German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that it has warmed up past freezing the last few days I can get out and get some poop up. But how?

Mandalay thinks it is fun to cover her wintery poop with snow, so I can't always find it. Now that I can see some of it that I've missed when I was out cleaning up chunks of frozen poop (and in the spring when the rest appears when the snow finally goes away) how do I get it up easily? Or at least with the least mess. Doesn't anyone make a product that we can sprinkle on the ground to dissolve the poop? THAT would be a great idea.

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
Originally Posted By: MandalayNow that it has warmed up past freezing the last few days I can get out and get some poop up. But how?

Mandalay thinks it is fun to cover her wintery poop with snow, so I can't always find it. Now that I can see some of it that I've missed when I was out cleaning up chunks of frozen poop (and in the spring when the rest appears when the snow finally goes away) how do I get it up easily? Or at least with the least mess. Doesn't anyone make a product that we can sprinkle on the ground to dissolve the poop? THAT would be a great idea.
Raw feeding <snicker> Poop becomes fully biodegradable.

In all seriousness I use a poop scoop like this (only larger but hey I have 7 dogs). I personally do not like the rake one but the shovel style works well with the Paq.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I have a shovel I use, but as soon as a poo is laid I am right there picking it up, so I don't ever have any unpleasant surprises when the snow melts...but this isn't because I want to pick it up right away, I have to do this or a certain little girl will go around and pick it up herself by ways they lead to devouring it...ew!

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a shovel pooper scooper, but I wonder if the rake one would go through the snow better without picking up so much snow.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Originally Posted By: MandalayI have a shovel pooper scooper, but I wonder if the rake one would go through the snow better without picking up so much snow.
The manure fork does go through the snow and allows you to shake a bunch of it out - depending of course on how wet the snow is. In the warmer months, it also goes through the grass - kind of under the poop - you lift and the poop comes up intact and the grass just slips through the tines.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
I was just wondering earlier -what's the most effective way of getting it out of partially melted snow. Eh, get second trash bag or a bigger bucket. Whatever, supposed to rain 2" tomorrow, the bits I missed will wash away.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Originally Posted By: MandalayNow that it has warmed up past freezing the last few days I can get out and get some poop up. But how?
Thanks for the reminder. After 3 weeks of below freezing temps it was 50 and sunny here today, so I went on a "poop hunt" before the freezing rain comes tomorrow! It was so nice out I got a touch of "Spring Fever"!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Originally Posted By: Jax08Freezing rain?? 10pm sunday into Monday morning!! You can still do it tomorrow! LOL
I'm down in York County ~ we are getting it from 1am Sunday through 10 am Sunday then changing over to all rain! And then everything will be MUD!!!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i thought the solution was obvious
(btw, call me easy but i thought that movie was hilarious)

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
frozen poop waay better than hot poop crawling with maggots.I can be kinda lazy about pickup but always do it twice a week.Darn one dog really can do some doodoo that weighs a lot(I feed high end kibble)

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
I use the same pooper scooper that Amaraq uses, the one with the spade. But breaking poop from the frozen tundra does a number on it, so for the frozen tundra I use my own huge edger. And I can dig down with it into the poop holes ( holes the 102 degree poop made in the snow when formed) to get the semi-solid poop out. It is a delicate business, and sometimes, just rocking it from the top causes the whole object to come and and into the waiting shovel. The rest of the time, the larger edger must break away snow around the poop and take it too.

I have become a poo expert in the past couple of years. But I too go out twice a day and look for turds. Often a ripple in the snow or a slight discoloration gives it away. And yes, what my eyes and pooper scooper does not find, my shoe always does.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts