German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
DO click exactly when they're doing the action you want, not before or after.

DON'T click and withhold treats. Every click = treat.

DO practise your timing when your dog can't hear the clicker in another room or outside. Nothing worse than bad timing.

DO keep the clicker as hidden as possible, whether it be behind your back or palmed away, so that your dog does not become dependent on it.

Have fun! I love clicker training!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Decide in advance what you will click and treat for, then reinforce only that during the individual training session. For instance, if you are teaching your dog to 1) sit at your left side, 2) body parallel to you, 3) with his front leg even with your left leg, and 4) looking up at you, that's four different parts of the finished behavior called (in Schutzhund), "fuss."

When first teaching this, click only for sitting at your left side until he gets it right 80% of the time. Then, raise the criteria to sitting at your left side, PLUS sitting parallel to you (butt not sticking out or too far in). Then raise it to not sitting too far in front or in back, in addition to steps 1 and 2. If, within one set of repetitions, you click for #1, then #3, then #4, then #2, the dog won't know which behavior to change.

Also, reinforce for "good enough," and you'll get "good enough." Reinforce for perfection and you'll get perfection.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
In the beginning, the moment he turns his head towards you. Later on you can start playing around with when to click.

But also keep in the mind when training recall, start with very short distance (3-4 feet) and work up from there.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Be fast, generous, and frequent with your clicks and your treats.
Should be clicking/treating like a machine gun when you start. So be on the ground and make your criteria easy easy easy. If you want a 'rollover' don't hold back the click until the entire behavoir is completed.

Instead you can click when they lean down, then sit, the sit again, then down, then sit again, then down on a hip, then a sit, then a down, then down on a hip then flat on side then a sit, then then then then then.

Watch that first video I put with the woman, you can't hear the clicks but watch how many times that pup gets treated!

·
Super Moderator
32,801 Posts
In the beginning, the moment he turns his head towards you. Later on you can start playing around with when to click.

But also keep in the mind when training recall, start with very short distance (3-4 feet) and work up from there.
That's what I do too, I want to see a whiplash turn of the head back towards me, so I mark that first, and then the body follows. The dog has to come all the way to me to get the reward but I don't wait to mark that. Eventually I will hold out for that, and also for an automatic sit in front, but I work up to it by marking and rewarding the incremental behaviors leading up to the final picture that I want. This is often referred to as "shaping".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.