German Shepherds Forum banner

Do you think CKC (Continental Kennel Club) is a good dog registry?

• Yes

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • No

Votes: 71 91.0%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
30,845 Posts
RE: Conditional Registration

What about dogs which are not purebred?
Conditional registration is only for dogs that appear to be purebred and had full AKC registration prior to the DNA exclusions being found. If the dogs in question do not appear to be purebred, an impure breeding complaint can be made to the Impure Breeding Committee, which will open an inquiry and take appropriate action.

·
Registered
30,845 Posts
Actually, I was responding to your post.

My post? All I can say to that is perhaps you need to chill a bit. I have a pound puppy with a PAL number who is spayed. I don't need to lie, cheat or rob a bank.

I was just asking for verification of what dOg said as there is nothing regarding the ACA on the AKC site.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I get Elaine's drift. She's saying that there's always a way to cheat any system. It doesn't mean the AKC is as bad as the CKC, APRI, etc. The AKC is the FCI-recognized registry in this country, that is a fact and is not going to change because people are cheats.

We can't place so much emphasis on registries determining the value of a dog or proving this or that. Like I said earlier, my dogs' registry simply allows me to be involved in the activities I like to do. I know my dogs are who they are because I am familiar with the lines and pedigrees for several generations. I don't need a paper to give my dog value or prove anything about him to me.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
CKC also = Canandian Kennel Club. Also a rep kennel. If I was to buy a CKC pup first thing I would ask is Can Or Con.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
They'd be worth the world to the people who love them. :p (How's that for a politically correct answer?)

Honestly, they'd be worth the world to the people who love them, right up until they dump them in an animal shelter because they're moving or had a baby or the dog pee'd on the carpet. Statistically, people who pay $250 for a puppy are much more likely to dump it in a shelter at the first sign of trouble than people who pay $1000 for a puppy.

My Rocky is a $300 newspaper dog and at his age, he's probably the only one of his littermates still owned by the people who bought them as pups.
You summed up what I've been trying to tell my friend.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
My post? All I can say to that is perhaps you need to chill a bit. I have a pound puppy with a PAL number who is spayed. I don't need to lie, cheat or rob a bank.
You know if you would read more than a sentence at a time, you would see I was talking about Dog and NOT you. There was a typo in the first sentence that maybe if you would chill out, you could have figured out for yourself or just questioned it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
No what I mean is.... In my house hold I got two GSD's I love them there my pets! :) But Last night my BF and were talking about the dogs and that we need to take Morgen to the vet to get on HW meds and receive a well check. Out of the blue he says we should breed them because they are beautiful dogs. I am not up for breeding!! I have three kids and two Shepherds my life is full of things to do as it is. Yet i guess he thinks I am super woman or something... I voted against breeding them, yet he argued otherwise. But when I got to thinking about it they are both CKC registered. (Which does not bother me, I love them the same as I would any type of registered dog or unregistered dog.) But I had herd so many things about CKC registered dogs. So I was curious to what others with GSD's thought to the CKC registry. Because for one if I can get more facts it benefits me, up for convincing him to change his mind. Plus make it known that with their registries he wont be getting anywhere as far as people staying they are high quality dogs because they are adorable. lol Like someone said not only is Morgen a dog aggressive dog but I love my Bandit the way he is I don't want him to change if he breeds. If anyone has read my past posts I am wanting to get Bandit fixed when it is safe to do so. :crazy: I dunno why to be truthfully honest why he argues to breed them because they are not his dogs! :confused: **I also was responding to posts on the second page I think... I didn't read the rest of the posts till after I responded.... To be honest I asked a simple question with your opinion on CKC I don't know why there for a bit it seemed members were getting testy with each other. Everyone has a different opinion! An to answers someone question to why yes was selected for a good registry I selected it! I couldn't see the results to my poll:rolleyes:.**

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I'm glad you don't want to breed your dogs. I know they're good dogs and you love them, but if you volunteer at a shelter or even watch Craigslist for any length of time you'll see that there are waaaaaaay too many beautiful GSDs that are unwanted.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
If your BF wants more dogs around maybe he can get involved in fostering or fostering a a litter.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I'm glad you don't want to breed your dogs. I know they're good dogs and you love them, but if you volunteer at a shelter or even watch Craigslist for any length of time you'll see that there are waaaaaaay too many beautiful GSDs that are unwanted.
I do watch craigslist all the time because I get bored around nap time or at night when everything dies down.... It is very sad! Both my dogs came off of craigslist. I can't believe what people fight about on that site. Or you will see poeple selling one dog one day and a few days later who ever bought it turns around to sell it and the person who sold it get's all pissed. I would too, but who I really feel for is those pets! Getting treated like they have no feelings!!:mad: All people on CL seem to be out for is a the $$$ not about how those poor pets feel being bounced around.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
If your BF wants more dogs around maybe he can get involved in fostering or fostering a a litter.
I could only wish! When he means breed them he means me! What I mean by that is knowing him, he will let them breed then make me do all the caring for the puppies while he sits back and does nothing, even though he is the one that wanted to do it!! Kind of like the kids. lol He sits back and doesn't help with childcare. He thinks he is diffrent and can sleep in, in the AM and not have to make meals or clean house or have to watch them, etc. That's all up to me he figures..... Why would puppies be any diffrent?!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
My veterinarian wanted me to breed my Kenju, with my then foster dog Divvie.
I was not as educated on GSDs then as I am now, but still knew better than that:)

Some people do have odd ideas at times!

Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders (as well as a full plate).

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubbles, but....

The AKC will take a CKC (Continental)registration or any other registry's papers and for $30 turn out AKC registrations, FULL registrations!
Ummm where are you getting this information? I can't find it anywhere on AKC's website and I've never heard about it before. The only thing similar to that I can find is to register dogs who are with foreign registries (including the CKC--Canadian Kennel Club, not Continental.) They have a list of acceptable registries that your dog can be registered with and transferred to AKC registration, and the Continental Kennel Club is not one of them.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
My veterinarian wanted me to breed my Kenju, with my then foster dog Divvie.
I was not as educated on GSDs then as I am now, but still knew better than that:)

Some people do have odd ideas at times!

Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders (as well as a full plate).
Your vet said that? Oh my.lol

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
knowing him, he will let them breed then make me do all the caring for the puppies while he sits back and does nothing, even though he is the one that wanted to do it!!
Since you know that he is likely to do this - and since he already has the idea to breed them in his head - maybe now would be a good time to have one of your dogs spayed or neutered so it cannot happen.

If he wants to breed two dogs that are 1 year and 9 months, respectively, and both came off Craig's List, who's to say he won't let them out together while you're not home to let them breed, then go, "Whoops, I don't know how that happened."

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Since you know that he is likely to do this - and since he already has the idea to breed them in his head - maybe now would be a good time to have one of your dogs spayed or neutered so it cannot happen.
Boy, I sure agree with this!
Sheilah

41 - 60 of 84 Posts