German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(Title edit: I meant 'canine tooth') A few weeks ago I noticed that a chip had come off Griff's upper canine tooth. The enamel chipped off a small spot. I think it happened during playing together when teeth clashed. Took him to the vet and she said that nothing can be done until the tooth is fully down a month from now. I asked if they could at least seal it to protect against bacteria, until the dentistry vet sees him next month. But I got a 'no'. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
It chipped on an adult tooth? What did they say about sealing it? That's what I would do as well.

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
When Nyx had a cracked tooth recently, my regular vet gave me a similar response. The Vet dentist said sealing and or any repair work on a tooth needs to happen within a week of the injury. But in my case, there was a chance that the crack may have breached the pulp because I saw blood. A chip in just the enamel shouldn't allow any bacteria in, so waiting longer I would think should be fine. Only a vet dentist can seal a tooth though, and the tooth has to be cleaned well first, so it requires anesthesia. Might be worth considering if it's a large chip given his young age, but it is not cheap! Nyx's tooth was $533.00. Nyx looks like a movie star after the procedure, her teeth are very very white now!

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
Call the veterinary dentist and see if they can get you in sooner or call around for other dentists if you have other options. We have one single veterinary dentist that I know of locally, but even then we got seen within a week or so.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I would try to find another dentist that can get you in sooner. It's a bummer that it had to be his new adult tooth.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called a local dentistry vet who fixes the police dogs' teeth! Couldn't be better. I am waiting for her to call me back. Thank Heavens for pet insurance.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She stopped by on her way home (what a service!!) and gets me in within two weeks to have it sealed to keep bacteria out. Capped when fully in and it should be fully functional. Ching, ching!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I'm glad you were able to find someone that can help you sooner!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts