German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the prong/choke collar has been a topic of debate for some time now. I have a question, however. If someone has a puppy who is less than a year old/age you can use a prong and you must use a choke which style would you prefer and why? (This is assuming of coarse you are on a desert island and cant find a martingale/dont like them/etc etc etc)

And why are fursavers forever on schutzhund dogs? To be able to have different corrections? The prong is only to increase drive?

I am a real fan of the prong, but would never put it on a puppy. Thinking ahead to the puppy though..(which isnt any time soon)

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Fursaver does not necessarily have to act like a choke collar. Clip it on any of its oval links and it's just a dead collar. It's really nice collar to have in training because you can clip a leash on the collar from any position in no time. You don't have to fumble around for the ring.

Prong can be used to increase drive in certain situation but give it a good enough tug and it's an aversive.

·
Registered
152 Posts
We started using a prong on our pup when he was 6-months.
He'd be a pulling machine and difificult to walk without one.

I would highly recommend proper training lessons when using the prong though in order to use it safely and to it's full effectiveness.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I guess I'm a terrible dog mamma because Zoe had a prong from 4 months on and walks like a dream on a nylon collar these days. I could see if you were using the prong to give a deliberate correction 4 months would be too young, but Zoe would get ahead of me and automatically the prong would tighten because I use intentionally short leashes at this age for this exact purpose. I would say eh eh and she would turn to look at me and slow her pace getting a treat for doing so.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Same here ..We started using a prong collar at 4 months with Zorro. Needless to mention, it was never used to give him a strong correction at that your age. It works great..

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
The fursaver is the mandated collar to be worn by the dog in trial. I find it fairly useless for corrections, unless the dog already understands the concept of a correction. I would not use a nylon slip/dominant dog collar unless I had a particular goal in mind. Those collars can be good for suppression.

Actually I would not use any kind of choke collar on a puppy. I would use a flat until I graduate to a prong. I consider 5 months and about 50lbs an acceptable time to start using the prong if necessary. If I really had to do something before that I would prefer a no pull harness over a choke.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have had a fursaver on my pup since he was 10 weeks old. I never put it on the "live" ring, it's always on a "dead" ring. I like being able to clip the leash on any ring.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I've been putting a prong on Riley since 6 months or so I guess. She got VERY excited to go to puppy daycare and practically dragged me to the door. My back said NO MORE. I don't use it for correction, the tightening when she pulls is all she gets and it works wonders. I can now walk her without pain or fear of her dragging me along.

to be honest I didn't have much faith in it, but the first time she wore it and pulled, end of problem.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I put both pups on a prong about 5-6 mos old and they responded so well. Talk about instant focus and attention! They were both in obedience classes and were fitted by the trainers. I agree with StellaSquash, the instant it goes on the results are immediate. Stosh is now 9 mos and I only use it when we go to a strange place and I want to be sure I have control- gives us both confidence and assurance that all will go well

·
Registered
891 Posts
I put both pups on a prong about 5-6 mos old and they responded so well. Talk about instant focus and attention! They were both in obedience classes and were fitted by the trainers. I agree with StellaSquash, the instant it goes on the results are immediate. Stosh is now 9 mos and I only use it when we go to a strange place and I want to be sure I have control- gives us both confidence and assurance that all will go well
Ditto that. I also use a fur saver as a regular collar as that it can be used as a choke or on a dead ring. Wolf has very strong drives and I had to do something that gave me some control. We started using a prong only when he goes out in public or gets introduced to new people. It became necessary at about 7 mos.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts