German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just had our first vet appointment and CJ went from 9lbs at 7 weeks to 12.8lbs at almost 9 weeks. The vet said that we can triple his weight at 12 weeks to determine what his ending weight will be. Has anyone else heard of this? This scares me a little because we were expecting him to be at least 90lbs but it doesn't seem that he would be gaining the additional 18lbs to get to 30 lbs at 12 weeks.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If there is one thing I've heard on this forum a lot is "they all grow at different rates" I did hear that they double what they weigh at 4 months but that is probably just another theory as well. To answer your question I've never heard that before. Pretty interesting though. My Titan was 31 lbs at 12 weeks so that would put him at 93 lbs that's not too bad.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
All dogs are different. I think that is a general formula but some mature faster or slower than others. Regardless, a lower weight is healthier for any dog, but especially an active one like a gsd, because it puts less stress on their joints and ligaments. And it's also a lot easier when you have to pick them up when they get older or if they get hurt!

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Don't believe it. Grimm was small as a puppy, and is now a galaxy class Klingon Bird of Prey-sized teenager. His footprints in the snow dwarf the other dogs', and if I didn't clean up after him with poop pick-up bags, folks would think we had a Brontosaurus loose in the neighborhood. They grow at their own rates, and they will finish out based on genetics, so knowing parents and grandparents sizes helps.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. We know that his father is aprox. 110 lbs and mother is 89 lbs not sure about the grandparents. I am actually going to look for a vet that has specific GS training or knowledge mainly due to some of the other things he said about the GSD behaviors and we gave him the traditional GS head tilt. One being that all biting and mouthing is a show of aggression not just puppy play and he wants us to do a wrist flick while holding him (a gentle shake) to break him of it. Being a mom anything related to shaking no matter how gentle is a no no for me. He also said that yelping at him would not work but we have had good results with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
wow! my loki who is 11 1/2 weeks old today weighed 13 pounds at 9 weeks when we took him to the vet and today weighs 30. I actually just weighed him for you, he is still very lean but, the growth spurts these dogs have are amazing.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I've always heard that slow growth is ideal for large dogs.

Don't get hung up on pup bragging rights, ie mine was 90lbs at 7 mos, 110lbs at 1yr etc. Regardless of whether he (ful)fills his 'genes' you're gonna love him madly, right?

I love big dogs, though tall is my schtick rather than heft. IF my boy maxes out at a paltry 22", 40lbs it will be a very minor disappointment & the least of my concerns for him.

My 2 Irish Wolfhounds were very average sized IWs, 32-33", 120-140lbs. Taller would have been cool, sure, but I wouldn't have traded 'em for double their weight in gold & my only real regret is they couldn't live forever.

·
2,967 Posts
It really does seem to be true that dogs grow in different ways. My dog was a monster when he was small. Always a little ahead of the growth charts...2 months=23 lbs 5 months=54 lbs. At 7 months he was about 72 lbs...and then he just seemed to stop. Now at 13 months he's 79 lbs. Not nearly the 100 lbs that everyone was projecting based on his growth when he was small.

I figure when he's all done growing and filling out he'll be about 85 lbs, just like his Dad.

Genetics seems to be the major factor in projecting adult size, but of course there are always throw-backs in every family. (I know we look at my sister who's only 5'5" in a family of 5'10"+ and figure it has to be from mt Mom's side of the family where she's the tallest) In the end, slow growth is definitely healthier for your pup as is being lean. So don't worry about trying to bulk him up. If he's a little on the smaller side he'll be in standard (the low end for males is about 60lbs...and I think he'll be bigger than that!) and oh so athletic!

(And BTW puppies don't have true aggression. GSDs are known for being mouthy little alligators...I would keep up the yelping, redirecting him towards things he can bite)

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Dante did about the same
In his 4th month he was in the 40s, 5th month in the 50s, 6 months 60s, 7 month low 70s.
At 4 he's now about 85 pounds, which is just exactly what the breeder predicted he'd weigh as an adult.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
is there something magical about a gsd being 90 lbs or 100 lbs. is it desirable? is it good to be breeding for size? is it for bragging rights? if your dog ended up at 75 ibs, why would you care? i just dont get some peoples obsession with the weight of their dog, unless a dog was failing to gain weight due to some serious health issue.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not magical. Condor, our most amazing and very missed GS, was 92lbs and we were going off of the parents weight for CJ's expected weight (mom 89lbs and dad 110lbs) when I asked about 90lbs. When we started looking for a GS we wanted big. This mix of parent weight seemed to be great for us. If he was 50lbs, had floppy ears and a limp we would love him just the same. I was more curious of how other GSD developed as far as age to weight as a puppy and age and weight now as an adult.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
cj's mom,

sorry, my comments werent really directed at you so much as to some who are just obsessed w/ their dog being as big and heavy as possible. its good to know what to expect as far as how big your dog may get. i just worry sometimes that, over the years, this breed is being bred to be larger than they need be for any practical purposes.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Understandable worry! No appology needed but thanks. We just want to make sure that he is developing as he is supposed to or if not we want to catch early. Right now he has floppy ears, one testicle that hasn't dropped, pees as soon as he drinks, alligator snaps at everything moving or not and doesn't understand that tennis shoes are not chew toys but we couldn't ask for a better kisser or snuggler. Stay in touch and I'll let you know how the growth is going.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts