German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dresden is 7 months old, and I have noticed that his ears need cleaning...had GSDs my whole life and never really had to deal with this...so do i just used a damp cotton ball? washcloth? gauze?? will water do the trick??

·
Registered
524 Posts
I would check with a vet first and make sure that he doesn't have something in his ear...when I first got Loki, his ear looked dirty but smelled BAD
Turned out he had a foxtail and a really bad infection.

For general cleaning, I use the cleaning wipes that you get at the petstore. If their ears start to get 'smelly', I've heard people swear by Zymox, but have not had to try it.

I know that when you use the cleaning wipes, you should only do the outer part of the ear canal...on mine, it is close to the first knuckle bend on my index finger (the one closest to the nail).

Good Luck

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I think anything you mentioned would probably work, although I can't imagine gauze would hold much moisture so maybe a cotton ball or washcloth would work better? I also have specific ear wipes, although I haven't actually used them yet since Jerzey's ears really aren't dirty.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Hydrogen peroxide on a big cotton ball. don't use the same one on the other ear just incase it is an infection. An infection usually smells like the bottom of a beercan in july.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts