German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a natural, alternative therapy for Grimm. He has a problem I am going to try to explain here.. if I can. He is bombproof, rock solid nerves-- loves fireworks, jaclhammers ripping up pavement, and chainsaws at full throttle. You can't intimidate or frighten him-- he's rocksolid. BUT-- he is what might be called 'a nervous disposition.' Best I can explain-- in a new situation, he yammers, races about, is restless, vocally jabbering, etc. He does settle nicely on his own, of his own accord, after 5 minutes. (that is a lonnnng 5 mins.. he is big, i am not LOL) When he settles, he is not hyperalert, just calm.. then something in the new environment sets him off again.

And in general, in life, he is quick to react, be emotional, in his daily living experiences. This is hard to explain-- he reacts and gets excited easily. Changes in life are not easy for Grimm. He gets emotional, strongly so, too easily.. and being upset... upsets him. (best i can do to explain sorry)

I know in part this can to a degree be a training issue, and Grimm needs to know I am in control, but we do NILIF, we incorperate training into our daily living, etc. I need to find a way to soothe Grimm's *tendency* to get hyped up and upset in new situations and in general.

Anyone have experience in Bach flower, Chinese Traditional Medicine, homeopathy-- for calm? I want to balance Grimm's nervous fire and help him remain on a more even keel. Anyone have input regarding Bach flower, CTM, homeopathy for this?

I want to try to order the TTouch DVD, too.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Have you tried Turid Rugaas' calming signals in these situations?

I have used Reiki (am a practitioner), herbal medicine and flower remedies.

My favorite flower essences come from Green Hope Farm
http://www.greenhopeessences.com/ and they have an Animal Wellness collection of which a few sound like what you may be looking for.

For calming in a new situation which you anticipate in advance, I recommend Reiki above all. I have used it on extremely nervous, fearful animals when taking them to the vet with fantastic results. It is just great stuff and anyone can do it. There are lots of Reiki classes everywhere so try to find a teacher whom you feel comfortable with and take Levels I and II.

I think you will like it because it has so much to offer for everyone in your life and whatever type of things come up. The only thing is it can be time consuming. I usually spend 20-30 minutes for one issue at a time and I can't always do it because I have to be calm and relaxed too. And I am usually tired, exhausted, with way too much on my plate. But I have little amulets and mantras to help me stop time for just a minute and tune in to the Reiki energy and let it flow.

Just my pitch for something I know works great for my critters!

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the Reiki reminder, Strongheart!

I have read Rugaas's Calming Signals book. Useful info there.

I am really looking for an herbal, Back flower, homeoptahy, or Chinese Traditional Medicine herbal treatment that will control his *tendency* to get overexcited, nervous, hyped up-- in general, throughout his daily living. I am looking for an herbal preparation that has worked well for others with dogs who need the excessive inner fire eased, quelled a bit.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
i have used "rescue remedy" and it does help. also look into lavender, alot of people spray it around the home for a calming effect on dogs and people. there are also grooming products with lavander that might help.

debbie

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dbbie, i looove the smell of lavender. Those lavender pillows are the best!

What about a daily herba Chinese Traditional Medicine preparation, used as a re-balancing supplement, basicly.. I am looking for something to re-balance him daily.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
Patti,
actually, it wouldn't hurt for you to start using lavander on yourself. he will associate a calming sense when your around him no matter where you guys are. worth a try, and since you yourself like lavender it won't be a hardship to start wearing it as perfume, better smelling than some of the holistic blends for sure!

debbie

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Where would I buy lavander spray?

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What sort of herbal daily prep from Chinese Traditional Medicine can anyone siggest? I know not too many here follow CTM... but I am a HUGE believer after watching those herbs forever banish recurrent chronic perianal fistulas in my old GSD. AMAZING.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I can't really help you except to give you a couple links that might give you a start in finding what you're looking for.

This is for Bach Flower remedies. I don't see anyone listed for Germany, but they have some listings for some European countries:
http://www.bachcentre.com/
http://www.nelsons.net/

I posted this in the Senior Section but am not sure if you saw it or not. It's for the Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine store that's close to here. Maybe they can help you find someone in Germany that can help you find what you're looking for.
http://www.tcvm.com/

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
any health food store should have lavender extract in the form of spray. you could make your own like i do. i grow lavender in my garden.

debbie

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
The bachflower remedies that could help Grimm would be Vervain (hyperactivity, overenthusiasm), Impatience (for lack of patience, irritability) and maybe Chicory (possessiveness, attention seeking).

My male was on Chicory & Vervain and I could see an improvement within three days (even other people noticed it).

I've never used Reiki to calm an animal before. I never had the impression that this is what is needed-maybe because the animal is to much "out of the world" at the moment to accept it?

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have used Bach's Rescue Remedy. It worked like a miracle on one of my dogs that is nervous but did nothing at all for similar behavior in one of my other dogs. Chamomile and Valerian are known for calming effects also - you can make tea.

I agree that Reiki works very well for calming in most cases (but not all). Calming self first and then applying Reiki to your animal.

You might find some great resources at the Tallgrass site:
<span style="color: #3333FF">Animal Acupressure</span>

Check out their books under the store link, located on left side of home page.

Acupressure, like Acupuncture, is based in Traditional Chinese Medicine. Theories involving not only meridians but also the 5-Elements, etc.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Hi Patti,

I sometimes use CHM. I will do some research for you with the books I have here. There are some traditional Native American herbs that would work too but probably aren't as accessible for you. I have a Native American friend who is an herbalist so I will check with him and let him know you are in Germany. Will they let someone like that into the country? If so I think you can order directly from him. He has prepared herbs for my dogs and me before.

Germany also has some great homeopathic companies so I'm sure there are some great homeopathic vets too.

Do you have "Four Paws, Five Directions?" That's got great meridian charts and info on balancing with food, etc.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
For a long time I have consulted with a master herbalist and referred clients to her. She is fantastic and knows all about TCM too. I am just not into that (mostly because they kill tigers, bears, to me - it's 'bad medicine' as the old medicine men say). I could PM you her contact info if you like.

Reiki has multiple uses, you can use it for your checkbook, your food, all sorts of things. You can be really creative with it. You could use it to identify which of Grimm's chakras is out of balance and help him open it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Ruth and MyrikaBetula (loooove that name)
Mädchen and Strongheart. Thank you for replying!

Mädchen, thank you so much--
I will do some research on these herbs. Grimm is exactly as you say, precisely. I wonder if using these herbs I may need to see a different vet than my own? I was shocked (pleasantly surprised!) that here in Germany my own vet gave me Nux Vomica and Mercury Solubilis homeöpathie for Grimm when his tummy and intestines were unsettled. Maybe the vet will know someone who can give correct dosage ideas for 37 kg Grimm.

Ruth, I really do need to get Four Paws Five Directions, you are totally right! It's hard for me to get English books here. Even when the German sites say they can get it, I get an email saying "Sorry, but.." So, I am going to try paying the (ouch) Amazon shipping maybe.

Strongheart, thank you for thinking of Grimm with the CTM. I am interested in trying whatever seems safe in rebalancing him. While I understand some people admire this fire in a dog, it works against him and causes him problems. I want him to feel comfortable and well. He's my

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mädchen, I found a lady in my town who does "Naturheilkunde & Homeöpathie für Tiere"-- I will contact her and see if she can help Grimm.

I think much of the problems are because Grimm has not had an outlet for his need to burn off energy in a natural, free-running way. But
1) Now he is away for 3 - 4 weeks to be completely off-lead trained (come, heel, especially around distractions like bikes, joggers, dogs, kids etc), and
2) After seven months here, I have finally found a huge, enormous grassy, woodsy free area on the border between towns where you can see nothing but fields for miles, woods with park paths, streams with hills, bridges.. and not a soul there during the week. It is a 10 minute walk from our home. Totally do-able!

These things mean Grimm can finally have an outlet for a little off-lead ball-playing or running. The city rules where I live forbid dogs over 20 lbs being off-lead, but, this is actually outside city limits. Not that I would have Grimm *ever* be off-lead when we see someone coming. There is no sense in frightening someone, even if all they see is a large dog chasing a ball over a hill.... it is, after all, their walk, too. Anyway, it is a possibility for Grimm, until we move to a much more rural area.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Originally Posted By: BrightelfHi ...and MyrikaBetula (loooove that name)
...thanks!

Originally Posted By: BrightelfI am interested in trying whatever seems safe in rebalancing him. While I understand some people admire this fire in a dog, it works against him and causes him problems. I want him to feel comfortable and well.
You may already know this but I figure I'd chime in here anyway.

Acupressure works to bring the body (whole body) into balance. So - for lack of better wording - with excess Fire, the specific finger-pressure pattern used would be applied to calm/lessen that energy or bring into balance.

Also, massage therapy can work miracles for calming/hyperactive/excess of Firey types of energy. Even if it's started with bits and pieces when Grimm is sleeping, if that is what it takes. Massage, as well as, Acupressure and Reiki are techniques that you yourself can use with Grimm. Having your hands on him in this way is not only beneficial for you being "the first line of defense" in his health care & welfare, aside from your Vet, it's also a great way to bond with your dog which brings about miracles in itself.

In my professional opinion (as a licensed human massage therapist and Reiki practitioner, I practice both massage & Reiki with horses & dogs for a living), application of "skilled" Massage Therapy, Acupressure, and Reiki are all safe for use on animals. I firmly believe in empowering the animal's keeper.

That said, I also believe in using a combination of what works for each of our animals and not in any one specific healing modality - including homeopathy.

Am looking forward to reading what works for Grimm!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts