German Shepherds Forum banner
221 - 229 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Re: Chillicothe John/Seamus

Oh Diane I am so sorry to hear this - How are Freya and Thor doing?

·
Registered
904 Posts

Diane, are you out there? We all want to hear from you.

Karen

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·

I just thought I'd bring everyone up to date on conversations with the vets who not only cared for Thor and Seamus but had Seamus boarding with them for 10 days so were able to watch his behavior first hand.

I had to take Thor up today because his cheek was swelling (it looked like he had a big huge gumball in his mouth), and I was concerned that his puncture had become infected. I met with one of the two big bosses, Dr. B, who checked Thor, withdrew fluid (turned out to be just serum with no sign of pus or infection) and gave him a shot, after telling me that it will recede slowly but it will recede. Otherwise he's okay.

Just a note, he's okay at home as well...eating well again and pretty much his old playful self once again. Freya still lifts her head and whimpers at odd noises but she too is beginning to calm down. I purchased two new balls today, and they have been romping happily, balls clenched in their mouths, all evening. The house is quiet and calm, though I find myself behaving like Freya...I keep listening for Seamus and still expecting to see him bouncing on all four, a stupid grin on his face when I come into view. I still find myself crying at odd moments.

But back to Dr. B. You may remember I mentioned the statue-like pose and the frozen stare just prior to his sudden move against Freya. I had seen this before and every time it preceded an aggressive move of some type...a snarl, a growl, a barking tirade or a lunge. Dr. B, during the time he spent at their boarding kennel, noted the same thing. It is her opinion that that frozen, glassy-eyed stare and posture is indicative to her from her experience that he was experiencing a seizure of some kind, and that those seizures triggered some terrifying memory which obstructed his ability to see his surroundings clearly...and thus simultaneously triggering his fear aggression. He was in a 'red zone'...he <u>didn't see</u> Freya, didn't <u>care about</u> her food, all he saw was one of his 'demons'. Terrified?? Oh yes, he certainly was....and nothing could reach him to ease that terror. That's what hurts the most...that I could not find the note that would calm him, that would give him the feeling of safety he so desperately needed.

The fact that he didn't come out of it last Monday as he always had before however was also scary to me and to the vet who was in attendance. I used the phrase, "something snapped in his brain" (or something like that) and Dr. B. agreed, at least as a way of describing his reaction. She suggested that if he's been suffering seizures for a long period of time, this might have been the last and worst one that he just couldn't shake, one where he simply couldn't come out of that 'red zone'. Although I have been feeling overwhelming moments of failure and guilt for a week now over my decision, Dr. B. said it was the best choice. His behavior was unpredictable at the best of times, but rarely directed at humans. The fact that he had become as violent towards me and the vet tells her that he was no longer safe to live with. Even if he had come out of it, he was no longer dependable, even with people.

Unfortunately, there is no treatment nor cure for seizures. They could have tried phenobarbital or some other medication but there would have been no guarantee that anything would have stopped him slipping into that 'red zone'. A car door slamming, voices of people walking by outside, a cat meowing somewhere could have triggered the same reaction.

At least now, he is at peace...no seizures, no demons. Dr. B. said that when we go to heaven, we will find a great dog park full of all our former animal buddies, all of them with butterflies on their noses, balls in their mouths and squeaky toys enough to share...no pain, no fear, no aggression and plenty of wonderful food, warm beds and lots and lots of love. Personally, I'm so looking forward to that day so I can apologize to Channy for leaving him...and so I can see Seamus as he was truly meant to be.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

Hi Diane, I am so very sorry for your loss. I know your heart is broken but just know that I for one admire your strength with Seamus. I dont think you failed him, Someone may have failed him, but it was long before you came along and at least he had more happiness with you than he had had in probably his entire life. You gave him your best, no one could ask for more.

·
Registered
394 Posts

Originally Posted By: ShellyGI have not posted but have been following the story of Seamus from the beginning. Please know that you did more than many others would or could have done. Seamus was well loved at the end of his life. Don't beat yourself up and know that he is running free now.
God Bless
That says it better than I can. I have been reading this thread from the beginning, but have not been on for a while. To read about your apparent truimphs ending so tragically is heartbreaking. You did all you could for Seamus and he did know love and kindness and the joy of toys before the end, you gave him that. He is at peace now. I will be in the outer banks in May and just want to meet you to give you a big (((((((hug))))))), I have learned so much.
Thank you

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·

Ahhh another Canadian coming to the Outer Banks to try and annex us to Canada. *rotfl* You will have to fight Virginia and Maryland for that privilege during the merry month of May.

But please, do email me of your plans... [email protected] ...what town you're staying in and the dates you'll be here. I'd love to meet a fellow GSD lover. I'll even bring Thor and Freya to meet you.

·
Registered
964 Posts

Hope all is well your end. Does it get busy in the summer?
Has George and Thor had any interactions?

·
Registered
113 Posts

Thank you for a remarkably brave and honest series of posts. I've learned a lot reading through all of this.

The toughest lesson to learn about love is that sometimes you do the best you can and it isn't enough.

I'm glad you had a sympathetic and sensible vet. I hope that 2008 is a calmer, happier, less interesting year for you and the dogs.

·
Registered
27,329 Posts

Blast from the past, how did you find this post? This was quite a story, Diane needs to write a book!

221 - 229 of 229 Posts