German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of choke collar would you guys recommend for my dog? She's about a year and a half old. I don't really like the idea of prong collars. I mostly just walk my dog at the park or around my neighborhood.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I think prong collars are safer and more useful than a choke collar.

What is the collar going to be used for? Leash pulling?
If so I would try the sensations harness

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Prong collars are actually less dangerous than a choke chain. just an FYI. and the prong is a training/control tool. If fitted properly the prong collars can keep the dog from lunging. Choke chains have been known to damage the windpipe because MANY people misuse them. Damaged windpipes can kill. I would speak with an experienced trainer.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I didn't know about that guys. I thought prong were more dangerous by the looks of it. I just read on here a brand called HS. Thats the way to go huh.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
you will definitely want to make sure the prong collar is fitted properly which means you would want a trainer to help you fit it. they arent meant to be loose.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Check out one of the front clip harnesses like the Sense-ation harness or the Easy Walk harness. I've found them much more effective to help with pulling and no chance of making my dog yelp.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Here are 2 threads you may want to check out

http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...6989-what-your-reason-using-prong-collar.html

http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...-what-do-you-use-other-than-prong-collar.html

If leash pulling is the only problem I would try the sense-ation (thanks for spelling it for me Ruth :) ) harness

If you decide to use the prong and do not have a trainer to help you. Leerburg.com has videos on proper fitting. Herm Springer has a good quality reputation.

Prongs can still do damage if used incorrectly. I would not use one without the aid of a trainer if you have no experience.

·
Registered
391 Posts
don't think a prong is more confusing then it is... I didn't have 'official training' on using a prong with Riley. I didn't have to. I put her prong on (herm sprenger) and she self corrects. all I do is hold the leash. When she pulls, the collar tightens and she immediately stops pulling. I do not jerk or tighten the collar in any way.

now if you're wanting one for correction other than leash walking, then I would recommend investigating the proper use. learning how to properly correct using a prong is a very good idea.

for leash walking, I tried the head/halter style (two different styles I believe) and none worked as fast or as effortlessly as the prong.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I had good luck with the Easy Walk harness and the Sense-ation harness. Gentle leaders tend to just distract them more than halp with pulling (my experience anyway) Stay away from choke chains - unless trained in them properly they end up causing more damage than harm since they can continue to tighten and tighten. A prong will at least only go to a certain point. I would try the top two I meantioned first though. Good luck!

·
Registered
492 Posts
I agree. I think a prong collar is the way to go. I don't like the collars with the snap(in your link), I usually put them on by undoing one of the prongs. Denali Girl put a good link up above. Just a plain old Prong collar is best IMO.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the fit in one is better than than snapping one. I will go to my local Petsmart to look for one.

·
5,627 Posts
So the fit in one is better than than snapping one. I will go to my local Petsmart to look for one.
The ones with the quick release can come undone when you need the collar the most. A PetSmart employee will discourage you from buying the prong and will not know how to help you fit it properly. Also, the collars sold at PetSmart can be cheap, make sure the edges of the prong are rounded.

I hope if you are set on the prong collar that you read the "how to fit a prong" article posted above.

I agree with others that if your only problem is pulling, a no pull harness and some training are the better way to go.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
my dog started on a flat collar untill he was 4 maybe 6 months old.
by then he wasn't pulling. i've never used a prong on any of my dogs.
i taught my dogs to heel on either side with or without a leash.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
teach your dog to heel on either side with
or without a collar. i've never used a prong.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I didn't have 'official training' on using a prong with Riley. I didn't have to. I put her prong on (herm sprenger) and she self corrects. all I do is hold the leash. When she pulls, the collar tightens and she immediately stops pulling. I do not jerk or tighten the collar in any way.
The problem with this method, and the reason why people usually will tell you not to let your dog self-correct on a prong collar, is that you are not actually teaching your dog that you want her to walk nicely on a leash. You've only taught her that she can't pull as long as she has a prong collar on.

So if you put her on a regular flat collar, she is probably going to pull you down the road just like she did before you introduced the prong collar. The better way to use the prong would be to introduce it as a training device with the goal of going to a flat collar once she has learned to walk nicely. That requires you to actively teach her HOW to walk nicely - by praising and rewarding her for doing it and correcting her for not doing it - and eventually transition to a regular collar.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The problem with this method, and the reason why people usually will tell you not to let your dog self-correct on a prong collar, is that you are not actually teaching your dog that you want her to walk nicely on a leash. You've only taught her that she can't pull as long as she has a prong collar on.

So if you put her on a regular flat collar, she is probably going to pull you down the road just like she did before you introduced the prong collar. The better way to use the prong would be to introduce it as a training device with the goal of going to a flat collar once she has learned to walk nicely. That requires you to actively teach her HOW to walk nicely - by praising and rewarding her for doing it and correcting her for not doing it - and eventually transition to a regular collar.
well.. it works for us. :)

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Why not use the prong for every walk for the rest of the dog's life?
Because the prong collar, just like a head halter, front-clip harness, e-collar, clicker, etc. is a TRAINING device. It's a tool to use to attain your goal (a dog that heels nicely on a regular flat collar), not a permanent solution. It's like keeping training wheels on your bicycle for the rest of your life because "they work".

1 - 20 of 27 Posts