German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Like many GSD owners, I've done away with the rugs in my house. Better for my allergies, anyway!
I recently moved to a house that still has 30 year old wall-to-wall broadloom in the living room. Fortunately, the living room has bifold doors I can close to keep the dogs out. Unfortunately, the cat very quickly learned how to open the bifold doors. However, he usually only comes in to keep me company when I'm watching TV, and, of course, if the dogs try to push the doors wider to get inside, I shoo them out.

I used to have a Filter Queen, but found the carpet attachment wasn't up to coping with German shepherd hair. I bought a Bissell Pet Vac, and have been quite pleased with it for doing carpets. Unfortunately, it SUCKS for floors! It tends to push the mounds of hair in front of it, and only suck them up if you can trap the hair between the wall and the vacuum. So, for the last 10 years or so, I have mainly swept my floors.

Like most uprights of this type, the Pet Vac has a dirt cup that is far too small for GSD owners. When I still had rugs, I'd vacuum one rug, which was 8x10 ft., then empty the cup, and vacuum the second smaller rug. The ONLY time it clogs is if you don't empty the cup often enough. The vacuum has a 'full' indicator for the cup, but I really can't tell you if it works or not, because I totally ignore it, and empty the cup early and often, because getting the thing unclogged is a real chore! In this case an ounce of prevention is worth WAY more than a pound of cure!!

The beater brush on the Bissell is driven by a belt. In the time I've had the vac, I've only had to replace it once, and that was because I did something stupid: I tried vacuuming the outdoor carpet on the back deck, which was falling apart. It ate up a string of carpet, got it wound around the brush, which stopped the brush from rotating. The belt could only stand a few seconds of this before it broke. Replacing the belt required a screwdriver, but it wasn't all that hard.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I went through one of those Bissell pet vacs. You have to vacuum backwards. It picks up reverse so you have to walk backwards with it. Bizarre. And it has that cute little cup for your cute little short haired dog...

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Buckelke, hmm, never thought of that! I'll give it a try to see if it helps on the bare floors!

And it has that cute little cup for your cute little short haired dog...
LOL, yeah, too true!

41 - 44 of 44 Posts