German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-

Last week a trainer noticed that my 10 mo GSD Buddy could not sit for a long time. She said his toes stuck straight out and we should see our vet. Instead I called the breeder since she has been in the business for 40 years and she had me come out. She suspected his back/knee/or pelvis was the issue and had a chiropractor come out as he sees her dogs too. They both looked at Buddy and said he is walking on his toes. They also said two of his middle vertebrae were out of alignment, as well as his shoulder and one knee. Now, his was a runt and is skinny ( 58 lbs) and on a RAW diet as he is allergic to commercial dog food, but otherwise healthy. The dr. performed some adjustments and said to bring him back for another look on Friday. He'll need to be watched until he is two.
Well, since we came home he has been jumping around like a jackrabbit. We have a 7 month old hound mix that is the alpha and typically wrestles him and jumps on him etc. The breeder/dr says that's what may have caused these issues, or he may have fallen, etc. The dogs play rough and were outside most of the summer, so this is possible.
Does anyone have a similar experience?

Bev, Buddy and Trixie

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Yeah, they can tweak their backs (and even joints) doing all sorts of things, even jumping in and out of a car.

Regular adjustments will help them maintain mibility and keep structures moving. Some research shows that the adjustments that keep the joints moving, help delay arthritis even.

Both mine get regular adjustments. My little one for the last 8 yrs, and the GSD for about 6 yrs. How regular depends on the dog, activity level, bone struture, etc. Some dogs might do well with once a month or every other month or so. Because of chronic issues, mine go every ar or 4 weeks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update-

Hi everyone-

Buddy has had three adjustments and is doing great. His trainer said he looks much better. He's also started to bulk up, which is good since at 10 months he only weighed 58 lbs.

Now he doesn't need any more treatments unless we notice limping or walking on toes again.

Bev

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
A vet who is a chiropractor trains with us some. We noticed one dog was having trouble getting straight fronts. She adjusted him and he was fine. He had had a big crash playing with a GSD girl.

My old female loves her chiropractor.

·
Registered
95 Posts
could chiropractic care help w/ ear infections too? (along with diet)
growing up my mother always tried to take us to be adjusted brfore taking us to the M.D. How do you find a k9 chiro?

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I have taken my dogs to a chiro off and on,,when my female was agility competing, she went on a regular basis.

does WONDERFUL things for our dogs:))

My chiro does hands on adjusting as well as using the 'zapper' as I call it. plus acupuncture and chinese meds..

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
you're talking veterinary chiros, right?
The chiropractor my dogs go to also adjusts humans and other animals (horses, cats, etc.) I take them 2 or 3 times a year when they are younger, and if there's no specific problem. As they age I take them more often - Anja is 9 now, she gets an adjustment every other month. Conor is 3 and goes every 6 months or so, unless he does something goofy. It's a great resource, and I can't recommend it highly enough. Be aware though, just like in any profession, the quality of care can vary greatly. I did a lot of research before settling on the gentleman who is currently adjusting my dogs.

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
I'm just curious does every chiropracter use the same method to do adjustments? Mine uses a small tool that lightly bumps the area and gives a click at a certain frequency to adjust. It seems to be working and she doesn't mind it one bit.
I'm wondering if you have someone that is practicing VOM, which isn't quite chiropractic.

I've taken my dogs to 3 different AVCA certified chiros, and each of them use their hands, and not an activator. However, some trained chiros will use the activator when necessary.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Canine Chiropractor

Hi-

Last week a trainer noticed that my 10 mo GSD Buddy could not sit for a long time. She said his toes stuck straight out and we should see our vet. Instead I called the breeder since she has been in the business for 40 years and she had me come out. She suspected his back/knee/or pelvis was the issue and had a chiropractor come out as he sees her dogs too. They both looked at Buddy and said he is walking on his toes. They also said two of his middle vertebrae were out of alignment, as well as his shoulder and one knee. Now, his was a runt and is skinny ( 58 lbs) and on a RAW diet as he is allergic to commercial dog food, but otherwise healthy. The dr. performed some adjustments and said to bring him back for another look on Friday. He'll need to be watched until he is two.
Well, since we came home he has been jumping around like a jackrabbit. We have a 7 month old hound mix that is the alpha and typically wrestles him and jumps on him etc. The breeder/dr says that's what may have caused these issues, or he may have fallen, etc. The dogs play rough and were outside most of the summer, so this is possible.
Does anyone have a similar experience?

Bev, Buddy and Trixie
My first post here. I am the author of The Well Adjusted Dog--Canine Chiropractic Methods You Can Do. I can answer some questions here about animal chiropractic. Types of treatment, legalities, etc.
Daniel Kamen, D.C.
Certified Animal Chiropractor

·
Registered
27,244 Posts
Canine Chiro, Do you ever treat dogs with seizure disorders & do you have a website?

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
My first post here. I am the author of The Well Adjusted Dog--Canine Chiropractic Methods You Can Do. I can answer some questions here about animal chiropractic. Types of treatment, legalities, etc.
Daniel Kamen, D.C.
Certified Animal Chiropractor

Very cool, welcome to the board!!

I have your book somewhere, but it actually made me nervous to try and use some of the techniques. I will have to go find the book and see if I can find the one that I'm thinking of.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Canine Chiro, Do you ever treat dogs with seizure disorders & do you have a website?
Seizure disorders are common and are regularly treated with chiropractic techniques. These procedures are only done after a veterinarian has carefully examined your dog. The upper cervicals (the first two neck bones right below the base of the skull--Atlas and Axis) are the areas which are adjusted for this to release any nerve pressure at the site of the brainstem. Most veterinary chiropractors use an instrument called The Activator or C.A.T. (Chiropractic Adjusting Tool) to adjust these areas. To get a good idea how this is done, you can visit my website which is animalchiropractic.com then scroll down to and click on video clip number 4. This shows the entire Activator adjusting sequence which includes adjusting the first two neck bones.
Dr. Kamen

1 - 20 of 42 Posts