German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Charlie (DOB 11/24/20)
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Charlie's training has been going quite well, he's started to focus more, his reactivity is getting lots better, he doesn't bark or lunge anymore, just starts pulling a little and usually stops and sits to look at me after I correct him and block him from whatever he's got his sights on.

That being said, we're hoping to start training in and doing rally in the future, and I know his focus and his command speed needs cleaned up. He's finally grasping the heel although its slightly sloppy, and we're working on ACTUALLY staying when I put him in a down or in a sit. The only other problem I have is he doesn't like to work without some sort of reward, he works best for a ball, and second best to treats, but usually if he knows I dont have anything, his commands are sloppy and lazy, which I know is my fault, I didnt realize the fact id have to wean him off them or anything of the sort.

So mostly asking for advice to overall clean up his training/especially his heel, and to get him to be motivated and quick without a reward in hand.

·
Super Moderator
8,852 Posts
Rally is fun!There are some YouTube videos of matches and some how to videos also. You can make your own signs or print them out, then make some practice courses.Taking a class is a good idea to get Charlie used to working with you surrounded by strangers and their dogs in an unfamiliar place.
If you can be really enthusiastic I'll bet he'll work for you for a minute,then stop,release him,and play for two or three minutes. Then back to work for a minute, rinse repeat. Work and play become the same.Eventually the work period becomes a little longer, then longer. The play breaks and enthusiasm are the reward.
It was a blast teaching Samson to weave around Gatorade bottles:)We'd practice a tight heel by placing the bottles a little closer than was comfortable, do two run throughs, then I would release him and kick the bottles all over the yard for him to chase and crunch up. An entire rally course only takes about five minutes to complete, so it's not difficult for a dog.It's all on the human to interpret the signs and give the instructions.

Reactions: peachygeorgia

·
Registered
Charlie (DOB 11/24/20)
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rally is fun!There are some YouTube videos of matches and some how to videos also. You can make your own signs or print them out, then make some practice courses.Taking a class is a good idea to get Charlie used to working with you surrounded by strangers and their dogs in an unfamiliar place.
It looks fun! Thats a great idea, ill have to make some practice courses soon, give me something to do with all this free time!

As for the class im definitely going to try, I have to get Charlie some sort of registration first, probably going with AKC partner, before I can I think, and see where my nearest club or anything like that is. Sadly I think its a couple hours away, so I'll have to plan in advance, but im determined to get Charlie into something where I can watch and learn and be amongst other doggie people, its how I learn best lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts