German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Lately I have noticed that my gsd's joints pop/click when he gets up sometimes. He does not appear to be in pain and it sounds like what happens when I sometimes get up and pop my knee or flex my ankle. He runs around like a maniac and seems fine overall. Should I be concerned? Is this a puppy thing because his joints are looser? He is on joint supplements. Thanks!

Laura

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Annabelle has done this since she was a puppy. Her joints pop when she gets up just about everytime.

I asked the vet and he said just to put her on joint supplements and didn't seem to concerned.

She was diagnosed with Hip Dysplasia a few months ago (3 years after I noticed the sound). If that had anything to do with the pops I really don't know as they always sounded like they came from the front and not the back.

It has never affected her either.

My other GSD whom I've never had hips x-rayed will also make this sound, but it's not near as often as Annabelle. Only on occasion do I hear it from her.

In short, I know what sound your talking about but no idea what causes it!

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Just checking 'cause this did happen to a member here - could it be tags on the collar you're hearing?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
My pup's rear legs were clicking when she was approx 3 months old. Then it went away.

The clicks came back again just over a month ago, but would only do so when she got up from a resting position. A couple of weeks later, the clicking stopped.

From the sites I have read, and what my vet told me, it is quite normal. And it seems to be no definite indication of HD.

My pup has been on joint supplements since she was 3 months old, and she just turned 6 months on Saturday. I am planning on having her hip prelims done soon.

But yeah, don't worry about it, especially since your pup is in no obvious discomfort.

I can understand your concern though, been there and all!

[edit: BarbE, I remember that thread! LOL ... You are too funny, but better to play it safe and make sure it's not the tags jangling.]

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Gracie clicked terribly (without her collar on LOL) so I added cosequin ds, ester-c and fish oil. I hear NOTHING now, okay, maybe one click a month. It may also be that your pup just has a lot of laxity and will tighten up as he gets older.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Re: clicking noise when getting up in 11 month old

I have a clicker here who has hip dysplasia. He showed no signs of discomfort either but it was obvious to me having lived with a dog with HD before. I saw symptoms there. I have him on Springtime Inc.'s Longevity and have had him on joint support since I adopted him in early January. Now all of the symptoms I saw before have gone away but the clicking is still there.

It's definitely worth getting it check out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts