German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the vet. We started clipper on his first adequin shot. He has a lot of arthritis in both back legs, the right seems worse. They also gave him tramadol 50mg, 2 tabs twice aday. He had that lip pyoderma or infection they gave me another round of clindamycin 150mg one twice a day. Poor guy! I went ahead and gave him both meds when we got home. Hope that wasn't too much all at once with the shot too, they said ok to give all. Hoping this will give him relief . Any thoughts about all this? He also takes springtime fresh factors, joint health and omega 3 6 9, they did say probably just use joint health and the omega. Going Friday for next adequin shot.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
SOME dogs get a little diarrhea from Adequan (my dog didn't but he was not sensitive that way). The loading dose is 2x/week for 4 weeks and then you determine frequency from there (monthly, 3 weeks, whatever). I saw results aftr about 4 shots - his back end didn't sag and if I pressed on it, didn't go down. I thought the stuff was amazing.

I like the Fresh Factors - wonder why they said that. :) Good luck with the Adequan, let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think they said they both contain the chondroitin, they just said probably didn't need it. I too thought he perked up after using it. They said you don't want to run into getting toxic.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I took the bottles with me to show all he took as part of his check up. I think I might cut out one dose as I think it does perk him up. They didn't say not to give, just he probably didn't need it. I only give 3 each of the springtime products, even though that is low according to his weight. He weighs about 95 pounds. Couldn't get a good weight on him today, couldn't get on the scales well.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Second adequin shot

Clipper got his second adequin shot on Friday. I think I see some improvement. When I run my hands down his back and over his hips he doesn't sway down. He seems to get up a little easier. No diarrhea or stomach upset. They had given me tramadol for him also, but it makes him kind of loopy, shakes his head! He doesn't appear to be in pain so I haven't given him that except for when we came home from the first shot I gave as prescribed, then I gave him one dose after we got home from second. It's still hard getting him in and out of car, have to help get his front legs in then lift in his backend. Im hoping he will continue to get improvement! Will go for next shot on tues!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Third adequin shot

Another update, clipper had third shot tues. still rather weak on his right leg. When I run my hand over his back and hips still doesn't sway down, that's good! He did stand almost the entire time we were at vet office, even the vet commented on that. Wagging his tail a little more! He was pretty wore out by the time we got home, so his legs were weak and fell on his bottom when he went to poop. He has done that from time to time over the past 6 months, poor old guy, it like imbarrases him it seems like. Helped him up, gave him a dose of the tramadol, cleaned him off. He seems pretty perky today. Has a better time stepping up into kitchen from garage, it's just a small step up, but he doesn't lift that back foot up sometimes and will trip. Wants to run but can't. Next shot will be Friday.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We haven't had back X-rays done, they said he has the arthritis in both back legs pretty bad. I'd like to see if we can get him further along with the adequin and do some hip and back films, but have a feeling at his age it would still be comfort control that would be the main objective. Hoping it will make him more stable on his legs. Yes I'll look into the harness, thanks! I wish there was a ramp that fit up to a car better.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
4th adequine shot

Clipper got his 4th shot on Friday, we will go monday for #5. He seems more stable on his legs, even tried to hike his leg to pee! Still stable when I run my hands down his back and hips! Has a little easier time getting up, and stays standing longer! He has had no stomach issues. I still give him the fresh factors, joint health and omega 3 6 9. The tramadol I have been giving just at nite so he can get a good nite sleep. They said they do 6 shots then once a month. I think it is helping him, I understand it won't reverse everything but am glad it is giving him a higher comfort level, and stability.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
5th shot

Went for 5th adequin shot today. Had a little rougher day for clipper. It's a hurried time getting from work to home to vet before they close. He didn't really have enough time to pee and poop before having to load up to go to vet. He fell getting into car, then when we got to vet he was shaking but I sat in back seat with him and held and petted him and he calmed down. We went in, all was good, then a guy came out of exam room with his little pug off leash, which kept trying to sniff all over Clipper(leashed and laying down),Clipper growled, then barked at him, but I held his face and calmed him down. When we got home he immediately went out to poop! He wont pee or poop outside at the vets! I think between the falling, it's uncomfortable getting in and out of car and needing to poop the pug was too much! Like saying "beat it, leave me alone"! He was being good, doing all that moving around and "holding it" all that time too! But he did walk around better after we got home. I ask again about the 8 shots but they say they do 6, then 1 a month. I did read on the link about adequin it says up to 8, and not exceed that, so hope it will be good.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
I ask again about the 8 shots but they say they do 6, then 1 a month. I did read on the link about adequin it says up to 8, and not exceed that, so hope it will be good.
My experience was like Jean's: 4 weeks, 2 x per week to load. We then stepped it back t 1 X week for 2 weeks, then every other week. We are not dropping down to monthly, as my guy is doing great at every other week, and the vet has seen monthly not work as well in some dogs.

I plan to stick with it for as many years as I've got left with my 11 year old. It's made such a difference for him. I think it's a miracle drug.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yes I asked them again today about 6 instead of 8. They were kind of firm in saying that's what they do. I will ask again Friday when we go for 6 th. I wouldn't really want to put him thru another loading dose if it wasn't enough the first time. That is something I was going to ask also, if he'd have to basically start all over. He has improved and am pleased with how its helping him. I plan to keep him on it too!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
6th shot

Clipper had his 6th shot on Friday. He has shown quite a bit of improvement, can get up easier than he did, doesn't seem to "cross " his legs as much. Still stands firm when I run my hands down his back and hips,wags his tail more! Seems pretty perky, carries his toys around and wants me to toss them for him! Still will try and hike his leg to pee, he hadn't done that for a while! He is not trying to jump up in car, or anything like that, I know it will not reverse all that, but it does seem to have given him more comfort. I wish I had read about it sooner, but am pleased with how it's going. I give him one tramadol at night and the last couple days one in the morning, that helps too. They prescribed 2 twice a day but that was too much I think, he was loopy,shook his head! As for 6 loading shots, I asked if he started going downhill what they recommend, he said give him a call. I guess they'd give him a shot sooner than a month out. Hoping for the best!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Congrats! What are you paying per shot? A new generic form of Adequan became available at our clinic a few months ago, if you're paying in the neighborhood of $20+ per shot see if they can order generic to save some money.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
$40.75 per shot. Clipper weighs 93 pounds, requires larger dose, I didn't ask how many ml. I will ask if they could see about the generic, thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts