German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I need some advice as I'm not convinced that this is the right thing to do.

I'm having a problem with Dakota's come during obiedience classes. When she is coming towards me and there is a person standing partway she comes without a problem.

As dog distractions are being added I'm haviing a problem. She will run towards me, change her mind and run towards the dog that is standing closest to me. I was instructed to move closer and call her, with success, but there was not a dog immediately to my right. I swear she has ADD.

She did this once in Level 2 and she did it again last week in Level 3. The instructor said that she would like to try a citronella collar as she needs to learn that these deviations are not acceptable.

Any experiences/advice?

I did see the instructor use the citronella collar on a dog that would not stop barking after many attempts to quiet the dog. One squirt and it worked without any bad effects on the dog.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
If your instructor has experience with using it and you have a certain comfort level with it, then it sounds like it would be worth a try.

Another option, what we have used with some dogs in the classes I assist in is a flexi leash and/or a long line. I am not a fan of flexi leashes, but this is the one thing where I have seen it used effectively.

If you have to buy the collar, try the long line first IMO.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally Posted By: Everett54If your instructor has experience with using it and you have a certain comfort level with it, then it sounds like it would be worth a try.

Another option, what we have used with some dogs in the classes I assist in is a flexi leash and/or a long line. I am not a fan of flexi leashes, but this is the one thing where I have seen it used effectively.

If you have to buy the collar, try the long line first IMO.
Yes I have confidence in the trainer. I do not have to buy the collar, the trainer has one. What I really need is to stay after class with a few of the solid dogs to practice this a few times. I may suggest that to her now that I'm thinking about it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts