German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading these forums since before I got my GSD and have found it so helpful. Now I'm posting for the first time hoping for some more advice.

I recently noticed that I could sometimes hear a clicking sound when my 2.5 year old female is walking. I took her to the vet and had xrays done, and a radiologist determined she has no signs of hip dysplasia and they couldn't find an obvious reason for the clicking. I only ever hear it inside when she is walking on the carpet, and she doesn't seem to be in any pain. Is this possibly indicative of a problem, or is it just a harmless (though cringeworthy) sound?

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Not a toenail, right? Definitely coming from inside?

Front? Rear? Shoulders? Hips?

Meanwhile, make sure to keep her lean (most of our dogs are fat :( ) and well exercised so she can be in the best shape to deal with an issue.

Have you asked your trainer or class members to listen? People that are around dogs all the time may have hints/tips/ideas that you may not have thought of. I go to my dog 'people' all the time with questions. So many good reasons to keep up those dog classes!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've only had a one "clicking" dogs ... she had severe HD. Besides the hips, have you had the other joints x-rayed to see if it could be joint related? GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for the replies. She is lean and strong and I can't imagine it would be a toenail on the carpet. We've been living in this house for 3 months and it only just started in the past few weeks.

My husband is in the military and we move quite often so it is hard to find dog people whose opinion I trust, and I've never heard it outside our carpeted house, which I find so strange. I have been paying attention when we walk outdoors and I haven't heard it, and I never hear it even indoors when she is trotting (just at a walk).

The vet manipulated her back legs and could not produce the sound. It's so hard to tell where specifically it might be coming from.

I suppose the next step is to go back to the vet but as she has no other symptoms and we already did xrays I am tempted to ignore it - except it sounds so horrible that I can't help but worry!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Thanks so much for the replies. She is lean and strong and I can't imagine it would be a toenail on the carpet. We've been living in this house for 3 months and it only just started in the past few weeks.

My husband is in the military and we move quite often so it is hard to find dog people whose opinion I trust, and I've never heard it outside our carpeted house, which I find so strange. I have been paying attention when we walk outdoors and I haven't heard it, and I never hear it even indoors when she is trotting (just at a walk).

The vet manipulated her back legs and could not produce the sound. It's so hard to tell where specifically it might be coming from.

I suppose the next step is to go back to the vet but as she has no other symptoms and we already did xrays I am tempted to ignore it - except it sounds so horrible that I can't help but worry!
did the vet xray the elbows. My dog has some clicking noises when he moves sometimes. Not whille walking though. I know he has bilateral elbow dysplasia. He shpwed up in preliminary xrays.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not a toenail, right? Definitely coming from inside?

Front? Rear? Shoulders? Hips?

Meanwhile, make sure to keep her lean (most of our dogs are fat :( ) and well exercised so she can be in the best shape to deal with an issue.

Have you asked your trainer or class members to listen? People that are around dogs all the time may have hints/tips/ideas that you may not have thought of. I go to my dog 'people' all the time with questions. So many good reasons to keep up those dog classes!
I've been reading these forums since before I got my GSD and have found it so helpful. Now I'm posting for the first time hoping for some more advice.

I recently noticed that I could sometimes hear a clicking sound when my 2.5 year old female is walking. I took her to the vet and had xrays done, and a radiologist determined she has no signs of hip dysplasia and they couldn't find an obvious reason for the clicking. I only ever hear it inside when she is walking on the carpet, and she doesn't seem to be in any pain. Is this possibly indicative of a problem, or is it just a harmless (though cringeworthy) sound?
Did you ever find out what this was. My shepherd is a male same age and we have hearing same noise. He doesn’t seem to be in any pain or it bother him. It’s just a clicking noise when he walks.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The OP hasn't been here since 2015, so your not likely to get their answer.

I would suggest that you mention this to your vet or an orthopedic vet.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts