German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past 24 hours have been a bit stressful, I thought we were going to lose Noire.. and i'm still a bit nervous.

She was scheduled to be spayed today, she was in heat last month and has been out for a few weeks now. Her appetite had been funny the past few days but I didn't think too much of it, sometimes she gets finnicky. Dropped her last night at the vet for her surgery today, and upon examination the vet didn't like what she was feeling. Commented that the uterus felt very large and very "mushy", and expressed concern about what they were going to find in the morning.

After worrying all night and all this morning about her they finally gave me an update. Pyometra, as expected, and her ovaries looked.. absolutely horrific. I can't even explain what they looked like, so they were sent out for biopsy. Her hips are so bad they couldn't even tie her legs properly and they had to have a tech hold them during the surgery instead. The incision was a bit larger than normal, and she had to cut through muscle.. so it's going to be a tough recovery.

She was supposed to stay for a few days and recover at the hospital but they had me take her home tonight, because she won't eat for anyone else. So now I have an ex-pen set up with her bed, and I have a feeling i'll be spending the night on the living room floor tonight. :( I got her to eat a few small pieces of cheese, but she's really not interested in food. She looks so out of it and uncomfortable.

I'm so glad the spay was scheduled when it was, I never even noticed any symptoms of the pyometra other than the appetite.

Please keep your fingers crossed for us, I'm hoping she recovers well.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Oh, poor baby. Fingers are crossed for a speedy recovery.

I'll admit, I'm starting to freak out over the idea of taking Shasta in to be spayed.

·
Super Moderator
32,430 Posts
Oh wow, how scary! Glad you caught it in time, and I hope she's feeling better soon. :hugs:

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Sending prayers for a full recovery!

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
Healing thoughts for Noire...wow! How scary that must have been. Maybe tomorrow she'll like a bit of scrambled egg?
I see from your signature she is about 8? Did she ever have pups?
Pyometra scares me, I warned a friend with an intact 9 yr old yellow lab about this, she had no idea that there is a risk with older females.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I hope she makes a full and speedy recovery- hope you get some rest on that floor tonight. I know you wouldn't be anywhere else.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Wow - scary indeed!

Good news is she has you to care for her... I have spent a few nights on the floor as well with my pups, the only place I would want to be when my fur-kids are under the weather.

Hope all is well from here on out!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Sending healing thoughts your way.

Just checking in to see how Noire is doing this morning and if either one of you was able to get some sleep last night.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see from your signature she is about 8? Did she ever have pups?
I have no idea, I got her back in September and the "kennel" that gave her to me said they didn't breed her, but they aren't exactly what I would consider to be a decent breeder by any means. They wouldn't give me her paperwork, and more or less accused me of taking their "aggressive", old and dysplastic dog to use for breeding. :rolleyes:

Noire slept well last night, can't exactly say the same for myself.. but I would rather have her sleeping comfortably than myself. Odin even spent the night down on the floor with us, instead of his usual spots around the house. :wub:

I wasn't expecting her to come home last night so I didn't get a chance to run and grab decent canned food, so all I had last night and this morning was Pedigree canned that she won't eat (not that I blame her..). She wouldn't eat the cheese this morning, but ate a small piece of chicken. I'm going to go after work and grab a bunch of different types of canned and see what works, and if that doesn't work i'll try cooking stuff up for her. I didn't want to pill all (6!) of her meds this morning on an empty stomach, put if I can't get her to eat on her own by this afternoon i'm going to have to do something.. she can't just not take them.

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone :)

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
Glad she slept well...scrambled egg is an easy start if a dog isn't into food. They will usually eat it.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Sending healing thoughts! :)

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts