German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Cinco just turned 8 months old and this past Sunday I noticed that he had started to limp. At first I thought it was caused by Nikita, a 3 month old GSD, during their outdoor play together. During the week the pain has got progressively worse to the point that Cinco woke me up in the middle of the night two nights ago at the side of my bed whimpering and wanting loves.

Took him in to the vet last night and discovered that muscle atrophy is present in his shoulders and according to the Vet has been present for about 4 weeks. So back to the Vet this morning for xrays. Poor hound....can't barely walk around right now....stressing me out to see my always wanting to play/run dog acting like an old old old dog.

Wish us luck....

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, Cinco was diagnosed with pano.....whew! Worth the five hundred dollars I incurred...best case scenario..was given a time released cortisone injection (four week) to assist in recovery....cinco woke up walking a lil better....and wanting to play....

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
At that age, it would have been my first guess. I'm glad thats all it is. What do you feed him?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
when my pup had pano i use to massage his legs. sometimes
i filled a towel with ice and massaged his legs with it.
my traditional Vet prescribed Duramaxx my hoilstic Vet
prescribed Rostox. i don't know what Rostox is.

Okay, Cinco was diagnosed with pano.....whew! Worth the five hundred dollars I incurred...best case scenario..was given a time released cortisone injection (four week) to assist in recovery....cinco woke up walking a lil better....and wanting to play....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking that it was Pano myself but the xrays the ortho vet took reassured us that Cinco is great ortho-wise with no signs of dysplasia in the elbows or hips.

Cinco is fed Orijen LBP currently and will probably change to TOTW real soon. I also feed him cooked chicken breast on occasion mixed with his kibble.

Prior to taking Cinco in I had been massaging him every day and even rubbed some Vet Liniment Gel in his shoulder area to help him ease the pain.

Hopefully it will pass soon enough and we can resume his training.....

Have a great Sunday everyone.

Krymedogg
Keizer, OR

·
Registered
906 Posts
Poor guy!! I'm glad he is feeling better!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I hate it when they're not feeling up to par ... glad he's starting to feel better and hope he continues to do well!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts