German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleaning up the stool samples in the yard & looking for any ideas to store/contain somehow in garage until trash day. Housing development has regulations for any outside storage. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I use Biodegradable Flushable Doggy Bags. Pick up the poop, then flush it down the toilet. The bags dissolve in water. Don't put more than one 'dump' in a bag or they are too bulky to flush quickly. I get mine off eBay.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I have a friend who has a specific trash can that he uses for his dog waste. He lines the can with a garbage bag and uses shavings (for horse stalls) that he purchases at the feed store. I'd suppose the amount of shavings used would depend on the amount of waste you are holding.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Don't laugh. We use a diaper genie. I pick up the poo and bag it, and it goes into the diaper genie so it's already double bagged, and then right before trash day it goes into the bin that the city empties.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I also have a can just for poop. We are suppose to be getting a good amount of snow so I went out today to pick it up. I haven't picked up poop pretty much all winter. I had 2 jewel bags with 7 dogs---I love feeding the dogs a raw diet--almost all the poop crumbles away:)

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
The dog food I buy comes in great bags with a zip lock type closer. The initial product (dog crap) gets put in plastic grocery bags (they fit the kid's sand box bucket I bought a couple of years ago perfectly) When those bags hold "enough", they get tied off & placed in the dog food bag that no longer contains dog food. The top gets zipped unti time for the next deposit. As plastic is pourse (how do you spell that?), the large bag does smell a bit when it is opened but only then.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't laugh. We use a diaper genie. I pick up the poo and bag it, and it goes into the diaper genie so it's already double bagged, and then right before trash day it goes into the bin that the city empties.
Funny because I was thinking the same thing. I have our diaper genie in the closet and was thinking about using it but thought it might be costly to use year round, but it did a nice job with containing the smell of baby diapers.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The dog food I buy comes in great bags with a zip lock type closer. The initial product (dog crap) gets put in plastic grocery bags (they fit the kid's sand box bucket I bought a couple of years ago perfectly) When those bags hold "enough", they get tied off & placed in the dog food bag that no longer contains dog food. The top gets zipped unti time for the next deposit. As plastic is pourse (how do you spell that?), the large bag does smell a bit when it is opened but only then.
Didn't think of using the zip lock dog bags I just threw out a couple bags before I started this thread. Will try it out.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use Biodegradable Flushable Doggy Bags. Pick up the poop, then flush it down the toilet. The bags dissolve in water. Don't put more than one 'dump' in a bag or they are too bulky to flush quickly. I get mine off eBay.
Never heard of them till now but will definitely check them out. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
We have a galvanized bucket with a lid, which we line with a small trash bag. I pooperscoop, then put the feces in the 4 gallon bucket. I would have preferred a 2 gallon, but couldn't find one. It is very low to the ground, and tucks away beneath one of our bushes by the terrace.The bag goes out with the trash weekly. The only time it smells is when you lift the lid to put more stool in.

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
We have a galvanized bucket with a lid, which we line with a small trash bag. I pooperscoop, then put the feces in the 4 gallon bucket. I would have preferred a 2 gallon, but couldn't find one. It is very low to the ground, and tucks away beneath one of our bushes by the terrace.The bag goes out with the trash weekly. The only time it smells is when you lift the lid to put more stool in.
I do the same thing, though I've traded my galvanized bucket in for one of those orange 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot. Sometimes I'll add a little bit of shavings in with the poop.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Funny because I was thinking the same thing. I have our diaper genie in the closet and was thinking about using it but thought it might be costly to use year round, but it did a nice job with containing the smell of baby diapers.
We order cheaper bag rolls from Amazon. It works fine and it isn't terribly expensive.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Walmart sells small, galvanized garbage cans with lids, very thick and sturdy. I put garbage bags in them and keep one in the back and one in the front. On garbage day, I tie it shut and put another garbage bag around the mouth of the can and flip it over and remove the can and then tie that bag so I can double bag it before I put it out.

I have five dogs and NO dog smell or flies in the summer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a metal trash can with a lid. I keep it attached to the fence in the back yard with a bungie cord. Line it with a heavy duty trash bag and double bag the night before trash day when I take it to the curb with the other trash.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I use the diaper pail (thanks to the tip I got on this forum), it even has a baking soda filter at the top. I found the one we have, which twists the diaper bag shut as the lid closed, not good in the freezing weather cuz the twisting bag gets snarled by frozen poops.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts