German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a going on 5 month old GSD, and it is EXTREMELY hard to walk him. He never likes to go too far, which is fine I usually let him set the distance and turn around when he seems like he is ready.

However, he just insists on pulling so hard that it sounds like he is having trouble breathing.

The other issue is, sometimes he just instantly bolts for the grass while we're on the sidewalk. Now a lot of times I will let him sit on the grass because I think he needs rest, but then he does it ever 2 feet and I have to end up tugging on him fairly hard to get him to come.

Due to this I dread walks and even try to avoid them just playing with him in the house. That said, I am sure that he needs to be walked at his age I just feel so terrible once we get home that I am going to cause serious damage due to all the of the tugging and with him constantly pulling so hard and choking himself.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have to ask, why on Earth would anyone get another puppy after their first one!? Almost everyday I am borderline regretting ever getting this guy because he is the furthest thing from being a joy to be around. He wants to bite me constantly, every 5-10 minutes I find myself shouting NO at him... whew... I guess the first year is the roughest. Also, is it normal to not be able to relax with a puppy? Whenever he is out near me if I am trying to watch TV it is like having to constantly be on edge due to him potentially chewing something he shouldn't chew or just being a bad boy.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
you have to take control and learn how to train and socialize your dog. learn
about puppy behaviour, learn about dog behaviour and when you do you're going
to have a well trained highly socialized dog. you do your part and the dog will do
his or her part. if you fail it's your fault not the dog's fault.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Obedience training will help. Dont pull him. Short pops (not hard) on the leash will be more effective, but I'd suggest getting with a trainer first so you don't confuse him.

Letting him decide when to turn around is setting you up for failure, IMHO. You should be the one making all of the decisions.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I got the pup through GatorlandK9 and am also having him trained through them with training lessons.

He already sits, goes down, and comes most of the time (he is still too young to be corrected), but he is terrible at taking walks.

He just pulls and pulls and never wants to go the same direction that I do. My trainer stated it is ok if he pulls that it will build his leg muscles, but I am pretty sure hearing him struggling to breathe is not a good thing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same problem with my 5 month old. He has gotten a lot better on his walks. It takes time and patience. We make him walk by our sides to keep him from pulling. He still does some minor pulling...don't get me wrong :) but nothing major.

Now I would love to get some ways to stop him from snapping at us and biting. We are trying off and it works to some extent...but now he just goes up to us...bites our hand and waits for a treat. Smart dog lol. I wish I could be of more help, but it's my first gsd.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you have to take control and learn how to train and socialize your dog. learn
about puppy behaviour, learn about dog behaviour and when you do you're going
to have a well trained highly socialized dog. you do your part and the dog will do
his or her part. if you fail it's your fault not the dog's fault.
I appreciate your response... I have watched a few videos on puppy obedience and even have him setup with a trainer. That is not what I was asking but thank you none the less.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the same problem with my 5 month old. He has gotten a lot better on his walks. It takes time and patience. We make him walk by our sides to keep him from pulling. He still does some minor pulling...don't get me wrong :) but nothing major.

Now I would love to get some ways to stop him from snapping at us and biting. We are trying off and it works to some extent...but now he just goes up to us...bites our hand and waits for a treat. Smart dog lol. I wish I could be of more help, but it's my first gsd.

Thanks, so the key here is to continue taking him on walks. Did your pup also pulls to where you could sort of hear him struggling to breathe? You'd think that'd make him stop pulling but he doesn't.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Do either one of you use a flirtpole to wear out your pup a bit before walks? Puppies love them, just be careful right now during teething(let them win, but don't overdo the tug)
I'd try to wear pup out a bit before the walks so the pulling isn't so bad(or have them wear a front clip harness)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks, so the key here is to continue taking him on walks. Did your pup also pulls to where you could sort of hear him struggling to breathe? You'd think that'd make him stop pulling but he doesn't.
I would!! We stopped for a while because it was frustrating and he would run crazy around the house. The walk was good to get him outside and trained to walk with us. We even practice in the house. It takes a lot of patience.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do either one of you use a flirtpole to wear out your pup a bit before walks? Puppies love them, just be careful right now during teething(let them win, but don't overdo the tug)
I'd try to wear pup out a bit before the walks so the pulling isn't so bad(or have them wear a front clip harness)
I haven't tried the flirtpole but that sounds like a great idea. We have the front clip harness for him and that works wonders!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, I felt so bad I went and took his collar off for a bit to observe his neck but he was acting normal and being his usual self so I feel a lot better. Sometimes I just worry with him being so young I am hurting his neck but I just need to be mindful of it. I will try to get a flirtpole and wear him out as well.

My trainer suggested that I not use any harnesses for walking him, they advised against them because they stated it never teaches the puppy how to walk on a lead?

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I'd rather have a front clip harness than have my puppy choking. 5 months is still a bit young to expect the puppy not to pull. I would carry a clicker and treats on walks, call pup back to you often, mark reward and praise pup for loose leash. There are methods to train the loose leash walking. google video...quite a few youtubes are available on the subject.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't have any advice for your walking problem just posting to say,

My pup though only almost 4months still does the hand biting but I recently found out the other half lets her "suckle" her thumb, so now I know that her hand nipping stopped as soon as I let her suckle, so the wife has to stop the suckling, so I guess make sure noones doing something like that or just letting her mouth a hand.

And today I am walking around with socks jammed inside my socks, the ankle biting does not hurt anymore yay! and shes getting bored with it

·
Registered
2 Posts
My puppy was a terrible walker...weaving in and out and pulling hard. My trainer told me to stop walking when her leash had no slack. She said to stand still and wait until she backed up and gave the leash slack. It took a lot of patience and practice but she walks pretty good for a 6 month old. My puppy caught on that we don't move until there is slack...I moved on to a retractable leash giving her more of a lead and introduced "heel" when she started to pull. Every time I say "heel" she knows she has to come right next to me (at my heel)...of course she gets treats. Treats, praise, and patience are the key. Good luck!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'd rather have a front clip harness than have my puppy choking. 5 months is still a bit young to expect the puppy not to pull. I would carry a clicker and treats on walks, call pup back to you often, mark reward and praise pup for loose leash. There are methods to train the loose leash walking. google video...quite a few youtubes are available on the subject.
I also have a 5 month old, and minus the harness, this is what I have done. I have a guy who for the most part is decent on a loose leash now (he still pulls or darts off, work in progress). The clicker and treats helped a lot, or sometimes I'll bring his favourite toy (that squeaks) to get his focus back.

The main thing we're struggling with now is the pulling to go meet other people, and pulling/barking at other dogs.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
you could use the clicker/treat/squeaky before pup starts zoning in. The book Control Unleashed has some great exercises for redirecting this behavior.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
My pup is almost 5 months old as well. His problem is no impulse control outside (that results in pulling/lunging). He completed his puppy class but starts two dog training classes (one starts this week and the other starts next week). I figure he will be going to classes for the next two years at least!

I didn't really want a young pup but that's what I ended up with. Yeah, I was dreading it and I was right. My patience isn't so hot any more. I endure the puppy stage and can't wait for adulthood!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys, I watched a couple of videos on loose leash training and have been giving it a shot. I have to say Harvey is a quick learner because he already seems to be responding to the pops for corrective and slows down.

Last walk I took him on he did not choke himself at all, I think a combination of the pops and the slight tiring him out with some play may have helped.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts