German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my boyfriend are going to be bringing our new puppy home soon (about 2 weeks) and I wanted to make sure she would be eating a balanced diet when she gets here.

At the moment we are leaning towards Taste of the Wild. We also looked at Orijen, Instict, Innova EVO, and a couple of others at the local Earth Pets market.

Although some may have great success with other brands, we are not looking into any commercial pet store or grocery store brands for our baby.

Does anyone have experience with the brands I named above? Do you think TOTW would be a good choice?

The only concern I have is the high protein content of some of the brands and some of the others have very high fat content. Both of her parents were pretty big (80-95 lbs) so I want to make sure she doesn't grow too quickly.

Thanks,
Jennifer

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Orijen puppy. Their foods are excellent and they are a great company. They have their own manufacturing plant (Champion Foods) and are very concerned about the environment and environmental sustainability.

The others are all good foods but I think Orijen is your best choice. I have also fed TOTW and Instinct.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowOrijen puppy. Their foods are excellent and they are a great company. They have their own manufacturing plant (Champion Foods) and are very concerned about the environment and environmental sustainability.

The others are all good foods but I think Orijen is your best choice. I have also fed TOTW and Instinct.
Do you mean "puppy" or "LARGE BREED puppy"?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Originally Posted By: BlackGSD
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowOrijen puppy. Their foods are excellent and they are a great company. They have their own manufacturing plant (Champion Foods) and are very concerned about the environment and environmental sustainability.

Do you mean "puppy" or "LARGE BREED puppy"?
Unless they're getting a mini gsd I think Large Breed Puppy would be the obvious choice!
I see you've explained that below though so maybe we can delete these two middle posts?

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Jennifer,

A lot of folks (and even some grain free kibble makers) consider the grain free kibbles to not be the best choice for large breed puppies due to the high cal/phos amounts. Orijen Large puppy is the only one with cal/phos in the levels that a lot of people are confortable with.

Though I will say that there is at least one board member that feeds TOTW to puppies and says she has had no problems.

·
Registered
932 Posts
before getting a food and giving it to the pup as soon as it gets home you should be feeding it what the breeder is giving it, a puppy needs to stay on what it is used to and switched slowly, at first it will be stressed from leaving what it knows to a strange place and then giving it new food right off the bat will just stress it systems. I would keep it on what its used to for a couple of weeks until things settle then introduce the new food slowly by mixing it with its old food.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Not necessarily. A lot of people don't buy into the whole "large breed" puppy food idea. But still feel the need to use puppy food. And not all stores carry both formulas, so someone may not know there is even a LB puppy formula available.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: mkennelsbefore getting a food and giving it to the pup as soon as it gets home you should be feeding it what the breeder is giving it, a puppy needs to stay on what it is used to and switched slowly, at first it will be stressed from leaving what it knows to a strange place and then giving it new food right off the bat will just stress it systems. I would keep it on what its used to for a couple of weeks until things settle then introduce the new food slowly by mixing it with its old food.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mKennels - Well, we already know about the switching foods over gradually, as this is not our first puppy, thanks though!

BlackGSD - what would you recommend?

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
It's up to you. If I was going to feed a rain free to a puppy, it would probably be the Orijen Large puppy. (But I don't feed grain free.)

All you can do is research and decide what YOU think is best for you and your pup. (And hope that it works for your pup.) Because no matter WHAT you feed, there will be people that don't agree with it.

Just keep in mind that just because YOU think a food is good or the "right one" doesn't mean your pup/dog will do well on it. You need to give a kibble a chance, but dont' be afraid to change if it isn't working out.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
never fed puppy food. we started out with Natural Balance but the Shep stopped eating it. now we use Wellness kibble and canned. we also throw in ground beef, yogurt (plain-organic), chicken, baby food. our breeder never used puppy food because of the protein level. i forget what percentage level she told me to keep the protein level. Whole Dog Journal has a special issue out that's all about dog food and manufacturers. good luck with the new pup.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i agree w/ BlackGSD, if i had to feed a grainless kibble to a gsd pup, orijen lg breed puppy is the only one id consider.

·
Registered
833 Posts
This is a very important decision for you and your pup. Do your homework. You have to be comfortable with it
As far as I'm concerened Orijen large breed kibble is the best kibble on the market for a GSD pup.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I was looking at Orijen large breed puppy, and shows a protein count of 42%

dogfoodratings says that is to high for a puppy...what do you guys think? I want the best food I can get for my puppy....grainless or not.

Wellness Core is all grainless and has a protein count of around 34% (I think) what do you guys think about it?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have been doing a lot of research and from what I've read I think you just have to decide what you think would be best for you and your puppy.

Everyone really has different opinions on dog food so it is hard to determine who is right and who is wrong... and maybe it doesn't even come to right and wrong and is a lot to do with opinion.

If you go to Orijen's website they discuss the high protein, and explain that dogs need an energy source. They can get it from proteins, carbs, or fats, and Orijen basically focuses more on protein, while lowering their carb levels and keeping moderate amounts of fat.

I would keep researching, and find what you think is best, like most people here have suggested for me =)

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
While I'm a strong proponent of grain free foods, I'm not yet sold that grain-free is completely perfect for puppies -- especially grainfree kibble which is so nutrient-dense. Grain free canned, which is high in moisture is fine. So is a grain-free raw or home made diet. But kibble concerns me. So I don't feed grain-free kibble to puppies.

One of the foods I most strongly prefer for puppies is Nature's Variety Prairie (any of the formulas). It's formulated as an All Life Stages food. Not all adult foods are formulated that way. Dogfoodanalysis.com rates it highly and and Whole Dog Journal givesit its thumbs-up as well.

I think it's an excellent food (for one that's grain-based), and I like the fact that NV provides information on EVERY nutrient. With other manufacturers, I have to email them just to find out how much Calcium and Phosphorous the food has in it. These are vital ingredients that every informed puppy/dog owner should know about as they choose a food. If that information isn't easily available on the website, much less the bag, well, gosh, they're not communicating with me on the easy stuff, what if something much harder occurs (like a recall)?

Once the pup is old enough, I move him to a grain free diet. There are numerous options for grain free. Instinct, Orijin, etc

I just don't see a reason to feed puppy food unless there's a specific veterinary need for it.

Axxel, the link to Dr. Newman's website in interesting. Thanks for including it. But I wonder about his statement that 12% fat is the maximum we should feed. Most of the quality kibbles that are fed by many members here (including Canidae, an All Life Stages food, that seems to be one of the most popular with the respected breeders) hover right around 14-15%. And these pups(including mine) have grown up to be healthy and vibrant adults. So I'm questioning that number.

I believe that feeding an active pup foods with 10% fat (like Natural Balance's allergy formulas) may not give him enough energy. I'm no DVM, but I just think that 10-12% is too low for active puppies.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Originally Posted By: 3K9MomWhile I'm a strong proponent of grain free foods, I'm not yet sold that grain-free is completely perfect for puppies -- especially grainfree kibble which is so nutrient-dense. Grain free canned, which is high in moisture is fine. So is a grain-free raw or home made diet. But kibble concerns me. So I don't feed grain-free kibble to puppies.

One of the foods I most strongly prefer for puppies is Nature's Variety Prairie (any of the formulas). It's formulated as an All Life Stages food. Not all adult foods are formulated that way. Dogfoodanalysis.com rates it highly and and Whole Dog Journal givesit its thumbs-up as well.

I think it's an excellent food (for one that's grain-based), and I like the fact that NV provides information on EVERY nutrient. With other manufacturers, I have to email them just to find out how much Calcium and Phosphorous the food has in it. These are vital ingredients that every informed puppy/dog owner should know about as they choose a food. If that information isn't easily available on the website, much less the bag, well, gosh, they're not communicating with me on the easy stuff, what if something much harder occurs (like a recall)?

Once the pup is old enough, I move him to a grain free diet. There are numerous options for grain free. Instinct, Orijin, etc

I just don't see a reason to feed puppy food unless there's a specific veterinary need for it.

Axxel, the link to Dr. Newman's website in interesting. Thanks for including it. But I wonder about his statement that 12% fat is the maximum we should feed. Most of the quality kibbles that are fed by many members here (including Canidae, an All Life Stages food, that seems to be one of the most popular with the respected breeders) hover right around 14-15%. And these pups(including mine) have grown up to be healthy and vibrant adults. So I'm questioning that number.

I believe that feeding an active pup foods with 10% fat (like Natural Balance's allergy formulas) may not give him enough energy. I'm no DVM, but I just think that 10-12% is too low for active puppies.
Nature's Variety Prairie, look good...but it has calcium a little high for me at 1.65% min

I have been looking at Eagle Pack Holistic LBP, and Canadie ALS. The ALS seems to have plenty of meat while keeping the calcium and protein with in acceptable levels.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Axxel,

It is only the Salmon flavor of Praire that has 1.65%. Some of the others are lower, and at least 1 of them is higher.

Canidae is 1.2% MINIMUM. But they call it 1.8% "as fed".

This is what they said in an email to another board member: (Coppied and pasted from the "Canidae flavors" post.)

"We list a Min 1.20% calcium and a 1.80% max = 1.50% average calcium
Which makes the ALS average calcium at the Ideal mark of 1.50%. There
are naturally occurring variances in all foods. We are showing the
total possible variances."

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
NV Prarie calcium numbers on their site are all listed as minimums. i have emailed them as well to finds out what their max numbers are.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts