German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
They changed the spelling. It is now "Kochi Free" ;)

From the manufacturer....Amber Naturalz (previously Amber Technology): Healthy Stools For Pets | Kochi Free is safe & Effective way to Firm Stools

From Amazon: Amazon.com : Kocci Free - All-Natural Anti-Parasitic for Pets (4 oz) by Amber Technology : Pet Supplies

From Only Natural Pet: Amber Naturalz Kochi Free GI Support Herbal Liquid Formula for Dogs & Cats

Dog Gas:
*Check the ingredient list for these products in your dogs food:
Soybeans, peas, beans, milk products, high-fat diets and spicy foods are all commonly associated with flatulence in dogs. (vcahospitals.com)
*Dogs that swallow air while eating, especially those that eat rapidly, are more likely to experience flatulence. (vcahospitals.com)
Try a "slow feed" bowl: Dog Slow Feeders - Top Brands, Low Prices (Free Shipping) | Chewy
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Oh joy, Kochi Free suppliers wont send to Australia. I suspect giardia now too. Nitro enjoyed swimming and playing in suspect water. My vet thought the problem was caused by reducing his cyclosporine and ketacanazole dose. I'll email my vet and discuss it. I've been keeping a food diary, and photographing his poop. I'm looking forward to deleting all those pictures off my phone.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Just stay on the perscription food for awhile. Sometimes they really need like a month of bland food and Forti Flora daily to settle down and get right.

I swear by Forti Flora. I board dogs and 95% of the upset stomachs can be fixed with bland food and FF in 24 hrs. My current fav is the Royal Canin GI low fat plus 1 packet of FF per day to cure all that ails ya.

GSDs just have terrible stomachs.

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
Research Bowel Pathogens. This in combination with Kochi Free has cured Deja permanently from Giardia when nothing else worked.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello, everyone! I’m new here and have brought with me major concerns about our puppy. Nyx is a 6 month old female, we’ve had her since January 2nd. In all other regards, she is absolutely a dream come true-smart, gentle, playful, and affectionate. We had some diarrhea when we first changed her food from what our breeder had her on, but it was short lived and she was fine for several months.
But since the very beginning of April, we’ve dealt with diarrhea and soft stools and I am at my wit’s end. The story starts like this:
We have 2 dogs-Nyx and our 2 year old GSD mix, River. Both dogs were on the same food, doing very well, and all was well. Nyx started having diarrhea over the course of one weekend. At first it was soft, but slowly turned into liquid stools. She never lost her appetite, and her energy levels were normal. But the diarrhea was mucousy and concerning enough that we decided to bring her to the vet after a 12 hour fast and bland diet didn’t stop it. Fecal was negative and the bloodwork unremarkable. They prescribed us a week’s worth of I/D canned food and Flagyl. She started showing improvement within two days and we figured all was well.
Then River started with the same type of diarrhea, but his was so severe that we rushed him to the ER vet on a Tuesday night. Again, they ran bloodwork and a full fecal, which was negative. He was started on the I/D canned food and a round of Flagyl. By the following week, he was fine and we haven’t had an issue with him since. He resumed his normal diet.
With both dogs having the same type of diarrhea, our vet asked us for stool samples from both dogs to run an ELISA test. It was negative, but I did the best I could with cleaning the house-all bedding, we got the carpets cleaned professionally, I sterilized toys and everything top to bottom. I thought we had gotten it.
...Then Nyx started with the diarrhea again the second we tried to add a little bit of her old food to start the transition back to her normal diet. Our vet tried another round of Flagyl and more canned I/D food, but it continued to stay soft and has to this day. Some days it was soft but slightly formed, other days was liquid. She was going one to two times a day without straining or urgency. The diarrhea was chocolate brown to a lighter brown, and varied from nearly odorless to pungent. She continued to have a normal appetite and energy level.
We have kept her on the I/D canned food since then because it is the only thing that gives her slightly formed stools, but I don’t think it’s enough calories for her and I don’t think she can be on it indefinitely. We tried adding a little pumpkin, but that didn’t seem to make a difference even after about 2 weeks of a few tbsp. per day.
Recently, our vet recommended we try Biome dry food slowly mixed in with the canned over a period of several weeks, and add Forti-Flora probiotics. We started giving the probiotics a few days before we tried the dry food as to not overload her stomach with new things all at once. Immediately, her stools firmed up and stayed normal for three days.
Then we tried to add 1/2 cup of the Biome kibble to the vet, which was yesterday morning. She didn’t poop for the entire day and we were worried she was constipated. This morning? Soft, cow pie poop again. 1/2 scoop of dry food and her body can’t handle it, it seems. I now worry that she’s losing weight even though I can still see and feel that she’s growing. I feel defeated. My husband is at the vet with her now, and they are going to run another fecal, another ELISA, a full diarrhea panel to check for SIBO or whatever else, and possibly run bloodwork to check for EPI (which terrifies me).
At this point, I don’t want to put her back on any drugs or antibiotics until I get more testing done, and they don’t even seem to help anyway.
Has anyone else experienced this? She’s fine on the bland I/D canned but can’t seem to handle any type of kibble. Does it really take this long for a puppy to recover from a possible stomach virus? And would EPI just start out of nowhere like it did?
Because both dogs had diarrhea, I’m still holding out hope it’s a virus and she’s just taking longer to recover, but we’re going on a month and a half of this with very little improvement. I have done a lot of research, especially on this site, but it seems like any discussions that are started that seem remotely similar to our situation don’t have a conclusion and I never find out what was wrong with the poster’s dog and how it resolved itself!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
An update:
Well, there hasn’t been a whole lot of change. We are currently waiting on the results of the EPI bloodwork that was done on Saturday. Nyx is eating 5 cans of I/D wet food per day (split into 3 meals) with a daily dose of Panacur and a daily dose of probiotic. She’s off all treats as well-poor thing. She had solid stools for several days and I was hopeful. Then she had diarrhea this morning and for the rest of the day following, she’s had large intestinal diarrhea- some straining, no urgency, but passing only small amounts at a time. This happened twice today. It’s frustrating because every step forward then feels like two steps back. The good news is that she still her happy, energetic self. Nothing seems to slow her down, but I hope we get answers soon. I’ll update with the results when I have them!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got a rescue female some years ago. She was about 2 years old. She developed severe diarrhea, mucous & blood, lost a lot of weight. Numerous vet visits & tests, special diet (boiled chicken & rice) as well as a couple of days on a drip and there were still no solutions. I did a lot of research and final put her on a TOTALLY grain free diet. Recovery was amazing. All stopped. Every now and then there would be an issue but I could always trace it back to something she ate eg snaffling a biscuit that fell on the floor. She is now 11 years old … is bright & healthy. My vet always says how amazing she looks for her age. And very rarely is there a problem. She can even eat a snaffled biscuit now with no problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We had a prolonged (~5 weeks) bout of diarrhea with Beau, our new pup, when we first brought him home back in late Feb. The breeder had him on a raw diet which we continued, but his stools would start off very soft in the mornings and turn to the consistency of watery mashed potatoes (sorry about the image that evokes) by the evenings. The vet put him on ID and an antibiotic. It didn't help. Still loose even with the ID. Between the diarrhea, the lack of freezer/frig space for keeping even a week's worth of raw diet stored, and the pup's obvious preference for our big boy's dry food mixed with boiled chicken (abandoning his bowl and trying to horn in on Duke's meal - which Duke tolerated, but if dog's could talk and roll their eyes he would have rolled his and said "really?!?"), we started switching him to a similar kind of diet (puppy formula obviously). The vet tried a different antibiotic, a single dose probiotic, along with more ID. Still no better and actually starting to get worse likely because of the food changeover (Beau was underweight by now), with liquid stools multiple times by the end of the day. Swtiched to a grain free puppy food, plus another round of antibiotics, more ID and this time a 30 day regimen of a once daily probiotic power (think it may have been fortiflora - didn't make a mental note of the name) and it slowly did the trick.

The point is, it wasn't a sudden cure. There was slow improvement over the 30 days with occasional setbacks, but the trend was in the right direction and even now, 3 months since we brought him home, there are occasional days when it's mushy by the later walks and then OK again by the next day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, everyone! I’m new here and have brought with me major concerns about our puppy. Nyx is a 6 month old female, we’ve had her since January 2nd. In all other regards, she is absolutely a dream come true-smart, gentle, playful, and affectionate. We had some diarrhea when we first changed her food from what our breeder had her on, but it was short lived and she was fine for several months.
But since the very beginning of April, we’ve dealt with diarrhea and soft stools and I am at my wit’s end. The story starts like this:
We have 2 dogs-Nyx and our 2 year old GSD mix, River. Both dogs were on the same food, doing very well, and all was well. Nyx started having diarrhea over the course of one weekend. At first it was soft, but slowly turned into liquid stools. She never lost her appetite, and her energy levels were normal. But the diarrhea was mucousy and concerning enough that we decided to bring her to the vet after a 12 hour fast and bland diet didn’t stop it. Fecal was negative and the bloodwork unremarkable. They prescribed us a week’s worth of I/D canned food and Flagyl. She started showing improvement within two days and we figured all was well.
Then River started with the same type of diarrhea, but his was so severe that we rushed him to the ER vet on a Tuesday night. Again, they ran bloodwork and a full fecal, which was negative. He was started on the I/D canned food and a round of Flagyl. By the following week, he was fine and we haven’t had an issue with him since. He resumed his normal diet.
With both dogs having the same type of diarrhea, our vet asked us for stool samples from both dogs to run an ELISA test. It was negative, but I did the best I could with cleaning the house-all bedding, we got the carpets cleaned professionally, I sterilized toys and everything top to bottom. I thought we had gotten it.
...Then Nyx started with the diarrhea again the second we tried to add a little bit of her old food to start the transition back to her normal diet. Our vet tried another round of Flagyl and more canned I/D food, but it continued to stay soft and has to this day. Some days it was soft but slightly formed, other days was liquid. She was going one to two times a day without straining or urgency. The diarrhea was chocolate brown to a lighter brown, and varied from nearly odorless to pungent. She continued to have a normal appetite and energy level.
We have kept her on the I/D canned food since then because it is the only thing that gives her slightly formed stools, but I don’t think it’s enough calories for her and I don’t think she can be on it indefinitely. We tried adding a little pumpkin, but that didn’t seem to make a difference even after about 2 weeks of a few tbsp. per day.
Recently, our vet recommended we try Biome dry food slowly mixed in with the canned over a period of several weeks, and add Forti-Flora probiotics. We started giving the probiotics a few days before we tried the dry food as to not overload her stomach with new things all at once. Immediately, her stools firmed up and stayed normal for three days.
Then we tried to add 1/2 cup of the Biome kibble to the vet, which was yesterday morning. She didn’t poop for the entire day and we were worried she was constipated. This morning? Soft, cow pie poop again. 1/2 scoop of dry food and her body can’t handle it, it seems. I now worry that she’s losing weight even though I can still see and feel that she’s growing. I feel defeated. My husband is at the vet with her now, and they are going to run another fecal, another ELISA, a full diarrhea panel to check for SIBO or whatever else, and possibly run bloodwork to check for EPI (which terrifies me).
At this point, I don’t want to put her back on any drugs or antibiotics until I get more testing done, and they don’t even seem to help anyway.
Has anyone else experienced this? She’s fine on the bland I/D canned but can’t seem to handle any type of kibble. Does it really take this long for a puppy to recover from a possible stomach virus? And would EPI just start out of nowhere like it did?
Because both dogs had diarrhea, I’m still holding out hope it’s a virus and she’s just taking longer to recover, but we’re going on a month and a half of this with very little improvement. I have done a lot of research, especially on this site, but it seems like any discussions that are started that seem remotely similar to our situation don’t have a conclusion and I never find out what was wrong with the poster’s dog and how it resolved itself!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Silas had much the same issue as a pup. Vet finally put him on Thorne Research, Gastriplex, not a Rx, can get it on Amazon, $50. He was good in 2 days. Kibble still upsets stomach. There is something in every kibble that doesn’t agree with him. He has eaten Darwins raw since and he is thriving. If I do give him kibble occasionally, I add the Gastriplex.
Hooe thus helps

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
I just wanted to update:

Nyx does NOT have EPI. Her bloodwork came back normal, with no flagged levels. She is still on the ID canned, and we have finished with her Panacur. Poops have been solid for 5 days now, so I’m hopeful her tummy is starting to settle.

·
Super Moderator
32,233 Posts
Keefer went through soft stools for months around that same age. I/d did nothing for him, but z/d with hydrolyzed proteins worked like a miracle. Regular fecal tests turned up nothing, the giardia antigen did finally confirm giardia so he went on a course of metranidazole, and we tested for EPI and SIBO. Fortunately he did not have EPI but he did have SIBO, which requires at least 4 weeks of antibiotics and usually B-12 shots. The information I found online said that either Tylan (tylosin) or tetracycline can be used. My vet didn't have Tylan in stock but he did have tetracycline, so that's what we used. Here's the info I printed out and brought with me to the appointment when I requested the tests: Bacterial Overgrowth in Dogs—More Common Than You Think - WSAVA2002 - VIN

I also started giving him this digestive blend: Bertes Digestion Blend (1 lb.) Berte's Digestion Blend - bacterial pancreatic IBD and GI supplement [04016] - $40.95

Description: Berte's Digestion Blend contains beneficial bacteria, pancreatic enzymes, amino acids and medicinal herbs in a convenient powder form. Designed to help heal the entire gastrointestinal system, this formula is beneficial for dogs suffering from Irritable Bowel Disease, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Colitis, GI disorders and chronic diarrhea.

Dosage: Mix with food in these amounts:

Toy breeds - 1/3 teaspoon
Up to 30 pounds - 1/2 teaspoon
30 to 60 pounds - 1 teaspoon
60 to 90 pounds - 2 teaspoons
Over 90 pounds - 2 to 3 teaspoons

Ingredients: One tablespoon contains:
L-Glutamine (500 mg), Lactobacillus Acidophilus 100 Million CFU (100 mg), Lactobacillus Bulgaricus 100 Million CFU (75 mg), Streptococcus Themophilus 75 Million CFU (75 mg), Ginger Root (10 mg), N-Acetyl-Glucosamine (50 mg), L-Glycine (32 mg), Papain (50 mg), Pepsin (100 mg), Pancreatin 4x (100 mg), Pancrelipase (50 mg), Ox Bile Extract (60 mg), Bromelain (40 mg), Amylase (30 mg), Trypsin (25 mg) and Betaine (30 mg).

Other Ingredients: Whey.

Information: Although Bertes Digestion Blend contains digestive enzymes, it can be used in conjunction with Food Science All Zyme for severe conditions, such as EPI (pancreatic insufficiency) or acute cases of IBD or colitis.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Keefer went through soft stools for months around that same age. I/d did nothing for him, but z/d with hydrolyzed proteins worked like a miracle. Regular fecal tests turned up nothing, the giardia antigen did finally confirm giardia so he went on a course of metranidazole, and we tested for EPI and SIBO. Fortunately he did not have EPI but he did have SIBO, which requires at least 4 weeks of antibiotics and usually B-12 shots. The information I found online said that either Tylan (tylosin) or tetracycline can be used. My vet didn't have Tylan in stock but he did have tetracycline, so that's what we used. Here's the info I printed out and brought with me to the appointment when I requested the tests: Bacterial Overgrowth in Dogs—More Common Than You Think - WSAVA2002 - VIN

I also started giving him this digestive blend: Bertes Digestion Blend (1 lb.) Berte's Digestion Blend - bacterial pancreatic IBD and GI supplement [04016] - $40.95

Description: Berte's Digestion Blend contains beneficial bacteria, pancreatic enzymes, amino acids and medicinal herbs in a convenient powder form. Designed to help heal the entire gastrointestinal system, this formula is beneficial for dogs suffering from Irritable Bowel Disease, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Colitis, GI disorders and chronic diarrhea.

Dosage: Mix with food in these amounts:

Toy breeds - 1/3 teaspoon
Up to 30 pounds - 1/2 teaspoon
30 to 60 pounds - 1 teaspoon
60 to 90 pounds - 2 teaspoons
Over 90 pounds - 2 to 3 teaspoons

Ingredients: One tablespoon contains:
L-Glutamine (500 mg), Lactobacillus Acidophilus 100 Million CFU (100 mg), Lactobacillus Bulgaricus 100 Million CFU (75 mg), Streptococcus Themophilus 75 Million CFU (75 mg), Ginger Root (10 mg), N-Acetyl-Glucosamine (50 mg), L-Glycine (32 mg), Papain (50 mg), Pepsin (100 mg), Pancreatin 4x (100 mg), Pancrelipase (50 mg), Ox Bile Extract (60 mg), Bromelain (40 mg), Amylase (30 mg), Trypsin (25 mg) and Betaine (30 mg).

Other Ingredients: Whey.

Information: Although Bertes Digestion Blend contains digestive enzymes, it can be used in conjunction with Food Science All Zyme for severe conditions, such as EPI (pancreatic insufficiency) or acute cases of IBD or colitis.
Did the digestion blend help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
32,233 Posts
Did the digestion blend help?
Since I did a bunch of things at the same time, it's hard to say if it was all of them together that helped or any one or two that made the most difference. This was a long time ago - 2006, but as I recall, I left him on the z/d and digestive blend until we finished the four weeks of antibiotics, then I gradually started switching him back to his regular food. I continued the digestive blend about a month after he was completely off the z/d, and then started to cut that back until he was off the supplement as well. He did fully recover, and was able to eat pretty much anything after that.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts