German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The breeders I am purchasing my pup from use Iams ProActive Health MiniChunks (1+ years) and said that my puppy doesn't necessarily need specifically puppy dog food and so this is why they use this kind of Iams. I will be bringing her home in 2 weeks and want to have a dog food picked out for her. Unless I continue to use the Iam's they use, I planned on buying a small bag of the Iam's and mixing it with the new dog food and gradually switch her completely over. What dog food did you or do you use for your puppy (she will be 9 1/2 weeks, just for reference) and why? I know I can talk this over with my vet (when I find one! on the list of things to do before bringing Roxy home) but I thought I would throw this question out a group of GSD owners! Also, how much/how often should I be feeding her?

·
Registered
484 Posts
I use Orijen. I use different kinds of the Orijen, including both large breed puppy food and adult food.

Puppies don't necessarily need puppy food. I recommend getting your pup off of Iams as soon as possible. That food isn't very good.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
With my last puppy, I used Blue Buffalo Puppy food. Why did I use it? Because it is a premium dog food, that is a bit high, but is not exactly a premium price.

The next dog I get will be fed Orijen large puppy food. Orijen is a better quality food than Blue Buffalo.

There are plenty of options out there. Avoderm, Wellness, Blue Buffalo, etc. You have plenty of choices. What I would do if I were in your shoes is feed the best I could afford.

I gotta agree with the above poster. Iams, though better than Purina and Pedigree, isn't very good. You'll want to switch to something that's at least a 3 star dog food. (www.dogfoodanalysis.com)

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I feed my puppies Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy, Wellness Large Breed Puppy and Merrick Puppy Plate, they love these foods and while they are exspensive, they are not as exspensive as Orijen, and my puppies preferred them. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts