German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we live in the city in a townhouse with a little patio where our 2 GSD's love to sit and guard the house. There has to be like 100 dogs per block and every time a dog walks by our house they get barked at by our dogs. Some people laugh it off, some get annoyed and some people especially the ones just looking at their phones get startled by our dogs. The other day a girl's dog made a jump because he got startled by ours and the girl tripped and fell. She was fine but we are concerned that some day someone could get hurt and we could get sued. My personal opinion is that dogs tend to bark and if you own a dog, you should be prepared to get barked at but this is America and the law doesn't always make sense. I would hate to keep the doggies inside all the time because they love to be outside....What do you guys think? By the way we don't let them bark outside all day, we wouldn't do that to our neighbors.

Dog Dog breed Plant Carnivore Grass

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I vehemently disagree with your sentiments. It’s one thing for your dog inside of the house to be barking at dogs passing by. You shouldn’t be allowing your dogs to sit on the patio and bark at every dog that passes. That’s not protecting anything. That’s harassing random dogs. I know some things happen and you should be prepared to deal with them. That does make them ok or acceptable to allow them to continue. I say this to you as a person has lived downtown with two German shepherds.

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis, Reacher Auf Der Marquis
1,596 Posts
Lovely looking dogs you've got. We live and travel fulltime in an RV. When we are sitting outside our GSDs do not bark at dogs walking by or even return the barks they get from LWDs. They just watch, the silent watching makes some people nervous.

While inside If they hear an unusual sound or one that sounds like someone is messing with our camper they get loud might happen twice a week at most. When it happens at one in the morning it really gets the blood flowing. 😁

For your dogs the barking has become a self rewarding habit.

·
Super Moderator
8,852 Posts
Where I live it's against the law to allow dogs to make passersby feel fearful and harassed.If animal control received a series of complaints and somebody was startled enough to get hurt legal trouble would ensue.

·
Super Moderator
5,913 Posts
Lovely looking dogs you've got. We live and travel fulltime in an RV. When we are sitting outside our GSDs do not bark at dogs walking by or even return the barks they get from LWDs. They just watch, the silent watching makes some people nervous.

While inside If they hear an unusual sound or one that sounds like someone is messing with our camper they get loud might happen twice a week at most. When it happens at one in the morning it really gets the blood flowing. 😁

We are full timers in our RV as well. If our gal-dog barked at every dog that passed by we would most likely be asked to leave whichever park we are in. A bark now and then is expected but constant barking is discouraged.

That being said, the people that walk by should be paying attention. Walking any dog and not being aware of the surroundings is asking for trouble.

·
Registered
12,924 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is it isolated to when they are sitting on the patio or are there other times when they bark at dogs/people?
It's about their territory. They are fine with dogs at the dog park but as we get close to our house, they behave less friendly and bark at the dogs that they didn't bother with a few mintues ago, unless they are friends with them. They only bark at people who are suspicious like this one guy hiding under his hoody, talking on the phone looking left and right every 2 seconds. There was a car jacking right in front of our neighbors house not long ago, so I appreciate them being protective.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can buy the following: https://www.amazon.com/Dogtek-Sonic-Control-Outdoor-Indoor/dp/B07ZS3QXXY/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1JBW9HM1PR1UY&keywords=anti+bark+bird+house&qid=1652374308&sprefix=anti+bark+bird+house,aps,138&sr=8-5
This has worked for our local shelter that was built on a city lot, donated to them. The entire neighborhood freaked out when that happened so they installed these devices and solved the issue.
I have one for my own outdoor kennel; great success! (Borat quote ;) )
I'm sure this would hurt them, the way they cry when we use our Sonicare toothbrushes. I have to make sure the dogs are on a different level in the house otherwise I have to brush manually. I would have no issue using that device on a dog I hate, not sure if I want to use it on the dogs I love 💁‍♂️

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

They just wait for a dog to walk by, so they have a reason to bark, so it could be a habit or a game to them. I'm surprised that you guys have GSD's that don't bark, I thought they were hard wired to do that. I grew up with 2 dogs, one of them was a GSD and they did exactly what our 2 GSD's do.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I agree about simply supervising them when they're outside. We're in an apartment west of Toronto's downtown core but in a busy area (quieter street) with a TON of dogs - so many! - and balcony panels that are clear. Luc (GSD, RIP) loved to bark at dogs and Xerxes the Attack Beagle - who has such a piercing bay it startles even hound owners - has bayed at dogs from below too (we are not on a super high floor).

We supervise, and verbally correct or redirect with praise/rewards when they do so (come/sit/down/paw - whatever there's space for depending how far away they are - and of course quiet) and it's made a big difference. So far this year - we're not 100%, but Xerxes is ALMOST indifferent to those dogs on HIS lawn and HIS sidewalk (could he be learning?). I don't leave them out unattended for a variety of reasons, but will pop into the apartment and they really just look at me through the screen door rather than watching below. I worked out there almost the entire day today and Agis and Xerxes were out with me quite a bit (Neb, our elder statesman, preferred the couch) and not a peep.

But it's not a matter of just sticking them out and expecting them to be quiet.

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis, Reacher Auf Der Marquis
1,596 Posts
They just wait for a dog to walk by, so they have a reason to bark, so it could be a habit or a game to them. I'm surprised that you guys have GSD's that don't bark, I thought they were hard wired to do that. I grew up with 2 dogs, one of them was a GSD and they did exactly what our 2 GSD's do.
It is about training wanted behaviors and enforcing them until they become habits, instead of allowing self taught behaviors. So with ours teaching them the street or sidewalk is not their territory and do not bark, if they come on to our property you can bark.

So we taught them not to bark at people or dogs passing by and corrected them. We rewarded just sitting and watching.

Everytime they alert inside, we thank them, go investigate, tell them to be quite and reward compliance.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
It's about their territory. They are fine with dogs at the dog park but as we get close to our house, they behave less friendly and bark at the dogs that they didn't bother with a few mintues ago, unless they are friends with them. They only bark at people who are suspicious like this one guy hiding under his hoody, talking on the phone looking left and right every 2 seconds. There was a car jacking right in front of our neighbors house not long ago, so I appreciate them being protective.
Barking at other dogs isn’t protecting anything. Human aggression and aggression towards other dogs don’t come from the same place(99% of the time). There’s almost no reason for your dog to ever be allowed to bark at another dog. I would watch them closely and put a stop to it anytime it starts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Barking at other dogs isn’t protecting anything. Human aggression and aggression towards other dogs don’t come from the same place(99% of the time). There’s almost no reason for your dog to ever be allowed to bark at another dog. I would watch them closely and put a stop to it anytime it starts.
"There’s almost no reason for your dog to ever be allowed to bark at another dog" Yes except for the fact that dogs are dogs and dogs bark lol!

·
Administrator
10,466 Posts
i don’t allow my dog to annoy the general public… i also wouldn’t leave him unattended to be at liberty of the general public should they decide to take matters into their own hands.

there used to be two jack russell’s that were fence chargers in one of my old neighborhoods - walked by them daily for two years…. complaints were made, warnings had been given but the owners stood on the fact that they were just dogs being dogs in their own yard. next thing we knew there were signs posted seeking information… both dogs had been shot, only one survived.

dogs can also very easily be poisoned.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
"There’s almost no reason for your dog to ever be allowed to bark at another dog" Yes except for the fact that dogs are dogs and dogs bark lol!
Yes dogs bark. There’s a difference between barking and barking appropriately. They also pee to mark their territory and eat any available food. I doubt you let them pee in your house or eat off your table when you aren’t looking. They should be taught and shown how to function in the environment they live in. That is what makes them assimilate into the world. I’m able to trust my dogs in any environment or situation because I have taught them how to function as dogs in a human world.
Dog Road surface Sunlight Asphalt Plant

Dog Sky Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog

Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Mammal Carnivore

Dog Photograph Carnivore Road surface Dog breed

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Fawn

Sky Glove Gesture Dog Travel

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i don’t allow my dog to annoy the general public… i also wouldn’t leave him unattended to be at liberty of the general public should they decide to take matters into their own hands.

there used to be two jack russell’s that were fence chargers in one of my old neighborhoods - walked by them daily for two years…. complaints were made, warnings had been given but the owners stood on the fact that they were just dogs being dogs in their own yard. next thing we knew there were signs posted seeking information… both dogs had been shot, only one survived.

dogs can also very easily be poisoned.
This is why I prefer dogs over people! Shooting dogs because they bark, really?! It's like people saying I'm vegetarian, my dog should be too

1 - 20 of 42 Posts