German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on choke chains? I don't like to use them for training but I had a "trainer" explain to me that I could not properly train my dog without one. Thoughts?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I personally think they look nice, but have no value when it comes to training. My GSD has one for looks... for walks/training he wears a prong.

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
I don't get "they look nice, my dog has one for looks"?
Does your dog wear it all the time?
I would never use a choke collar, there are better options. As far as the trainer saying a dog can't be trained without one, the evidence is overwhelming that he is wrong about that.

I do use a fursaver, but always on the dead ring, and it is never on my dog unless we are training.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
He wears it a lot, but not all the time and not when his prong is on. It has a nylon cord weaved into it. I bought it for looks, honestly. He looks good with it on. It's just cosmetic, nothing more.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I've seen a few
oversized fur savers used as a back up collar for prongs on the dead ring. But otherwise viewed as outdated if I am perceiving correctly.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on choke chains? I don't like to use them for training but I had a "trainer" explain to me that I could not properly train my dog without one. Thoughts?
Train your dog to do what? Choke?

Because if the answer is anything else, that person's wrong. :p

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
So to be devils advocate, do you not think, used correctly, that a choke chain can be another tool in training?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So to be devils advocate, do you not think, used correctly, that a choke chain can be another tool in training?

If you are asking me I think it can be used if done properly. The person training with it today in no way use it properly. She jerked up on it so hard once that the dog she was walking yelped. In my opinion there should never be a point in training when the dog is hurt.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I've seen a few
oversized fur savers used as a back up collar for prongs on the dead ring. But otherwise viewed as outdated if I am perceiving correctly.
I might be reading this wrong, but fursavers and choke chains are different. And fursavers are used in a lot of sports still. They are awesome because you can clip the leash anywhere on the collar. I hate the choke collars I *believe OP is referring to. I've never used my fursaver on the "live" ring, so I can't comment to the effectiveness of that. But I do love the ability to clip the leash on anywhere :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use a choke chain to train. Tried the flat collar and positive stuff and got nothing but a very reactive dog that way. Spent hundreds of dollars with a behaviorist trainer doing it her way. After my vet had to muzzle the dog to do an examination, he told me to get another trainer who used a different technique. He couldn't believe what my puppy had turned into since he had last seen him. New trainer and a choke collar has made a world of difference. Sorry, I don't believe that all dogs can be trained using only positive techniques. We use appropriate corrections when needed and praise when warranted.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Two of my dogs wear what is half choke and have nylon. My oldest is famous for slipping out of her collar and this one works well for her. I'm going to get the golden a regular flat collar next week. I do not use them for training purposes.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
What's the context around the trainer saying this? Just curious. Whether I agree or disagree, context is everything. Is this the protection trainer you mentioned in another thread?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I use a choke chain to train. Tried the flat collar and positive stuff and got nothing but a very reactive dog that way. Spent hundreds of dollars with a behaviorist trainer doing it her way. After my vet had to muzzle the dog to do an examination, he told me to get another trainer who used a different technique. He couldn't believe what my puppy had turned into since he had last seen him. New trainer and a choke collar has made a world of difference. Sorry, I don't believe that all dogs can be trained using only positive techniques. We use appropriate corrections when needed and praise when warranted.
Glad you found a method that worked for you and your dog! What kind of choke collar do you use?

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
I don't think any collar that can constrict should ever, ever be left on a dog unsupervised.
Choke collars, slip collars, fursavers are for training, not for looks or holding tags. A martingale is safer, and dogs can't slip out of them.
One reason many people use choke collars is because they are cheap.
I hated them when I volunteered with a rescue, the dogs with no training were always put on choke collar because they were cheap and easy to slip on.
Dogs were choking themselves as they pulled the volunteers all over the place.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts

You can train a dog without the use of a choke chain.

Personally I refuse to use them for any reason because they don't have a stopping point. They will cinch. They've been linked to damaged tracheas/airways and in some cases even death because they were not used properly. You'll get better, safer results from a prong collar. A prong collar has a stopping point.

A dog wearing a choke chain also known as a slip chain will often pull and pull until they're hacking and coughing and still they'll pull. A dog on a prong collar is FAR less likely to do that.

Many dogs have been trained without the use of anything but a flat collar, a regular leash and a patient handler.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What's the context around the trainer saying this? Just curious. Whether I agree or disagree, context is everything. Is this the protection trainer you mentioned in another thread?
Not for protection, just basic obedience. She refuses to use any other collar other than a choke chain. When the dog doesn't do the proper exercise, sit, heal, stay, she jerks it very hard upward. To me it seemed like a very harsh way of training. Especially for a dog that is very easy to train.

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
Find another trainer.....

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Two of my dogs wear what is half choke and have nylon. My oldest is famous for slipping out of her collar and this one works well for her. I'm going to get the golden a regular flat collar next week. I do not use them for training purposes.

Isn't this a martingale? If so, it's not at all a choke collar because it has a stop (which choke collars do not have). This is a martingale:

·
Registered
629 Posts
I might be reading this wrong, but fursavers and choke chains are different. And fursavers are used in a lot of sports still. They are awesome because you can clip the leash anywhere on the collar. I hate the choke collars I *believe OP is referring to. I've never used my fursaver on the "live" ring, so I can't comment to the effectiveness of that. But I do love the ability to clip the leash on anywhere :)

They're the same thing in my book. Fur saver only has bigger links to allegedly not break the fur vs smaller links on check chains.

You can still give corrections with a fur saver -how effective they are meh.

What I meant is using a fur saver or a check chain to give a correction seems to be less popular now -which is what I think the OP is talking about.

They are required and worn but are they in use correction-wise? Checking out a few clubs in my area and it doesn't seem to be the case -prongs more prominent.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Not for protection, just basic obedience. She refuses to use any other collar other than a choke chain. When the dog doesn't do the proper exercise, sit, heal, stay, she jerks it very hard upward. To me it seemed like a very harsh way of training. Especially for a dog that is very easy to train.

I hate corrections on an ever-constricting collar(meaning there is no stopping point). That's why I like the fursaver, it can be clipped on any of the "dead" rings, and you can give a correction without pulling the fur, like a flat collar would.

The reason I asked the context is because I was wondering if she just didn't want to train on a flat collar, corrections on flat collars, or any pulling on a flat collar can pull the fur.

Does the dog know the commands she is giving a correction for disobeying? There shouldn't be corrections unless the dog KNOWS the command.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts