German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
We are having carpeting installed next weekend in the formal living room, which is the room we spend most of our time in, other than my bedroom. All the hard surface flooring does a number on my neck. We only have a bare floor vacuum now, but when I had carpeting before, I always bought the cheap Bissel one, like 30-40 bucks at Walmart. They cleaned up hair and dirt that both my shark and dyson didn’t touch. And when they broke, I was only out 40 bucks at the most, and it is cheap to replace. I had one that lasted 5 years without an issue. I do take the roller out once or twice a month, and rehair it. A baby bottle brush does wonders once you have the roller out to clean the part that first sucks up the stuff. I’ve even shoved the baby bottle brush down the detachable hoses as well, gets all the crap clinging to the sides and in the grooves.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Do you clean/change the filter regularly? It's not just hair, but fine dust that can clog my cleaner.
It looks like you are probably right. We are going to change the filter when I can get one. I didn’t realize a dirty filter reduces the suction so there isn’t enough force to pull the hair inside the bag and expand the bag.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
It looks like you are probably right. We are going to change the filter when I can get one. I didn’t realize a dirty filter reduces the suction so there isn’t enough force to pull the hair inside the bag and expand the bag.
Give your current filter a good brush with an old dry toothbrush, it could get you operational again.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have all hardwoods and a few area carpets in a few rooms, but the rooms he is allowed in are mostly hardwood. I have a bag free filter free canister central vacuum, works really well. Like a shop vac for the entire house. No clogs yet. Also have a Roomba, but it's been hard to run it as he barks and chases it. The thing is so loud it's tough to run at night and not wake up.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Update, because I know you are all waiting anxiously for news about my vacuums. I took the German vac to the repair shop and started chatting with the owner about dog hair clogs in vacuums. His family also has big, challenging dogs with a lot of fur. He ended up taking the whole thing apart including the motor and found a huge, stubborn clog that bypassed the bag and ended up stuck in the motor itself. I don’t know how they stay in business because the repair was very inexpensive so now I have one working vacuum, a second that needs a new filter and the very old, free Oreck that will probably sit in the closet until someone (not me) has the time to take it apart and put it back together.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Update, because I know you are all waiting anxiously for news about my vacuums.
But of course we are! :)
That's nice that he found the clog and repaired it inexpensively! I'm not sure how you would prevent it from happening again, except change the bag a lot?

(I have no vacuum tips...my husband (physicist) works with Vacuum Chambers in his lab. He pumps them down close to the Vacuum of space...So of course, the workings of a household vacuum are easy to him...he kept the last one running since 1994...)

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Update, because I know you are all waiting anxiously for news about my vacuums. I took the German vac to the repair shop and started chatting with the owner about dog hair clogs in vacuums. His family also has big, challenging dogs with a lot of fur. He ended up taking the whole thing apart including the motor and found a huge, stubborn clog that bypassed the bag and ended up stuck in the motor itself. I don’t know how they stay in business because the repair was very inexpensive so now I have one working vacuum, a second that needs a new filter and the very old, free Oreck that will probably sit in the closet until someone (not me) has the time to take it apart and put it back together.
I was waiting with bated breath! Glad you got it fixed.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
I’m a weirdo and like taking things apart. Lucky for me, I have a knack at putting them back together and them working great, just to find odd parts on the ground that didn’t make it back into whatever it was (fans, Xbox's, playstations, so so so many vacuums, our pool pump). So I actually find it super interesting to hear about hair in a motor. When my fans go kaput, I know it’s because hair/fur has gotten wrapped around motors. I love taking apart the pool filter and seeing all the dogs hair all clumped in there. It’s satisfying to clean. And then monthly we have to break down the pump itself, because it does make it past the filter into the motor sometimes. DH thinks I’m a weirdo because I’d rather do it myself than pay a professional to come do it, but I was raised poor, he wasn’t. Lmao

I’ve been meaning to clean all my filters after reading this thread, but I keep forgetting until I go to use it! Lol

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
But of course we are! :)
That's nice that he found the clog and repaired it inexpensively! I'm not sure how you would prevent it from happening again, except change the bag a lot?

(I have no vacuum tips...my husband (physicist) works with Vacuum Chambers in his lab. He pumps them down close to the Vacuum of space...So of course, the workings of a household vacuum are easy to him...he kept the last one running since 1994...)
We have a similar situation here. Broken things get fixed a lot, which is very nice unless you want to replace something, like an oven. Mine is so old and outdated, but darn it, it works well enough. So, what we think happened is that the vacuum is very good pulling dirt and dust from the carpet, but not so good with plant material. A year ago I got a twig s that my dogs dragged in from outside stuck in the hose, along with leaves and yard debris. That backed up in the hose, which we cleaned out. But by then some was diverted to the motor, where it stayed. Then when it backed up again, the little clog picked up a lot of hair and it got stuck. At least, that is our best guess. So, now I’m going to get up big hair balls and debris with the shop vac first, because that takes up anything, then use the upright.

Who knew a little blown coat could become so complicated?

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I take stuff apart I photograph each stage so I'm confident I can reverse the process.
oh, my god, where have you been earlier, this is just wow. I'm planning to buy a new affordable but powerful vacuum cleaner. Do you have any suggestions? I'd like to buy something reliable, but not so expensive that it will make me cry, lol. It's just a vacuum, don't require the durability, just power and low price. Share please if you have nice variants. One of my friends advised to check ReadyResearch, however I don't know if there are any trustworthy variants. Can you check this source and say if these vacuums are worth ordering? I usually rely on these articles as they provide just trustworthy info, but vacuum is not the product I can cope with on my own(

·
Registered
149 Posts
I hate cleaning. I usually run the broom around before I try to vacuum. I gave up on uprights, especially those that are supposed to be for pets. If they truly were the cups would be large enough. I also grab hair as I go up the stairs. I can hear when the canister vacuum bag is full, it sounds different. How about a dryer brush? They are long, flexible and meant to fit in the dryer vent. You can also drop the yardstick through the hose to see where the clog is. does your vacuum have a port you can put the hose in and blow the mess out? If it's not raining Duke goes outside for a furminator session. Better to have the hair balls in the back yard than inside the house. I admit the hair is hard to keep up with and does get ahead of me but that's part of having a dog. And there's always the leaf blower...

·
Registered
262 Posts
I didn't think you could even buy vacuums with bags any more.
One thing prospective GSD owners have no idea about is how much hair these guys drop daily and all year.
There's shedding season and really shedding season. Hair balls rolling around every corner daily.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
I didn't think you could even buy vacuums with bags any more.
One thing prospective GSD owners have no idea about is how much hair these guys drop daily and all year.
There's shedding season and really shedding season. Hair balls rolling around every corner daily.
Yep. Got dog hair everywhere. There are two corners in my house that apparently the wind currents are just right, or there are hair magnets, where there is always a collection of hair. I've joked a few times about starting a pillow making business.

·
Registered
114 Posts
In the last 25 years or so, we have had a Dirt Devil, two Panasonics and a Shark. We still have the second Panasonic and the Shark.

Also two Shop Vacs (one now deceased), but I rarely use those on dog hair unless it is in the basement or the cars.

Every single one would clog. GSD (or Newfoundland) fur was almost always the culprit.

For the shop vacs, I use a chimney sweeping rod, or maybe two screwed together if one would not reach. The shop vac is just a straight shot from the nozzle to the canister, so this should work. You should be able to get those rods at Lowes or Home Depot, or some such place. Thin, but they have enough strength to push through a lot of clogs, and more reach than a straightened out coat hanger.

You can also use that on other vacuums if they have a long hose.

For clogs that get into the interior suction hoses, I have done the following:
(1) Get a drill mounted drain unclogger, for about 29-39 bucks at Home Depot or Lowes.
(2) Attach to either a cordless or corded drill.
(3) Run it slowly into the area where the sweeper takes the dirt/dog hair/debris up toward the bag, canister or whatever.
(4) The flexible plumber snake should negotiate turns better than a coat hanger, and it should have a little hook type thing on the end that would eventually "grab" the clog.
When you feel some resistance, try reversing the drill and it usually will back it out.

If that won't work, you are probably looking at taking it apart or taking it to the shop.

Either way, if you have a chimney or wood burning stove, doesn't hurt to have a sweeper rod or two. And I've always found the drain cleaners to be useful in unclogging most minor drain clogs (and some not so minor, but that's another story).

I have not had a Miele, but maybe next time. . .

·
Registered
188 Posts
We bought a good one last year but it clogged repeatedly so we buy one cry once with a dyson and it works great so far. No clogs

21 - 40 of 44 Posts