German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past couple of days whenever Bear gets up from a down position I hear this clicking sound that sounds like it's coming from his elbows?
I only hear it when he gets up, it's kind of like the noise my knees will make sometimes.

I have palpitated his elbow area and it doesn't creak when I do that. He is not in any pain or limps at all. He is pretty much acting like himself other than being a little creaky. I haven't had his hips or elbows xrayed yet, I was waiting for him to turn 18 months before I decided I would have them checked.

I've looked and can't seem to find any information on this? Should I be worried? Does anyone have a creaky dog? I have started him on Cosaquin just to see if it was maybe tight joints, I know I need to take him in to see the vet on it, but just thought I'd ask here first.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Apache creeks very loudly from arthritis, hind quarters, he's 10 I don't remember how old he was when I first noticed it but it was a long time ago.

·
Registered
652 Posts
clicking/popping sound at particular movement?
yes,Odi had it.

clicking came from her right hip joint when she
did sidesteps during tug-of-war game.

it started at approx 10-11 months of age and lasted for two or so months.
now there's no clicking at all.
she has never shown any signs of pain or discomfort.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I'm trying not to worry because I know he's not in any pain and is doing his normal activities and doesn't restrict himself in any way. The clicking sounds are just freaking me out. I really hope it goes away like Odi's.

Hattifattener, did you ask your vet about it when Odi was making these noises?

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
My one dog gets this, and she has really bad joints. I am not saying that your dog has bad joints, just sharing my experience. You plan on doing x rays and that's good. I think adding the joint supplement is also smart. It can't hurt, I have my other dog on a joint supplement even though his joints have been xrayed and they are fine.

I will add that since I added a second joint supplement ( currently my HD dog is on Glycoflex 3 and Jointagen), the clicking sounds happen only rarely. I don't know definitively of course if there is a direct relationship between the two events, but that was my observation.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sometimes I can hear clicking from one of Shiloh's front paws when she's walking around the apartment. I don't think it happens all the time, and it doesn't seem to bother her, so I'm not worried about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts