German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried using a clicker for the first time on the weekend. Our task from obiedience school was to teach the dog to sit (without using words) when we touch the door handle.

Worked on getting her used to the clicker but just treating her every time she turned her head (recommended in a handout). She got the idea very qucikly that a click meant a treat. Went to the front door, touched than handle and had to use a hand signal for sit. Click/treat. Took a few tries and I think she has it.! I can click a lot faster than I can say "yes". Need to proof this behaviour every day as the "test" on Thrusday night will be that one of the instructors will take the dog and expect them to sit when they touch the door handle.

Also taught her to give "high five".

So now I'm looking on line for clicker training videos and wondering why I didn't try this sooner.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally Posted By: BlackPuppyI just learned clicker training last year. Love it! I used to think, who needs it. Now I advocate it.
I was the same way. Didn't want to depend on a training tool instead of taking advantage of what was available and getting positive feedback.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I love seeing posts like this!

There are so many misconceptions about clicker training - like the clicker is some kind of doggy remote, or you'll always need it, or whatever, but when you get a chance to take a good clicker class and really use one - man - they're awesome! I have been training dogs for 20 years (yeesh) and IMO nothing beats a clicker in terms of ease of training, solid learning, and fun for me and the dog. Using one challenges me as a trainer because I have to break behaviors apart and stay one step ahead of the dog, and I do think when you first start using one it requires a mental frame shift in terms of how you train (training silently, getting the behavior before you add the command etc) but I wouldn't have it any other way. The look on the dog's face when they get the "game" and can't wait to learn the newest thing is absolutely priceless. Love it!

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Quote: I can click a lot faster than I can say "yes". Need to proof this behaviour every day as the "test" on Thrusday night will be that one of the instructors will take the dog and expect them to sit when they touch the door handle.

Also taught her to give "high five".

So now I'm looking on line for clicker training videos and wondering why I didn't try this sooner
Look how smart and owner/trainer you are!
And your dog will only benefit from all this learning you are willing to do, and then be able to use with your dog!

There's TONS of stuff on youtube just put in ' dog clicker training ' and prepare to be overwhelmed!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts