German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cash and I are taking a pre-agility clicker training class and we're supposed to be teaching "heel" with the clicker. He's learning very well but when I go to give him the reward he bites half my hand with it!! He's really excited and motivated to learn; how do I get him to stop eating my hand without dampening his motivation?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Get one of those pseudo-mail kitchen gloves

Go back a step & start by teaching him to take his treats with a gentle mouth tho this will likely still fail abit when he gets excited.
Definitely bring this up with your instructor at next class (go a few minutes early) or even call/email her.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Bianca has that problem too. I've had a few suggestions including feed her off a spoon and spitting treats instead of using my hands. I've been told that spitting treats also helps to reinforce eye contact.
Another suggestion I had was teaching them gentle by holding the treat in a closed hand and not offering it until they stop biting/licking the hand. However I've found that this doesn't work that well because when she does stop licking/chewing my hand and I sat "Yes!" and open my hand for her to get the treat, she just chomps at my hand then anyway. :p

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
I will second both of Chicagocanine's suggestions. I have used (and watched my trainer use) the closed hand method. I know she used it with two young GSD pups in our classes for sure! Though I would suggest instead of using a marker or other release cue to allow your dog to take the treat, you just open your hand up so they can take the treat.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Another suggestion would be to try to give treats like you do for horses. Flat hand facing their mouth with your thumb only holding the treat. Another way is to not give them access to too much of the treat so they have to gently use their front teeth to grab the treat. It works for my pup but he is only 10 weeks. Good luck!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I hold the treat in my hand with just a very little bit of the treat exposed. He can't snap at it and he has to reach with his front teeth to try and get it. I tell him "easy" and when he can finally grip it, I allow him to have it. They catch on very easy that they will not longer be able to snatch the goodie.

·
Registered
35 Posts
where are you taking classes? we have a male in pre agility who just passed the first level

hes going to dallas dog sports

bout the hand biting i would do the closed hand method too. seem sto work most of the time

·
Registered
663 Posts
It really does work if you just hold the treat so that they cant get it unless then grab with the front of their teeth, I tell them easy, easy. They catch on fast. They dont get the treat until they take it 'easy'.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Dont give him the treat before his sitting nice and calm..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts