German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three vacuums and a shop vac. Two uprights and one canister. I posted a while back how good they are with dog hair. That was true until all three clogged and won’t work. We took two apart and the third needs to go to the repair shop for an estimate but none work as well as they did before this last shedding season, which was very bad. A repair will probably end up costing more than a new one so I may not actually get it fixed. How do you keep yours from clogging? They all have bags and the bags never look full, but the vacuums start spitting out fur anyway from the base.

·
Super Moderator
6,364 Posts
I have a small Shark bagless.It's simple to completely pop apart and clean if needed.It never clogs.I suppose technically it could if it picked up wet fur?If debris gets inside a vacuum's motor it will wreak havoc.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From the base all the way up to the bag in two of them. The third one broke a long time ago after it clogged up, but it was easy to unclog. After that, it never worked right, though. We removed all the hair. I don’t understand why I’m not getting some kind of indication the bags are full. The broken one was a high end German vacuum that had an indicator but it stopped working.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a small Shark bagless.It's simple to completely pop apart and clean if needed.It never clogs.I suppose technically it could if it picked up wet fur?If debris gets inside a vacuum's motor it will wreak havoc.
I don’t know what would happen if I came home with a fifth vacuum (counting the shop vac), LOL. Maybe the bags are the problem. You can’t get the original bags anymore so they are all second party bags. The canister is a Kenmore and the compartment is so small the bag can’t expand. So the fur comes back up the tube.

·
Super Moderator
6,364 Posts
Say goodbye and shed a tear as you toss them in the dumpster.:)

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
From the base all the way up to the bag in two of them. The third one broke a long time ago after it clogged up, but it was easy to unclog. After that, it never worked right, though. We removed all the hair. I don’t understand why I’m not getting some kind of indication the bags are full. The broken one was a high end German vacuum that had an indicator but it stopped working.
My first thoughts are somehow hair is getting into the motor or the motor overheated. You could always check the bags after each use. We have a Dyson which is bagless. Works well, picked it up from home depot or lowes. Can't recall which one.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dogma, you make me laugh. We have to dispose of them at a waste center.

Are the Dyson and Shark called pet vacs? I wonder what makes the motor overheat? I don’t vacuum for more than a few minutes in each room.

I always bought bagged vacuums in case of allergies.

·
Super Moderator
6,364 Posts
My shark is just regular vacuum.It's great for removing dog hair.When I empty it in the kitchen trash can I place a damp paper towel or sheet of newspaper over it to trap the dust.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have a model number or a link? There are so many vacuums out there. I may have to suck it up and get a bagless. ( I couldn’t resist the bad joke)

·
Registered
15,941 Posts
Back when I had rugs.... and vacuumed .. the upright would get hair wound around the pulley causing the machine not to work. Basically needed to turn it over and cut out the hair from around the pulley. What it sounds like is that too much long or thick hair being sucked up at the same time = clog. Keep vacuming = more clog. So that's my guess.

It's either the texture of the hair itself or that you try to get too much in one go not giving the machine a chance to work.

Next vacuum will likely do the same thing.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I probably tried to get too much at once. There isn’t anything wrapped around it so it’s probably huge clumps. It’s ironic I thought a short haired dog would shed less because his coat is shorter. If anything, he sheds more.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
I take the hoses out and get a sturdy branch or rod and push the clog through, fixes the problem every time. If your hoses don’t detach, maybe try forcing it down closer to the rolling brushes and use a hook of some sort to pull it out? I’ve used those yellow drain pullers successfully on one that did not have detachable hoses.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Oreck with once / year factory maintenance. Miele on same program.

They’re not cheap, but neither is my time.

No clogs. Ever. Three GSD’s.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I bought a Dyson V11 Animal about 2 months ago. Phenomenal suction. The thing has cleaned dust and dirt probably from 30 years ago. It hasn't clogged once. I was wary of buying one because of the price. Couldn't decide between the Shark and the Dyson. Dyson had a better reputation. Shark was cheaper. My brother-in-law bought the V8 from Costco. He swore by it. We decided to get one too and went to the Dyson store. Went with the V11 instead. After the first week, the button broke and got stuck. Called Dyson service and they immediately authorized an exchange for a brand new one. They even let us keep a few of the attachments and the filter. So far, two months later, it still works fine.

Anyone considering purchasing one, don't get the "Total" one. Get the "Animal" version. Total one will scratch up your hardwood floors if it's used a lot. The two have different rollers. You can purchase the "Total" and then purchase the Animal roller but I think that's about an additional $100 or $150, something like that...not worth it.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I may not have cleaned the filter. I ended up using the shop vac then the vacuum which works the best. It’s definitely the bag which is not expanding so it gets hair in it, which just sits near the opening and plugs up. So, now I have to decide if I want to try different bags or if it needs a repair. It does not seem to be broken.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought a Dyson V11 Animal about 2 months ago. Phenomenal suction. The thing has cleaned dust and dirt probably from 30 years ago. It hasn't clogged once. I was wary of buying one because of the price. Couldn't decide between the Shark and the Dyson. Dyson had a better reputation. Shark was cheaper. My brother-in-law bought the V8 from Costco. He swore by it. We decided to get one too and went to the Dyson store. Went with the V11 instead. After the first week, the button broke and got stuck. Called Dyson service and they immediately authorized an exchange for a brand new one. They even let us keep a few of the attachments and the filter. So far, two months later, it still works fine.

Anyone considering purchasing one, don't get the "Total" one. Get the "Animal" version. Total one will scratch up your hardwood floors if it's used a lot. The two have different rollers. You can purchase the "Total" and then purchase the Animal roller but I think that's about an additional $100 or $150, something like that...not worth it.
I found it online. It is $500. I think for that price I would probably get a Miele, but with four vacuums, I’m not going spend that much on a fifth even if it’s very good. I’m going to see if they can fix my German Vacuum. As much as I complain about it, until the sensor stopped working, it got all the dog hair up from heavy shedders for ten years.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
My Dyson had great suction and bagless it got clogged all the time though. Especially when the kids used it and sucked up bunny hay. Is was always unclogging spent a lot of time unclogging it.The Miele I have had and has not clogged up once the bags are a pain to get but they are nice and thick.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts