German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to keep my dog's tail region clipped due to a medical condition. When looking at what clippers are available, the descriptions read:

Perfect for paws, ears and face

Does this mean the clippers also can handle butt fur? Can anyone recommend good quality cordless, quiet clippers that will do the job well, price up to around $100? Thanks :smile2:

·
Super Moderator
5,515 Posts
Usually the lightweight cordless clippers won’t power through a bunch of coat. Which clippers are they?

·
Super Moderator
5,515 Posts
As a long time groomer, I like Andis clippers. But they are about $160 and up, depending on the clipper. Comes with a #10 blade.

Andis UltraEdge

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I've never had a problem with my corded Oster. But from reviews I've read I'd agree with dogfaeries on the cordless ones. All of them say they loose power fairly quickly. They also tend to be more expensive than corded clippers. Bonus is that the cord on my clippers is about 10 feet long.

·
Super Moderator
5,515 Posts
I think the cord on my Andis is 14 feet. Plenty long. I understand the allure of cordless clippers. I have some for pads, poodle feet, etc, but they don’t have the power to do much else. The cordless ones that are powerful enough are more expensive than the corded.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Super Moderator
5,515 Posts
I have a version of that Wahl clipper, mine has an adjustable blade. Its the one I use for pads, poodle feet, etc. The one you linked has a 30 blade which is VERY short (think how short a show poodle’s face is shaved). It comes with snap on combs that will be worthless for a GSD coat. If you are only shaving under the tail, without getting into the coat, it might work.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have a version of that Wahl clipper, mine has an adjustable blade. Its the one I use for pads, poodle feet, etc. The one you linked has a 30 blade which is VERY short (think how short a show poodle’s face is shaved). It comes with snap on combs that will be worthless for a GSD coat. If you are only shaving under the tail, without getting into the coat, it might work.
I love my Andis UltraEdge but do agree they can get pricey. I think my five speed sits at over 200.00.

If you run a 4 comb in reverse up under the tail (personally don't like Wahl's 5, too choppy) do you think that would be a good alternative to a blade? A 10 blade would be my other rec. Short enough (unless they're looking for medical grade shave under there) but also safer than some others in the hands of a beginner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts