wouldn't even worry about that.

One worry for me would be over feeding. Would it be possible to feed him 3 meals? I guess you can wait and see how is poos are for a week. If he starts firming up and then has runny poo at the end I would reduce some of the food, or give him some of his food for lunch so he isn't eating so much at once. Poor little guy. :)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you Kira! :wub:

You are very good at guessing games...if you could maybe lend me the mega millions numbers next? yes? ;)

I will deffinately be keeping an eye on his stools as always. I will see if he has any more issues and will be getting the pumpkin tomorrow.

Do you think the pumpkin and tenderizer will effect his stools? or should i wait a few days and see how the new food combo goes before adding more stuff in?

I went with my gut on the canned food since its by the same company and approved by the vet, and he also eats the dry kibble as training snacks with no itching or belly issues. (although honestly more than not his stools are nice and firm now...but good LAWD what do they put in innova???:sick: holy ****!)

Thanks for not deep frying me! :D

1 - 20 of 71 Posts