German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Curious if anyone has had any experience with Clomicalm. We have an incredible 3 year old male, Tito, who is so great with our two boys (3 and 4 months) but suffers from massive dog reactivity issues and extreme anxiety. His prey drive is through the rough but he’s grown increasingly territorial of the yard which has us permanently on edge, especially after he broke through our cedar fence last year. We recently reached back out to our trainer who did all of his obedience and early reactivity training and she suggested asking our vet for something to take the edge off. She said his anxiety is worse then any dog she’s worked with. The vet prescribed us Clomicalm, hoping to see some positive results!

If anyone has any experience with this drug please share!

Thanks!

·
Registered
294 Posts
"We are medicating dogs in a manner that parallels the use of drugs in human psychiatry yet there are few studies on the long-term use of these medications, and that should give us pause. Such drugs come with side-effects, major health and welfare warnings regarding how the drugs affect the workings of the heart, the liver and the kidneys as well as the brain. Selective publication of clinical trials on psychotropic drugs also could lead to a bias about their perceived effectiveness, according to a study led by researchers at the Portland Veterans Affairs Medical Center (New England Journal of Medicine, 2008). The study examined 74 FDA-registered studies for a dozen antidepressants and found that most studies with negative results were not published in scientific literature or were published in a way that conveyed a positive outcome.
So do they really work? Although I am sure there are dogs out there that have benefitted from such drug protocols, it has been my personal experience over these last thirty years that medication has neither improved a dog’s life nor his ability to learn. Across all areas of dog training, I have worked with dogs already on medication when I first encountered them, and not one demonstrated any improvement in their condition. Some of them had become zombie-like, but that is not healing. My own Yorkie, Sammy, is now 10 years old but he first came to me the age of six months with “history.” The original owner took him to an animal behaviorist who did every possible test, and extensive blood work. They found nothing medically wrong with the poor guy, yet turned to the prescription pad. The behaviorist wanted to put him on Prozac. When the owner initially brought him to me for an evaluation, I saw nothing but a lively little puppy. Not in a million years would I have imagined myself owning a Yorkie but after having him here for two weeks, I asked the owner to sell him to me: I had fallen in love
." - Ivan Balabanov

1 - 2 of 2 Posts