German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks

I saw a previous thread from over 10 years ago so I thought it would be helpful to discuss again.
Do you use clicker, marker words or both? Why? Any videos you would recommend? I have the Michael Ellis one and have found it helpful. When did you wean your dog off the clicker? Ive never done clickr before and wonder if its cumbersome to remember to have the clicker with you at all times. Sleepless puppy days and Im thankful I remember to put my pants on when I leave the house with my pup..(lol)

·
Super Moderator
9,100 Posts
i prefer the clicker - the sound is novel, consistent, has the ability to offer more precision and in my experience, the rate at which a dog learns is remarkably faster.

i do however use both at times. once a dog clicker savvy, it’s not that difficult to replace it with a marker word in the event that you don’t have a clicker handy. that said... clickers come in many styles now - button style, box style, wrist band, finger loop, ring style, attachable. and they’re cheap - i have one in my bait bag, kitchen drawer, car glove box, random pockets, etc.

there’s no shortage of excuses as to why many folks don’t like clickers, sometimes they just simply suck at it and don’t want to admit that - but if you learn proper technique... i can’t think of a reason you could convince me to ditch mine.

·
Registered
10,539 Posts
I have a clicker and have never used it. To use it would mean I would have to have it in my hand at all times, and for me it’s just easier to use words.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I use both. The clicker I use initially when training things. I also use it when I'm trying to mark very precise behaviors. I use verbal markers once the basics of what I'm doing are down. You aren't exclusively tied to one tool ever. Just because you use one doesn't mean you can't use the other. When I randomly decide I want to train something I use what I have. Sometimes that's literally just praise. When I have amore planned training session I will bring the tools I want. You can train behaviors more precisely with the clicker IMO. You don't need it though. You don't have to have a clicker with you all the time. Clickers and marker training in general have proven to be amazing at teaching animals of all kinds to do things. You can clicker train reptiles to put it in perspective.

·
Super Moderator
9,100 Posts
I use both. The clicker I use initially when training things. I also use it when I'm trying to mark very precise behaviors. I use verbal markers once the basics of what I'm doing are down. You aren't exclusively tied to one tool ever. Just because you use one doesn't mean you can't use the other. When I randomly decide I want to train something I use what I have. Sometimes that's literally just praise. When I have amore planned training session I will bring the tools I want. You can train behaviors more precisely with the clicker IMO. You don't need it though. You don't have to have a clicker with you all the time. Clickers and marker training in general have proven to be amazing at teaching animals of all kinds to do things. You can clicker train reptiles to put it in perspective.
every
single
thing
he
said...

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Marker word - a clicker ties up a hand that can be used for other things, like holding the leash or getting a treat ready to deliver; and you can drop it or lose it. And I find it harder to time my response with a clicker than I do a vocal response.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I like words. I see why the click works, Remi goes nuts every time he hears the click. He knows he is getting a reward. It has been at least 6.5 years since we did clicker training as a puppy. He has very high food drive and I tested him last week on the clicker...he remembered it and was pretty nutty as soon as I clicked.

·
Super Moderator
9,100 Posts
Marker word - a clicker ties up a hand that can be used for other things, like holding the leash or getting a treat ready to deliver; and you can drop it or lose it. And I find it harder to time my response with a clicker than I do a vocal response.
i’ll just throw out there that i operate a leash, harness handle and clicker all in my left hand, with no problem... and feed with my right.
although it remains optional to them, i also teach this method to my clients.
if the motivation is there, it can be done.

·
Super Moderator
32,693 Posts
My clickers are on wrist straps, like this:

I leave one attached to my treat bag. I take it off and put the strap around my wrist when I want to use it. Easy peasy.

·
Super Moderator
6,222 Posts
My clickers are on wrist straps, like this:

View attachment 574004

I leave one attached to my treat bag. I take it off and put the strap around my wrist when I want to use it. Easy peasy.
I like the wrist straps too.

And as far as trying to juggle clicker, treats and leash? There are a lot of times I’ve fastened the leash around my waist. Keeps me from nagging my dog with it.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
My clickers also has a wrist strap. I haven’t seen a situation where I would need the leash, treats in my hand, and a clicker. You can lure with the same hand the clicker is in, then grab whatever reward your using.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I have a clicker and have never used it. To use it would mean I would have to have it in my hand at all times, and for me it’s just easier to use words.
Same here. I find that verbal markers are the most convenient. Take them with you everywhere; you never have to worry about forgetting them! I use a normal "Yes" marker and reward immediately. The "yes" marker is a reward but not a release. I use "okay" as a reward and a release. (I mean "you're free to go" by release.)

Reactions: giebel

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
I have a dog now that I tried a clicker with. She hates the click. Used to attack my hand. Also tried a Snapple lid and a click pen to see if it was specific. She is not a fan of clicks.
I use a marker word, Yess! I did long before clickers were a thing. It works for me. I see no reason you could not do both, with a normal dog.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
I mainly use the clicker only for 100% for the young pups and once they know my ways, use it intermittingly with "Good!"

1 - 20 of 25 Posts