German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I'm going to be a first time GSD owner and wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts on choosing between these two male puppies? I'm differentiating these puppies based on paw color (one reddish, one more blackish). Any thoughts on coat length etc would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should be choosing based on temperament.
The breeder should be guiding you.
Thanks. The breeder isn't calling out many differences in temperment. Both active, curious and confident. Any thoughts on differences in coats and physical characteristics or is it too early at this stage? Thanks!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Not sure how you're buying the pup but if you're having it shipped to you and all you have are pics...then you're at the mercy of the breeder and how honest they are as far as what they tell you...learning as much as you can about the breeders long term reputation is very very important......they should be the ones who guide you the most when selecting a pup......IF you can't go to the breeder...

GSDs coats and colors change a lot as they grow out of their puppy coat and become adults...a buyers best bet on what the puppy will look like-coat length and color AND more important temperament is to meet both parents and when you can---meet the grandparents...when you can't or don't do that then it's really anybodies guess as to what the pup may grow into...

·
Registered
844 Posts
I agree with everyone above. However, if you can't see the pups in person and the breeder isn't much help to you and all you're going on is looks....my own preference would be the one that is redder and/or darker. I love the redder colors. But again, that's my own preference. You have to choose according to what you like, not what everyone else says. It's your dog. Also, it's still too young to tell. GSD puppies go through a lot of color changes. All you have to do is to Google before and after pics to get a sense of the changes. Who knows, maybe the lighter one will get redder as it gets older.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
My last puppy came to a choice between two bicolors, dog was being shipped to me. The breeder was picking for me based on my wants, needs, and situation. There were 2 very similar. He still told me his thoughts and felt blue collar was best for me. He cited handler focus since I had listed that as one of my wants in a dog. He found the dog he sent to me to be the most people oriented in the litter. He sent me lots of videos of the pup with the litter, alone, playing with his daughter, playing with a puppy rag. If you cant see them in person tell the breeder your important points, let them decide for you.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Meet the puppies and decide which one clicks with you. There are a ton of articles out there on how to assess a puppy. Do some reading then go prepared to "test" each puppy yourself.

·
Super Moderator
6,692 Posts
Late to the party... the puppy with the darker paws is a long coat. Both will likely be saddle backs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quick update... Training coming along well and he's almost done with his vaccinations (restricted socialization for now). In the middle of the biting phase although I'm doing my best to curb it (stopping play as soon as he bites, not letting him initiate play, giving him toys to bite) - any other tips to get him away from biting hands and things like furniture? And slowly upping his food amount. Right now he's on two meals of Royal Caanin (1.25 cups each morning and night) with a lunch of chicken, rice and veggies like carrots. Late morning and evening snack of bread, cookies and a probiotic. Any thoughts or advice on amount and type of food?

So cute. Please keep us updated on how you guys are doing with one another.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You are doing an extremely amazing job. I commend you. Make sure it's either puppy food or for all life stages. I personally feed them the amount that gives them the ideal body when looked from above and from the side. I don't go by the bag. If I see them getting too fat I cut back some. I've learned that with these breed you just have to correct them with a no, shh, or small slap on the nose, what ever you use and they learn. But when I had other breeds i would use pepper spray on the furniture until they no longer even though about it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I heard you should use a large breed formula or a food that has similar characteristics to avoid the dog growing too fast and having joint problems. I used Nulo freestyle, and Jupiter did great on it, loves it enough to be used for treats, and has a beautiful coat.

Also, while health-wise, it's good to keep the dog home until all the vacs are done, it's a major negative for socialization. There is a vital socialization period between 9-16 weeks, so it basically ends by the time the vacs are finished. This is the time that the pup most strongly learns what is good and safe and what is bad and scary in the world, which includes people, kids, other dogs, automatic doors, polished concrete floors, cars, bikes, etc., etc. If the dog is at home during this time, it has a higher chance of being permanently afraid of the normal aspects of life.

It is true that going out before all the vacs are finished incurs a greater risk of getting sick, but depending on local conditions, it is not necessarily that much different of a risk. However, staying home during this vital socialization period may have permanent effects that can't be changed later.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts