German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will any type of clicker work? I saw some at petco and petsmart that were cheap. I don't know if its any good though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yep any clicker will work! Although the really cheap ones may break after a lot of use. I personally like the clickers that have a wrist strap so I don't have to worry about losing track of it or dropping it. But that's just me ;)

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I also like the iClick - or really any of the "button" clickers. They're great because you can still click them if you don't have a good hold of them - or even with your foot if you need both hands free for an exercise.

I didn't buy it with the strap attached. I just went to Walmart and got one of the cheapo wrist loops there. (They sell them where they make keys, with the key accessories.) A good wrist strap is really helpful, though, and definitely something I'd get along with the clicker.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I just click with my mouth, one less thing I need to have in my hand when training.

·
Registered
156 Posts
i can't stand those things, and I have seen so many people start out with those things and stop using them after a few months. Some people on here have great success with them, I personally use e collar/ prong collar but mostly e now as we don't even need a leash with our 9 month old already. I like to know i have something besides a clicker to control my dog if she so happens to get a crazy idea.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
i can't stand those things, and I have seen so many people start out with those things and stop using them after a few months. Some people on here have great success with them, I personally use e collar/ prong collar but mostly e now as we don't even need a leash with our 9 month old already. I like to know i have something besides a clicker to control my dog if she so happens to get a crazy idea.
They're not really used to control crazy dogs so much as they are to train and reinforce behaviors. The dogs I've trained (more than 5 or 6) have learned SO MUCH FASTER with clicker training than they ever did with prong/choke collar or any other aversion-based technique.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Any clicker will work, but if you have a noise-sensitive dog be careful as some of the cheap clickers can be REALLY loud.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts