German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nala gets completely thrown off guard when I start a training session and she hears the first click. After the first click and treat, she just sits by me and stares at me. Forever. I was teaching her "drop it" and after the first click, she wouldn't even pick up the toy. She just sat. And stared. What should I do?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I think Nala has got the wrong idea that the click means don't pick anything up. I don't use clicker training, but it could be your timing -until the clicker experts reply, you may want to review the threads on clicker training.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have some of the same issues with Attila, who is 11 weeks, with clicker training. I think it has to do with him concentrating more on the treats then the training. Sometimes, he will do a down before I even tell him to as soon as he sees the treat bag and clicker. What I have found helpful is to mix things up so he can't anticipate what I am going to ask for. I even throw his ball and have him bring it back. We will do a few commands with the clicker and treats. Then throw the ball again. I am still learning clicker training so I am no expert. Good luck with the training. I wish you and Nala well.

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
When "loading the clicker" (associating the clicker with a treat) was your puppy always sitting? If so, she has learned that sitting gives her the click.
You don't want to start clicker training if you are not sure on how to use it. You cannot expect your puppy to understand if you don't. Read this book first: "Don't Shoot the Dog" from Karen Pryor

1 - 5 of 5 Posts