German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you look for / what questions do you ask when you're meeting a new vet for the first time?
I'm trying to find a new one. Again. And since we've been through a few of them, I'm thinking that my judgment isn't all that great and maybe I'm just not asking the right questions, or looking for the right things, initially.

I'm taking Gunner in to meet a potential vet on the 2nd. He's not due for anything right now, which is good - I just want to meet the vet, have her check him out, get an accurate weight on him, etc. and see if she seems like a good fit for us before anything does have to be done.

I just don't trust my judgment anymore. I liked our current (hopefully soon-to-be previous) vet and he turned out to be a jerk. And the techs... don't even get me started on them! They've mistreated Riley (and that's not an accusation I would jump to unless I was darn sure of it.) The last time I had Gunner in, the scale was a good ten pounds light. (I know because I got on it after I saw what it showed for Gunner, and I know I haven't lost ten pounds anytime recently! lol.) The vet decided he'd rather stand there and argue with me, insisting that his scale is correct, instead of just checking it.
So, finding a new vet is a necessity. I'm just not sure how to approach it.

Any advice?

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I ask people who have dogs where they go and what they like or dislike about their vet. I ask friends, strangers on the street, on email lists, forums like this, the owner of the kennel I go to, people at the feed store, etc. Other things I think about is their vaccination protocal, hours, how they handle an emergency, things important to me as the owner of a breed who has serious health issues.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
There is a book called 'Speaking for Spot' and it includes a chapter titled, 'Finding Dr. Wonderful and Your Mutt's Mayo Clinic' pg 39. A good read for ideas and you can preview the chapter on google books, http://books.google.com/books?id=7fbFxZC...page&q=&f=false

Includes sample questions and everything! pg 39-57

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link, natalie -- I'll have to check that out.

And thanks for mentioning emergencies, Gayle! Our soon-to-be previous place is open pretty much 24/7 for emergencies, so it's not something I've had to give much thought to. There is another after-hours emergency clinic pretty close to us, but in a life or death emergency, I'd like to be able to get ahold of their regular vet too, if possible.
And the vaccination protocols -- yeah, that's one thing that concerns me. Most of the vets around here still push the 'once a year, whether they need it or not' philosophy. And if that's the case with this potential vet, it's something we're never going to agree on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts